All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:12 am

Post subject: Display Battle Rules
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:56 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Ok, so I wanted to display my models in a battle, but I didn't want them to get all dusty. So I started playing a game, but I decided to have it long term, a huge battle that would be, pretty much, never ending. So I decided to make some rules that would mean heroes could recover reserves in a long battle. Another reason I did this was because, I was grinding to a halt with my painting, so I decided that all newly painted models, would come in as reinforcements.

I thought I might post the rules, to see what you think and if you have any advice.

Thx

Rules For Table Battle with Painted Figures
Click to: Show
This new style of battle features a new phase, before the Priority Phase - The Deployment Phase

The Deployment Phase - Order of Action

1. First, if you have any models that are in the dead zone, choose which you would like to keep in the dead zone, and which you would like to send back to the battle.
2. Now, if you chose to have any people remain behind, roll to recover wounds, Might, Will and Fate.
3. Send in any models that you have chosen from the appropriate position.

1. A turn can happen once a day, or more if I finish a model. If I finish a model, put them in the dead zone. Roll 1 D6. on a 4+ a turn commences in the priority phase. Move the dead models on in the corresponding place.
2. The place where a model comes in depends on which book they are from. Mordor arrives from the South-West corner. The Fallen Realms come on from the North-West corner. Moria and Angmar come on the West board edge, on the South half, at least 6" from a corner. Evil Hobbit models come on the West board edge, on the North half, at least 6" from a corner. Kingdoms of Men arrive from the South-East corner. The Free Peoples (Elves) come on from the North-East corner. The Free Peoples (other) come on the East board edge, on the South half, at least 6" from a corner. Good Hobbit models come on the East board edge, on the North half, at least 6" from a corner.
3. A model can go to the dead zone before it dies if it wants to regain wounds, etc. by moving off the board from the same place it came on. If it leaves in his way, it doesn't need to roll when returning to the battle if it is a hero and doesn't lose its hero status if it is nominated. A model leaving in this way cannot use it as a safe place, and must either return to battle, or try to regain a point.
4. When a model dies place it in the dead zone. It will come back on the next turn unless you choose for it to stay longer. For every extra turn a hero stays in the dead pile, it can gets a roll to regain a Wound, or a point of Might, Will or Fate. Note that you cannot send a hero on without a wound, or a model with the Will of Evil special rule on without any Will. The roll to regain a wound can also be used to regain a wound of a mount if that model can have a mount. This cannot be used to regain a wound from another models mount.
5. Named Heroes must roll a D6 when returning to the battle. On a 4+ they enter the battle, but if they fail then they remain until the next turn. Nazgul count as named heroes.
6. If a warrior or an unnamed hero does an act that you think deserves special recognition, such as almost killing the Witch King if you are a random dwarf, or a random goblin town soldier killing Eomer, you can name them and promote them to hero status, by giving them an extra wound or 1 point of Might, Will or Fate. You cannot do this to Nazgul or mounts, but you can give them names if you want. If they die, then they lose their hero status and return to battle as a normal model like they were before, to represent that lesser heroes are easier to kill than those in the songs of old.
7. Warriors do NOT need to roll to recover wounds unless they have multiple wounds, but you can keep them in the dead zone, if you wish to send them in at the same time as your heroes for tactical reasons.
8. If a model was affected by a condition such as the Sap Will spell or Your Staff is Broken spell, these affects are removed when the model dies.
9. When rolling dice, they must land on the table.
10. Due to the fact that models return each turn, a force cannot be broken. Additionally, there are no leaders, and effectively, no point to the battle whatsoever, apart from to motivate the player to paint more to even up the forces, to try out newly painted people, for display purposes and to make a large battle that becomes more interesting as it goes on.
11. If you wish to move the deployment zones, then move all models that come on from that point, off the board and during the next turn, you can move the deployment area a distance equal to the lowest move value in the army, excluding objects that cannot move on their own. This can only be done once a month.