All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:11 pm

Post subject: Thoughts on Haldir defender of helmsdeep
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:06 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Has anyone used this version of Haldir recently? If so what are your thoughts on his usefulness and capability as a hero when compared to his base version or his brother? Also did/does the model come in metal or resin?

Post subject: Re: Thoughts on Haldir defender of helmsdeep
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:31 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I have used him just to find out about the profile. he's inferior to his normal version and not even close to Rumil. The problem with him is that his special rule is ok and quite fluffy, just you don't want to pay for special rules that work only when your hero is dying...
There are so many better options in Lothlorien & Mirkwood that I would only ever consider him in some Helm's Deep scenario play.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:44 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I disagree. I used this version of Haldir recently in a Helms Deep themed army. It contained Haldir and a group of Galadhrim, Theoden with some outriders on foot and some Royal Guard, and lastly Aragorn. A bow heavy force with some great heroes once you get into combat.

To me the way you have to look at this version of Haldir is you get his gear already and if you put him in this kind of force he essentially has bodyguard and 3 attacks to win the fight. The final blow ability is just a bonus and is fun when it works by the way. This version is better in close combat but is still a very versatile profile.

I will tell you that the combo with Haldir and Aragorn is good. The free might a turn really help this kind of shooty force and makes it still a force you don't really want to rush into close combat with.

Compared to Rumil and the other Haldir. Rumil is basically only good for holding off/ killing a hero or big model you can't otherwise deal with, not for shooting. The other Haldir is better at shooting and not as much at close combat. It's all about what you need from your captain and what force they are in. Like I said earlier, in the force I used he was awesome and cut through heroes, half-trolls and troops including killing a few models when he died throughout a couple games. It was a lot of fun and my opponents loved playing against the army and it actually did very well.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:58 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Wan Shi Tong wrote:
Also did/does the model come in metal or resin?

He's metal according to the GW site.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:45 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

MWL_Rambo wrote:
I disagree. I used this version of Haldir recently in a Helms Deep themed army.

that's the key. This version has be to used only in a very specific thematic army: helm's deep. Outside of that, it's just useless. The banner rule is useful, but is limited to one very expensive character who can't lead troops (Aragorn) and another one who is almost universally considered a waste of points (Theoden).
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:50 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I have long been contemplating his use, I find it hard to find a time where I would use him over his original profile, While I would rarely consider taking theoden ( which I'm sure even Rohan players struggle to do), Aragorn is also a hard fit due to his exorbitant cost, along with the the higher costing elves, in 600 pts almost half is already decided from just those two, with just a single warband available.

Though I do think I've found a way where he would shine, and that would be team play, where one player could fit in Theoden or Aragorn, and The other having the higher costing elf army, doesn't sound too terrible if each player is only shouldering a singe hero to the cause, and promotes a really cool unity factor in the lists.