All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:46 pm

Post subject: Re: Who is your nemesis or most violent enemy? Biggest supri
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:51 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Dorthonion wrote:
Donegal drivers...

Having lived in Donegal for the best part of 3 years I have to say it's the ones from the other side of the border you have to watch out for. The parking though :shock:

Back on topic, my tale of heroics comes from the last round of the Battle of Dublin a couple of weeks ago. I'm playing against Erebor with Thorin & Co. and Ori was just incredible. He killed 6 Erebor warriors, Balin and took a wound off Thorin. He out killed every other model on the board, including 2 Thorins and 2 Dwalins. I think he must have been firing grenades from that slingshot of his. Eventually he ran away after failing a courage test after I had been broken, but by then he had already so much damage that I'll forgive him for that.
 Post subject: Re: Whos your nemesis troop? Biggest surprise in a good/bad
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:53 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thats insane hahah. I never hold him of any value but damn....it can happen I guess. Lol nice post.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:02 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I had an even better moment with Ori "the dragon slayer"

I played with thorins company -Gandalf agianst an all monstr army including the lotr dragon. It was the second shooti g fase and Ori decided to shoot at the dragon and rolled a 6 to hit with its sling and the dragon rolled a double 1 on his courage test and flew away.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:27 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

And thats exactly why I would never take a dragon.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:16 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

LordoftheBrownRing wrote:
Thats insane hahah. I never hold him of any value but damn....it can happen I guess. Lol nice post.

He has 1/6 chance to wound a model. If you think of it, it's better than many archery.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:58 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

And he can shoot twice.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:34 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

You know for how over costed some people think they are I always have problems with Mirkwood Rangers...

I played a game a couple weekends ago and where I absolutely demolished my opponent to the point where I had lost I believe one troop by the time he was broken.....

I left a couple people behind to finish off one Mirkwood Ranger including one Mirkwood elf and sever Dwarves.

This stupid belligerent little Mirkwood arranger ended up killing 2 dwarves and one elf before the rest of my army kill him. I didn't even give him the extra attack bonus at the beginning I use one guy with spear support and he still managed to kill a couple....

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:41 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Isengard pike formations + trolls = Kill everything.
I play against a guy that always use the same army.
1 ballista of sorts (dosent really do mutch)
2 trolls.
warg riders.

Beaten my dwarfs and gondorians.
Hopefully my easterling pike formation + heavy cavalery wil get the job done :sad: Or pehaps a gray Company army im dreaming of :D
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:57 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

mr. dude wrote:
Her courage is pretty good, she's more likely to pass a test than fail it, and she has piles of will to help out. I've never seen Shelob run. She's come close a few times, but by the time you take enough wounds off of her (and force her to spend a bit of will), chances are she's in combat and ready to do her job. She has a high defence and a lot of wounds, I'm usually pretty happy when people shoot her because it means the rest of my army is safe. If archers are really bothering me, I'll hide her in some terrain or something, she can catch up. Plus, at game sizes where you can take enough archers to do any notable damage to her, chances are I have other threats around.

Her job is simple: For the first little while, lurk near the flanks and disrupt your opponent's lines (so, charge one model and hurl). Then, one your opponent exposes a hero, decide whether Shelob needs the support of a Captain or just a couple of warriors (or if she can solo it), which is a decision often based on said hero's FV and Might levels. Once you win the fight, four rending attacks that reroll failed wounds will rip most things apart.

It's all about stacking the odds in your favour, Shelob gives you a high fight value but lacks attacks, so you give her extra attacks by charging someone else in. Once you've won the fight, you've killed the hero. If the hero has might, bring your own hero in to counter heroic strike. You have to know how to pick your moments with her, trust that she can survive most attacks, but don't be reckless. Don't take on swarms of warriors, because she will never win. One at a time if you can help it. It's important to lurk her near your target hero, not so near that she gets charged, but near enough that you can get her in as soon as the chance opens up. Chances are, you need to have priority to pull this off (or heroic move), and usually you'll have to tie everything else up so Shelob/her support don't get counter-charged and pulled away from the important fight.

Basically, it's really easy to make her points back when her job is to hunt expensive heroes. She can't do it alone, but when you give her the right tools, I've even had her play a big role in taking down a Dragon.

How does she get above 2 attacks? I thought she only got one extra attack on the charge? I know you didn't say that here specifically, but I've seen it mentioned elsewhere.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:42 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Druzhag can up her base attack to 4.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:42 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Yup, Druzhag turns her into a Balrog-eating freak. Generally though it's just about gauging whether she needs backup or not. She has two attacks on the charge, double that to wound (I must note here that I made a mistake in my earlier post, I said "four rending attacks that reroll failed wounds", that's been FAQed. You either get rend or poison, not both), usually I like a captain with her to give her a couple of extra attacks, or else just a few warriors. You could have seen a reference to any of that I guess.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:17 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

The Khazad guard.
Whenever my friend uses them they die almost instantly, but the dwarf warriors hang in there just fine.
I also find Orc archery, horribly annoying. I learned my lesson in a massive battle, not to try shooting at models in combat. I killed more wargs than dwarves. Plus it is horribly inaccurate compared to the elegant elven archery I'm used to.
But I have to say my nemesis is the priority dice. Usually I'm quite lucky with my dice, but I guess the little leprechauns of luck have their coffee break during the priority phase. Even if I do win somehow, either through blood, grit or the palantir, it is all for nothing because of those darned heroic moves. :-X

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:43 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I feel your pain. I've had a game or two in the last month where I lost 6-8 priorities in a row including calling heroics on the roll off. Needless to say, I lost those games....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:13 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I'm the opposite, I always win priority when I really really don't want it.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:15 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

My nemesis troop in the last tourney was a combo of Galadriel and Wood elf bowmen. They are a pain to shift with a mordor force. Also my own dice rolls when my Drake/Great Beast need to kill and they always manage a low roll! Also great beasts that have the ability to barrel through troops always seem to hit the first guy and stop. Only once have I managed a decent toll on D6 troops.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:14 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I think the most memorable thing I've ever seen happening is Merry (vanilla) killing a Mounted Ringwraith (also vanilla) by throwing a little rock (S1).
It was the first scenario of the Lord of the Rings campaign, following the scenarios described in the DeAgostini magazine. The 4 Hobbits are fleeing from a Mounted Ringwraith. When the Hobbits are discovered Merry decides to try and kill the Horse by throwing a stone, it's a very small chance (about 5%) but it would make the Ringwraith less mobile. Instead he hits the Rider and then goes on to roll a 6 three times in a row. Killing a Mounted Ringwraith with a S1 stone is almost a 1 in a 650 chance, but he pulled it off. :rofl:
This immediately resulted in the Good player winning the scenario, as the Ringwraith was the only Evil model. Probably the best stone he throwed in his life, ever. :p

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:12 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

That's amazing. If only my stones worked like that. I have wounded cave trolls and funny things before too haha.