All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:33 am

Post subject: 1100 points Gondor vs Isengard; tactical advices and mini RP
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:36 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Good evening everyone! I'm writing this post because me and a couple of friends have just recently got back in the game after some years hiatus.

DISCLAIMER: our lists are not strictly bound to the official ones; for example, in my army i have Gondor, Arnor and some Dead warriors troops. Our idea (at the moment) is just to have fun using not-improbable lists (such as elves and harad,lol) is to represent the various contigents that a faction can field.

So, going back to the main topic; in a few weeks time i'm going to fight against my most dreaded foe, a friend of mine who fields and impressive army of Isengard with some Mordor contingents (Named nazguls, morgul cavalry ecc). Four days ago i decided to try an extravagant list with an equally extravagant tactic....that turned out to work just finrìe! Me and a friend of mine who uses Harad-Umbar-Easterlings fought a "to the death" match, where my tactic proved successful. I'll now explain you how things went, my list and ask for your advices on how i could improve it against my oncoming foe!
(sorry for the long post) First thing first, this is my list:
HEROES
-Boromir captain of the White tower (with Minas Tirith banner)
-Gandalf the Grey on foot
-Dol Amroth Captain on horse

WARRIORS
-13 Dol Amroth men at arms
-12 Guards of the fountain
-1 Citadel guard
-6 warriors of the dead
-6 warriors of Arnor
-4 Knights of Dol Amroth on foot
-7 Knights of Dol Amroth mounted and with lance

My tactic is based on a solid central phalanx with Boromir in the middle (with his +1F value for the warriors near him), with 4 KoDa on foot guarding the flanks. The left flank is composed of 12 Gondor rangers with bows and Gandalf, and the cavalry (at the beginning) is at the back of the army. The right wing, you may ask? It doesn't exist! :-D
Let me explain my idea (which kinda worked in my last match); while my big phalanx and solid left flank keep the enemy at bay, my opponent (noticing that i don't have a right flank) could do two things:
1) Try to flank me, to which i'd react by counter-flanking with my cavalry that i had left behind
2)Keep his cold blood and mantain still his left flank, to which i'd react by brutally charging with my cavalry (7 KoDa+captain) trying to break trough and wreak havoc or just to keep it busy until my phalanx has won.

Here are some pics from my last game on Saturday; my opponent, using the East, decided to counter my plans by keeping a small group of heroes and easterlings at the rear of his army, but a well-timed Heroic move was enough to outflank him and completely rout his force after a fierce fight in the center and in the left wing:
My deployment

His reaction: deploying forces on the rear and not on the flank to avoid my charge

The battlefield at the end; despite the heavy fighting, the victory is mine!

So, summing up: do you think that i would stand a chance using this army/tactic against a large Isengard force? What could i change/improve? From my point of view:
PROS
The bulk of the army is extremely solid, with most models having F4-5 thanks to Boromir. The warrios of the dead (supported) will punch a hole through his C3 uruks, and if everything goes smoothly his not-very-agile force (pikeblocks) willl be surrounded
CONS
very reduced mobility, if one of my flanks were not to hold i would be surrounded and butchered in a blink, therefore the need to be utterly aggressive with this army. Also, the left flank made of rangers could be heavily damaged by crossbow fire (even if i always use "Blinding light" with Gandalf).

Sorry for the massive post, all comments will be greatley appreciated!! Yours, Shap
 Post subject: Re: 1100 points Gondor vs Isengard; tactical advices and min
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:37 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Keep in mind not all your warriors get +1F, the ones that actually get are:
fountain guard
citadel guard
rangers

And thats it..

The problem of your oponent that used eastern force is that he
1st lacked on nasty heroes
2nd lacked on heavy hitters, umbar might have alot S and all but they lack on S to punch through.

In this case you´re fighting Uruk hai, they are much similar like yours with the exception they are considerable stronger.
Then they got other advantages:
- they got a better overall for all shamans
- they got nasty elite models with lots of attacks
- they got the dread crossbows
- they got high S hit heroes at cheap points with lots of might. And you say he got mordor stuff in it? ohh boy... those named nazguls can mess up your day even for heroes like gandalf.
If he wanna beat you, he has to go through the sheer number, once the front line of fountain guard drops, which for him are the hardest to kill, the remain will die at random 5+ or 4+ (depending on who is it)
I wouldnt be 2 concerned about the WoTD, they are nasty but only fight 3, to beat an uruk as a 1A F3 model its almost like asking your elf to hit 1 on 1 vs an hunter orc... if you win you win but you need a considerable dice roll of 50/50 chances to kill, if the uruk beats you back, every loss you get its like an uruk and half he get in advantage.

KoDA are nice shock troops, although the´re nastier with Imrahil cause of the banner 12" re-rolls.

Also Isengard got another thing not so well seen, but greatly appreciated if you go into that thick long wall formation = ballistas.
1 well place shoot, or even average hit, will hurt your lines so bad that its likely you gonna get bettewn 2 to 5 models dying a turn for a single ballista.
 Post subject: Re: 1100 points Gondor vs Isengard; tactical advices and min
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:05 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thank you for the feedback!! Well, actually (mainly because of the fact that i have 2 trabuchets and a gondor ballista ajahhahaah) we have agreed not to use any siege engines at all! Anywau,my opponent from the East had some pretty powerful heroes (Khamul, Amdur, an Hasharin an Dalmyr) but Boromir got rid of most of them.
I already know that my situation against Isengard does seem very bleak, but these are not the only gondor troops i have! So, which advices would you give me for the oncoming match? What kind of army could i deploy to cou ter that (OP in my opinion) heavy-hitting uruks force?