All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:31 am

Post subject: The Battle of the Five Armies fan-made Supplement- Update P2
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:25 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Greetings all!

After lurking on this forum for a while, I've joined up to bring you this, a fan-made supplement for The Battle of the Five Armies. Inside, you will find 2 completely new army lists, for The Iron Hills and The Army of Azog and Bolg, and a hugely expanded list for the Peopels of Laketown. There are aslo 5 Scenarios included: The Battle Dol Guldur, The Battle of the Five Armies, The Battle of Dale, Thorin's charge and an epic 5-part Ravenhill scenario. (please note that no official GW profiles or rules have been reproduced)

Looks like the file is too big to host on here, so while I look for another way of making it available you can download it here:
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/90/629677.page#7496451
(No forum account is needed to download)

Anyone interested in following the design process for these rules can take a look at this thread on the DakkaDakka forum:
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/629677.page

If anyone has any feedback, feel free to post in this thread here, or PM me with comments, ideas and suggestions. I hope you enjoy the content we have put together, and I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by Paradigm on Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: The Battle of the Five Armies, a fan-made Supplement
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:16 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Very nice! I just need GW to release the models now :?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:36 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Very well done 8)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:25 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thanks, hope you have fun with it!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:15 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

One of Dain's special rules is misquoted ;)

It should be 'Let's give these B*****rds a hammering' not smashing. But looks good.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:23 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Can confirm awesome supplement!! However the point costing on the ram riders is definitely under costed by a massive amount!

My W.I.P - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=28062
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:30 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thanks guys!

SouthernDunedain: Noted, I'll fix that. Only seen the film once, so the dialogue is still a bit hazy!

rigg: I'll take another look at the Ramriders then. My thinking was Warg Rider base, +2 for +2D, +1 each for +1C and +1F, -1 for -1Move. But I'll definitely reconsider and run some playtests. Out of interest, what do you think would be fair for those stats?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:43 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Paradigm wrote:
Thanks guys!
rigg: I'll take another look at the Ramriders then. My thinking was Warg Rider base, +2 for +2D, +1 each for +1C and +1F, -1 for -1Move. But I'll definitely reconsider and run some playtests. Out of interest, what do you think would be fair for those stats?

I love how you have done Lake-town especially giving Percy a profile.

If they were 15 points I would run these with lance and shield all day long! They have an extremely strong and balanced stat line, S4 and can take a lance is a rare thing, so is D7 mounted. And they have +2C not +1 when compared to orcs, and the Rams have the special difficult terrain rule as well which is a point in itself as well.
I think its easy to compare them to Knights of Dol Amroth (both are hard hitting cavalry). Once you give them a lance and shield they are the same cost as a Knight of Dol Amroth on armoured horse but I can tell you for certain I would take the dwarf with +1D, +1S and a difficult terrain special rule any day of the week with the only negative being 1 inch less movement and no armour (or 2 inch less movement with armour).

My W.I.P - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=28062
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:57 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hi pal, Iv downloaded the file and it looks great, ill try to get some playtests in when I can and let you know how it goes.
Well done
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:18 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

rigg1313 wrote:
If they were 15 points I would run these with lance and shield all day long! They have an extremely strong and balanced stat line, S4 and can take a lance is a rare thing, so is D7 mounted. And they have +2C not +1 when compared to orcs, and the Rams have the special difficult terrain rule as well which is a point in itself as well.
I think its easy to compare them to Knights of Dol Amroth (both are hard hitting cavalry). Once you give them a lance and shield they are the same cost as a Knight of Dol Amroth on armoured horse but I can tell you for certain I would take the dwarf with +1D, +1S and a difficult terrain special rule any day of the week with the only negative being 1 inch less movement and no armour (or 2 inch less movement with armour).

Yeah, comparing them to KoDA probably fits better. So if Swan Knights are 19 with Lance and Shield, the Ramriders should be maybe 21 (factoring in +3 for the S/D and special rules and -1 for the Movement) with that setup, so 19 base?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:23 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Siege Trolls having 4 fight value and Mountain trolls having 3 seems a bit low considering their points costs.
Siege trolls cost the same as a Mordor Troll, but have 3 less fight value as the only stat difference, meaning they should be 15 points cheaper by GW points standards (10 for D, 5 for F/S/C* on monsters. Extra attack is worth 15, and an extra wound is worth ~15-20; Compare stats between Mordor Troll, Isengard Troll, and Cave Troll for verification; for wound/attack value, look at heroes).
IMO, they should be a minimum fight 6 so they can beat standard infantry (including elves) on a 6 because of their size. No matter how skilled the warrior, if they are fighting something 5+ times their size and strength with a reasonable ability to hit things close to them, it's going to be an incredibly difficult fight (Great Beasts/Mumaks don't have arms, and they require feet on the ground for balance; hence the low fight).

Going by the GW stat values, the mountain troll should be only 115-120 pts with that stat line (though it would be less effective than a cave troll in combat, so ~90 pts would be fine).
Seeing as it should probably have higher fight (6-7) so it can beat standard troops on a 6 because of it's size, it should be 130-140 pts.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:27 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Cheers for pointing that out, I'll add it to the list. I think it may have been a result of copy-pasting the stat block template from Orcs and missing that stat! The Siege Troll was basically meant to be a Mordor Troll with different options, so I'll definitely change those stats. And the Mountain Troll will get a drop in points and a F boost as well, now you mention it!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:39 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Love this supplement! I especially like how you differentiated between the Moria and Gundabad Orcs. I noticed that in the movie the two armies looked slightly different. A couple questions though:

How do we differentiate between the types of "Gundabad Orcs"? Or are the profiles that you made supposed to take the place of the old ones in the DOS supplement?

Also, are the Orc Beserkers the orcs that ran ahead of Bolg's army with him?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:56 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thanks.

I actually don't own he DoS Supplement myself, so the Army of Azog and Bolg list was built with my Gundabad Orc profile in mind. However, you could always swap/add in the DoS Gundabad profile and options if you wanted to. In this version, I have Moria Orcs as the more defensive, heavily armoured and 'tactical' orcs while the Gundabad ones are all about raw aggression and killing power, but if the DoS profile offers something else then of course you can just add that in. I can't put it in the document for copyright reasons, but at the end of the day these are all house rules anyway, so you edit, alter and substitute them any way you and your opponent like!

And yes, the Bezerker profile was meant to represent Bolg's 'first wave', lightly armoured but very choppy!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:15 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Nice suplement I really like it! I myself also made a scenario for tje battle of the five armies but that is a full version with 4500 points on both sides lol. This one is beter because it splits al these battles up and in the end it combines back to still one scenario. The extra Lake-Town profiles are loveley indeed!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:21 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

4500 points a side! Wow! If you want, you can PM me the Scenario details and I'll add it in with the edited version of this Supplement (with credit to you, of course).Could be fun to have a mega-battle scenario in there!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:38 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Just like to say how much fun helping out with this was, and also how much time Paradigm put into it (I'm Captain Galenus from DakkaDakka btw), and every time i checked back on the thread another draft would be up with more cool stuff!

9000 point battle would be awesome, and truer to the film! The amount of models and table needed for something like that makes me balk with the current GW prices!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:58 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Pm'ed :D

Yep the GW prices are an issue, but my reasoning with the Hobbit so far has not been about the price but how much I like the models and then have the feeling f*ck it I buy it this army looks cool or this character looks cool.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:20 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

That's fair enough, i often impulse buy from GW, but getting a whole army would put me in overdraft so i can't really get too much at the moment... Having said that i want to start a new hunter orc army because they look so damn cool!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:29 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Many of the things I wanted to say about this have already been said, but I will start off by saying thank you for all the hard work you've put into this. Very much appreciated, so don't take any of the criticism as a criticism of you.

That said, since you are complaining about the lack of GW content for BotFA, I would've expected you to at least have the decency to look at the DoS sourcebook.

As an extension of a point made by someone else, since Gundabad Orcs already have a profile (and given the size of the official models it has to be said) are closer to the profile you've strangely called Moria Orcs. I assume you are meaning the Moria Uruks but still, I'd scrap both profiles if I were you.

Also Lake Town Guards and Militia already have profiles as well. The former in the DoS sourcebook and the latter in the BotFA supplement. So scrap those as well

The pts values of many of these are too high or too low as has already been said, especially the Mountain Trolls, who I think shouldn't be allowed to be taken without slingahots (It's not a catapult) as this makes the profile too boring really, I don't think people should be able to take a strength/defence 8 Troll that can just be used normally, it should be forced to take a slingshot.

The fight values of the Trolls has already been mentioned, no Troll should be below Fight 6.

I hate the phrase "Wrecker Limbs" it's so Warhammery. Speaking of which, the style of this feels less like a proper Middle-Earth sourcebook and more, I don't know something else.

I love the inclusion of the random Beasts of War for evil, though I think they should be more powerful.

What about the Bofur Troll with the mace arms?

I think the Bats should be stronger too.

The Seige Troll would, I think be better called an Attack Troll or a War Troll as Seige Troll is essentially a Mordor one using a Catapult/pushing a Seige Tower etc

I like Fear Everything rule on the Lake Town refugees, very thematic, brilliant in fact.

I wouldn't bother with the Warg Outrider, mounted Hunter Orcs and Gundabad Orcs should suffice.

The Orc Beserkers (also called Half Trolls and Bolg's Guard) should have 2 wounds so as to differ them from Hunter Orcs. They should cause Terror too.

In the Nazgul scenario you should allow people to field the named Wraiths if they want as those unique profiles suit the unique style of the Nazgul as depicted in the film.

Now we come to the biggy in my opinion. The one thing I cannot forgive you for on principle. Do you know what an Olog-hai actually is? Calling those Ogres Olog-hai, like you have done, is like calling the Goblins of Goblin Town Uruk-hai. Olog-hai are the huge, armoured, bigger, stronger and more intelligent Trolls. The Mordor Trolls and Mordor Troll Cheiftains are Olog-hai. To call an Ogre an Olog-hai is just plain insulting. I don't mind you calling it a Troll, but to call it an Olog-hai is just wrong. I cannot stress this enough.

Also these Ogres (NOT Olog-hai) should be Monsters too, anything over ten feet tall should, I'm pretty sure they can easily throw people, in fact they are slightly bigger than the Great Goblin.

Just in case you didn't catch it, that is not Olog-hai, and I thought I'd repeat my sentiment at the beginning (now you probably know why I made sure I spelled it out). I'm not insulting you, I admire all the hard work you've put into making this supplement. It's a damnsight more effort that you've put into it than GW have. So keep up the good work.