All times are UTC

It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 1:14 pm

Post subject: Named Dwarf Ranger Captain
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:28 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

So, several years ago I started running battle companies against myself (no local players, time, etc) and writing reviews. I modified the original dwarf set up by removing the archers in favor of Rangers. At the time I think I gave both rangers both bows and throwing weapons, but eh, whatever. I played out four or five games, ran the company and upgraded, slaughtering everything in it's path. And then moved on.

http://www.thelastalliance.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2551&hilit=Roark%27s+Raiders

So, fast-foward to last month when I saw the Heroforge "custom" 3D printed miniature page/service. I played around with and decided to order a "dwarf ranger" I'd made.

While I might start up another battle company saga, I also wanted to make SBG stats for him. I don't own the Hobbit rule book and probably won't until I can snag one for cheaper. Having no opponents and playing myself or maybe my wife if I can con her into sitting there for awhile doesn't make the new rules a good investment.

So, here is what I have so far:

Move F S D A W C M W F
5”/12cm 5/3+ 4 6 2 2 5 3 1 1

Wargear:
Dwarf Armor, Dwarf Longbow, Throwing Axes, and Caradhras (hand and a half war hammer)

Mountain Dwellers, special force modifying rule, special weapon rule for Caradhras.

So my question for this profile is two (well, three) fold. I wanted a special force modifying rule for Rangers. This guy is supposed to be a captain (or the captain) of the Erebor rangers. I had thought of either a "he counts as a banner" rule or a speed increase similar to Mauhur for +1 point a Ranger.

The second rule, for the war hammer. Historically smaller war hammers were used as much to bruise and incapacitate a foe as much as out right kill. I wanted something more than just +1 to wound with no -1, though thats pretty much a dwarf hero standard it seems. or use that, and add a "if the captain hits a warrior sized model with Caradhras but does not wound, roll a dice. On a 6, that model is stunned and can only move in the next turn." I dunno, I just wanted something a little different. If there are rules in the Hobbit (bash, piercing strike, stun etc) I'm ignorant of how they work.

And finally, points cost. I know three special rules his pretty hefty. The raw stats are in line with the dwarf captain, Madril, and Arathorn, though again special rules would unbalance that (if the speed rule was used, he'd raise up to speed 7"/16 with the rest.

Suggestions? Thoughts? Obviously "it's my game I can do as I want" works too, but I was trying to balance it out objectively and not just Aragon/Gil-Galad/Boromir in a dwarf body.
 Post subject: Re: Named Dwarf Ranger Captain
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:40 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

That rule for his ax is way too powerful for a standard captain level model to possess. I would just have it be a normal 2-handed weapon that still allows him to use his bow.

Post subject: Re: Named Dwarf Ranger Captain
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:43 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

It needs some tweaking. Look at Murin and Drar for ideas.

And welcome fellow Dallas native! There's been no one for the longest time and now you all are coming out of the woodwork lol

MiniWargaming