All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:38 pm

Post subject: Thoughts on the typical tournament senarios
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:24 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I found those thoughts I made quite interesting so I d like to share em with you and learn more about which one can be the best force for each senario.

Many will disagree with many of the following but this is the reason I post this, to discuss and understand better how the victories are being achieved!

I will try to analyze each senario's situation:

1. To the death

Not many special characteristics on this one. It's almost a clear fight. Both forces charges and then pew pew. Every common tactic can be used here as the only parameter is the terrain. Banners give victory points here.

2. Domination

Markers are the key here. You must carefully where to put em considering your kind of force. If you have more models than your opponent then you send troops to every marker? if you have less you move your force from one to another trying to clear each one? If those are the possible tactics (of course and most of the times its something between of them as most of the armies are hybridic) then you must choose to put the marks the closest possible so that your low number+strong troops can charge from one to another. If you use bows or fast troops then the most far is the solution. If you have the numbers then the most far can also be the choice as you maybe can keep good numbers in every mark. Even one model can give you 1 VP and -2 to the opponent.

3. Hold Ground

The special characteristic here is that you get 1 victory point per model. So i believe numbers help in this senario. Bring your mass in the center of the field. Outnumbering the opponent, you can flank him easily cause he is forced to be in the center in the end of the game. Of course a smart one will get inside only when he has already lowered your number with his ways (archery, cavalry charges and pull backs, maneuvers while you stay still in the middle). Reinforcements is the special rule here so if you have numbers and many warbands its most possible that a more solid warband values more. So the situation is somewhat balanced.

4. Lords of battle

You get 1 VP per kill. So killing many enemies is the one that counts! Imagine a low numbered elite dwarf army vs a numerous goblin host. If the forces just clash ( no experienced moves from both sides), statistically the dwarves will make more kills than the goblins despite who will win in the end.

5. Reconnoitre

Reinforcements and 1 VP per model crossing to the other side. If a numerous army crosses the field without any loses can get more VP. But reinforcements rule again makes it fair for the low numbered/elite unit force too. You may have an elite force in the centre, where enemy's models must pass through and let em the killing while the rest of your army crosses the battlefield without difficulties. Situation again is balanced here, win depends on the tactic you will use.

6. High Ground

The radius of the center mark is 12", 6" more than the Hold Ground senario! Also, you get 1 VP per model in the circle. Archery is a bit nerfed here. So i suppose that numbers help a lot here. you can put em in the center and push. The one that reaches first to the hill has a big advantage as it is better to fight as you be in higher ground than your opponent ( I don't remember how this is transferred to a rule but I remember it exists). It reminds me of the thought of Attila the Hun and the Roman general about the hill in the cinema movie.

Post subject: Re: Thoughts on the typical tournament senarios
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:38 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I don't like domination - there isn't enough reward for overwhelming your opponent. I had broken my enemy and he had failed to kill a single model. We were running short on time otherwise I would have been able to destroy him without loss, but I still easily outnumbered him on objects, but got very little to show for it.

Maybe I need objective markers like catapults or something to remind me, but the strategy for this scenario is to just die on the objectives, it doesn't reward living as much as it should. It should be the same as high ground in terms of getting VP's.

Post subject: Re: Thoughts on the typical tournament senarios
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:07 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hodush wrote:
I don't like domination - there isn't enough reward for overwhelming your opponent. I had broken my enemy and he had failed to kill a single model. We were running short on time otherwise I would have been able to destroy him without loss, but I still easily outnumbered him on objects, but got very little to show for it.

Maybe I need objective markers like catapults or something to remind me, but the strategy for this scenario is to just die on the objectives, it doesn't reward living as much as it should. It should be the same as high ground in terms of getting VP's.

Indeed...
In soem senarios there is th possibility to get maaany VP. Like in 3, 4 , 5 and 6 in comparison with the first two. But what you get is the same for your opponent cause both players played the same senarios of course.