All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:58 am

Post subject: Thoughts on the Hobbit game....
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:24 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Some of you may remember me from eons ago, I used to be very active on this site and TLA (before the original one closed down). I have never left the hobby. In fact I have always been actively playing this game, I just got too busy with work and other things to post here too often.

Has anyone played much of The Hobbit? Has anyone really played a game of LOTR using the Hobbit rules? After playing it for a month -easily over a dozen games - I have to say they are, quite honestly, very poorly done. I hate to rip on a game I have always loved - the only reason I play tabletop in many different forms - or to post a negative thread on any public forum, but this incarnation leaves itself absolutely undesirable as a game goes. Don't believe me? I apparently am not the only one disappointed though since I see so many threads in this section discussing how to change the core rules. Which, I never ever used to remember seeing this much vitriol on One Ring. In fact, it has always been sort of like The Shire of gaming sites to me, just a happy place, with good friends and warm conversations. But I have to join in since apparently the scouring of my shire is happening on here.

So, to start off, I have to say that the new bow rules made an already difficult shooting mechanic even worse. Throwing weapons almost never ever actually deliver a wound now. Orc archers are beyond a joke.

All the new weapon mechanics slow down the game to a grinding hault. It's obscene to wait and choose whether to use a weapon's ability, then after the Duel roll, wait until the other player rolls a dice, modifies a stat, then calculates a wound roll, then rolls a die. Luckily, we have the chart memorized, but still, it makes the game play so slowly. It's just too much. I honestly would prefer units comparing initiative, then hit, wound and save at this point over this cumbersome mechanic. To add insult to injury to this lack luster design, some weapon abilities are by far more useful than than other choices. And, since LOTR are not multipart kits, the weapons you get are the weapons you get. I can't give all my Warriors of Minas Tirith axes (though I'd like too). So I am stuck with what the model has as its gear. Which, if I had my way, everyone in Middle Earth would be running around with Axes because it is leagues better than the other weapon options.

Then we started playing with Monsters. After playing the game with the Hurl rules, we started calling it no longer LOTR, but Monster Bowl. Hurl is so powerful in fact there is absolutely no reason not to use it as the one and only monster attack every time, barring there is no one around to hurl the model at.

In every game we have played the Monster has hands down been the deciding factor. Hereos seem so feeble and useless compared to this awesome attack. In one game an Eagle hurled one Orc and killed 13 Orcs in one go. 13! This is on top of knocking down all the other models it failed to kill as well. Hurl, if done well roughly 4 -5 models, not to mention all the other secondary knock downs it causes from all the models it failed to kill. To add insult to injury, there is nothing in the rules that clarifies a massive issue with the Hurl rule, a glaringly important part of it that I can't believe there is no explanation at all about it! By the way its written: I can hurl a model at Aragon, just Aragorn and no one else in the fight if I can draw the line right. I can actually pick him off and not hit any of the other model's engaged. So now he's trapped, plus he suffers a strength 3 hit before the dice are even rolled in his own fight. Of course, after hitting Aragorn I will also usually be able to hit several other good models with the Hurl as well harming a handful of other warriors. Well this becomes tactic number one. If some hero that is particularly nasty is on the table, just keep your monsters far enough away from him and just keep endlessly chucking guys into his fight. Do this enough and you will eventually kill him, or keep him knocked down the entire game so he never does anything. Or, if you don't want to fight the fight and don't want to suffer a heroes higher strength combat, then just chuck a warrior into the fight. You get to wound their models at least though there is a chance you can kill your own, what's the cost of a few orcs compared to several good models and wounding some awesome hero. Now, when it comes to heroes - especially the really powerful ones, it is far easier to kill them by just picking him up and chucking him as far as Monster can than actually bother scoring wounds on him. Especially since, by Hurling him, you deal an obscene amount of damage to the rest of his force as well. It's like two for the price of one. After all, I can, by the way the rule is written, line up a row of orcs in base to base contact behind my mordor troll who now simply picks up Theoden on horseback and tosses him between his legs for 1d6+strength difference in inches, scoring 1 hit per model at the same strength as a standard Warrior of Rohan for every model he hits and ending with a strength hit equal to a Cave Troll, then force him to make a Thrown Rider check. Yes I can. Because no where does it say I can't do this. Grant it I have never done this - and never would - but it is highly possible to do it by the way the rule is written. Don't worry good players, your eagle can do this with Azog and Bulg to at the cost of a few good models. But really, isn't better than actually fighting Bulg? Because nowhere does it say Good can't do this either.

Hurl is so good, it is honestly stupid not to field as many Monsters as you can and just bowl as many infantry as you can in one go every time.

Sorry that was so long, but the rule is just terrible. Which is a shame, because I like the idea and Warmachine did it so well.

As for the rest, I can be far more brief: Heroic Strike was just not necessary in my opinion. It does, as many people have pointed out, just force heroes to save all might so they don't get absolutely stomped by this new rule (and it is there only hope to not being chucked by a Monster in the Monster Bowl sub phase). Not to mention that giving the points cost of models such as Gil-Galad, Evil can easily have more might on the table to use this power far more often and well...I think you see where the rest goes from there.

Then we get to the stats. The Elven Cavalry are obscenely priced for what they can do on a table (except the obvious, Good cavalry kites with Bows game). The Grim Hammerers are over-pointed for what they get. The 3 Trolls, in an actual points match game or even homebrew scenario, would be far too good if they weren't fighting a company of dwarves specifically designed to kill them. Then we get to the largest problem of the stats: the Many Blades rule. It is absolutely ridiculous an Orc with 2 attacks, one higher fight and strength is the same cost of a Warrior of Minas Tirith! Grant it, he is only defense 4, but in our play experience they easily slaughter, hand over fist, good forces of any kinds. Especially those poor, poor elves, you know the strongest most powerful race in middle earth. Then, to make the rule even worse they strangely lose this rule when mounted. A mount which costs the same as 2 Orc Hunters on Foot?! Really? Well the math becomes clear, why would you ever put them on a Warg...ever.

To make matters worse, all the problems of the old LOTR game continue to persist: Elves are still terrible. Cavalry are way to expensive for what you get out of them in a game and so they are relegated to collect dust or to be a kiting shooting army which is tiresome during play. Dwarves continue to be far too cheap for what they can do and the new axe rule gives them one hell of a boost. After all, a Dwarf can suffer a -3 defense because they start out, in general, defense 7. Dropping from a 6 to wound to a 5 to wound is only a .167% decrease where as most other axe wielders drop .33% when they suffer the -3. Yep, that seems about balanced, ;).

In the end, I have to say, it seems almost like GW didn't play test these rules at all or they simply couldn't be bothered enough to go back and fix these glaringly bad rules choices. There is no other reason for this mess of a system.

What I recommend to players is to not even bother picking up The Hobbit rulebook if you own the old edition. Just use the old edition rules, for better or worse. If you are going to cross into the Hobbit, though it pains me to say it, cut Hurl from the monster's actions or go buy some ents, eagles, trolls. You will certainly need them in the arms race. If you want the new models, just find suitable proxies: Orc Hunters could have the same profile as an Uruk Hai Tracker, Grim Hammerers khazad guard. It is close enough.

I hate being this negative, but as a person working in the gaming industry, I can think of no other explanation for it. It just doesn't make sense.

LOTR was a fantastic game even though it had its problems. However, this edition not only make those problems worse, I imagine it will turn many gamers (especially new gamers) off to it. I just don't get it. I spent two years completely reworking and adapting 40K over to the LOTR engine and ended up making such a fun and enjoyable game many seriously die-hard 40k players (people who hated LOTR) now prefer it over 40K. So I just don't get why GW dropped the ball.

I am sorry for this post being negative. I just hate seeing something I love getting the Devlan Mud kicked out of it while it's already down. I just can't.

With all my complaints though, the only good part of this new game are the Dwarves and Goblin King. They really do have fun and interesting rules. I really liked what GW did with them.

Anyway, happy gaming,

Commoner
 Post subject: Re: Thoughts on the Hobbit game....
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:57 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

That was way too long, I didn't read.

My thoughts on the new rules: I love it, with one exception. Archery. But my group gets around that by very simply using the old rules when it comes to archery.

I do feel that the weapon rules can be streamlined very easily, replace d3 with 1. Makes everything very simple and surprisingly good.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:36 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hurl is terribly unbalanced...obscenely unbalanced. Most of what I wrote is about Hurl. If you really think it's balanced, you should really read the middle of my post.

But if you are enjoying this edition, more power to you. I just disagree about that.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:10 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Have you ever fought elves? They don't need any help winning. (I skimmed a bit and read that you thought they were terrible)

As for hurl, on it's own, it's slightly unbalanced in favor of the monster, but monsters rarely used to be worth taking, the new monster attacks just make them worth taking.

As for the Hunter Orcs, they have the exact same F as a Warrior of Minas Tirith, 1 more strength and one more attack with 1 less courage and 2 less defence. Or you compare them to regular orcs: for the same price as a Morranon with a shield, they have 1 extra attack for 2 less defence and they don't have a shield. Seems a fair trade to me. I always thought that any orcs that survived the downfall of both Mordor and Angmar would be pretty good fighters, so I think the stats fit. The Morranons always seemed a bit too good, but I guess they could be thought of as the few hunter orcs who survived everything, and thus were given heavy armor as a reward or something.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:17 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I fight and play elves about every other time and have no problem overwhelming and destroying them. They lose the majority of games. The fight of the elf does not make up for the lack of attacks. Orcs simply swarm and overwhelm. Elven heroes are so costly they can easily be doubled or even trippled by might by an evil force.

Hurl is far more than slightly unbalanced. It is obscenely overpowered. You just must not use it very often.

Hunter Orcs were a mistype about the fight value. Thanks for pointing it out. I will fix it. Two dice is far greater than a fight of 3, 4, or even 10 based on the current system. A Defense of 4 is only 1.67% weaker to be wounded than the defense of 6 of warriors of minas tirith. Not to mention two attacks at a strength 3 gives roughly a 55% chance to kill one 5+ to wound opponent and a 30% chance against a defense 6 opponent. So go back to the Warrior of Minas Tirith. The Orc wounds the warrior of Minas tirith on a 55% chance and the Warrior of Minas Tirith wounds on a 33% chance. The Orc also has an option to kill two warriors of minas tirith in a fight where the Warrior has the chance to only kill 1 orc at the same chance of death. Then, the orc also has a greater chance of winning the fight. It's courage is lower yes, but that won't matter because they will not break first since they will win more fights and cause more wounds. You call that balanced? Balanced I thought meant when two things of equal game value cost the same amount of points. Something that is superior in at least 3 different areas of gameplay - as I highlighted above - is not balanced. It's broken. Subtract 1 area for them running sooner and you get 2. Roughly 2 additional points would make them far closer to balanced.

After all an Uruk Hai Berserker, which only has 2 greater defense and a higher courage is what, 15 points? Morgul Stalkers which are 2 attacks are 10-12 points. Iron Warriors of the Dwarves are 15 points, but the Orc Hunter is 8? There is something wrong here in math-town.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:54 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

actually morgul stalkers cost just as much as berserkers XD
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:38 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Ok, i've read both your posts and i actually disagree massively, i've played about 5 or so games with the hobbit rules, and i actually think they are quite balanced. Fair enough monsters are good now, but that's ok, while evil has wider access to monsters, good is now the only side (besides harad and easterlings) that has worthwhile archery. Also now that monsters are more useful, siege engines are also worth taking, and no longer useless.

An all monster army is still unlikely to win a game, the majority of the scenarios are about having more models at location x when one army is broken. An all monster army will probably have to split up to break an army, meaning just a single warband could essentially win the game if it just sits on the objective. In addition to this the increased potential for magic, the new elven blade rules, and the weapon rules, mean that nullifying monsters is really not that hard. Fair enough if you want to win a game you will probably want to take a monster, but i am still fairly certain that a well played Dwalin could do just as much damage as Gwahir, who costs roughly the same pts.

Also you gotta remember that the good side is gonna get Beorn and the Beronlings, all/some of whom should be monsters.

P.S: Your opponent who is playing elves must have a problem with army composition, unlucky scenario rolling, or you guys aren't playing with enough terrain.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:12 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I agree with SuicidalMarsbar.

Hurl does nothing that Sorcerous Blast or Nature's Wrath didn't already do, and it requires the monster to get stuck in, where it risks getting killed by heroes doing Heroic Strikes.
What it does is increase the amount of models in the game that can mess a tightly packed formation up, and personally, I love that. I see SBG as a skirmish game and 2 shield walls marching at eachother towards a mid-table dice-off is tedious. Now you can't make your shield wall until the monster has been dealt with and that blows tactics wide open and makes the game much more interesting.

http://s10.zetaboards.com/The_Titans/index/
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:46 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Berserker = Hunter Orc + 1 fight + 2 defence + 5 courage + 2handed weapon. That's 8+1+2+5+1=17. Your arguement is invalid because by pretty much any standard, Hunter Orcs are slightly overpriced. Is there stat creep? Yes, but no where near as bad as it could have been, because this time it's actually accompanied by a comparable point increase. If you alway manage to swamp an elven army and beat them, that just means your opponent sucks. I play against elves on a semi regular basis and they haven't ever gotten steam rolled. The key to the elves winning is proper use of heros, archery, magic and terrain. Use Glorfindel and Gil-Galad to tear apart anything this side of a Troll chieftain (and even then they don't have that much to worry about), use your archers to thin the enemy ranks (make sure you deploy as far back as possible), use Elrond to knock over 50% of your opponents army and either swarm the ones on the ground or the ones still standing (this will work even better once Lindir comes out) and make sure that you deploy in a wooded area. If you deploy 6in away from your enemy, on an open plain, without your heros in good positions, then you are going to lose.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:21 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I haven't played with the new rules yet so I will refrain from judging them. One comment I will make though is that the weapon rules do indeed seem unbalanced. They practically gave every lower F sword-wielding model in a fight, the poisoned blades rule. I am definitely eager to try the new monster rules as previously regular monsters were just nice display pieces.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:32 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I have to agree with commoner about special strikes, they are poorly thought out. Maybe Draugluin's fix would work, but just thinking about it bogs the game down IMHO. I haven't played enough with monsters yet to get a sense of Hurl...in the first game we played, the troll never won a fight, so it doesn't seem overpowered to me...yet :)

But as for elves...

SuicidalMarsbar wrote:
Your opponent who is playing elves must have a problem with army composition, unlucky scenario rolling, or you guys aren't playing with enough terrain.

From commoner's game description it just sounds like an empty board. Could be wrong, but that was my impression. The rules suggest 33-50% of the board be covered in terrain...50%! That's a lot, and elves will dance through a lot of that quite easily. The game becomes much more about strategic placement than a profile-vs-profile dice roll-off, which is kind of what your descriptions sound like, commoner.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:01 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I've played with the just 1 modifier to strength, defence and fight and the only thing that I find is that the defence decrease isn't enough to make you think twice about using your axes. While it was definitely easier just to use 1, the next game I play I'm thinking about using a +1 strength, -2 defence scheme. That way you REALLY have to worry about using your axe that way. The -1 to fight to reroll ones makes it so elves don't suddenly fail at winning and it makes the new Elf Blade rule actually useful, because now you're more likely to tie fight value, but you know whether or not your fight would equal theirs rather than risking have worse fight than a goblin.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:34 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Draugluin wrote:
While it was definitely easier just to use 1, the next game I play I'm thinking about using a +1 strength, -2 defence scheme.

This is why they put in the die roll, to handle all contexts: -1 means nothing if you have D7 against S3, and -2 is no different than -1 if you have D7 against S4. If you took the middle ground for axes, you could just say you get +1 to wound (rather than strength) if you win the duel, but your opponents get +1 to wound you if you lose.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:04 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Actually, that works pretty well.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:43 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I have to say part of the OP issue does seem to be related to use of a couple strong options against what sounds to be an inexperienced opponent.

In order to Hurl the monster needs to win the Fight. Played well that shouldn't be nearly as often as it sounds.

The note of how easy Elf armies are being beaten is another key indicator as mentioned above. But just as telling is the mention of Aragorn in the game. Unless you're playing pretty high points simply having him in the army can be a liability on your numbers. And if you are playing that high of points with your current experience levels maybe you should come down to 250-300 point games for a while and really work on the tactics and tuning the armies. You have to work harder to make a 250 point force than a 750. Those decisions and play testing them really will make you stronger in the long run at larger points.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:50 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Draugluin wrote:
My thoughts on the new rules: I love it, with one exception. Archery. But my group gets around that by very simply using the old rules when it comes to archery.

I am having tons fun with the hobbit, but I do agree with this. This is really seems like a Warhammer rule. It makes sense in Warhammer, because most models hit on a +4 or +3, and you have very specific unit roles.

It doesn't seem to work very well in a faster paced skirmish game
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:00 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

AcasualDream wrote:
Draugluin wrote:

I am having tons fun with the hobbit, but I do agree with this. This is really seems like a Warhammer rule. It makes sense in Warhammer, because most models hit on a +4 or +3, and you have very specific unit roles.

And if they wanted to improve standing still or mumak type archery they should have given a bonus if you stand still (+1 to hit or something to represent aiming carefully) rather than a second penalty to archers that move (half movement AND reduction in shoot value).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:07 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

simmuskhan wrote:
AcasualDream wrote:
Draugluin wrote:

And if they wanted to improve standing still or mumak type archery they should have given a bonus if you stand still (+1 to hit or something to represent aiming carefully) rather than a second penalty to archers that move (half movement AND reduction in shoot value).

Wow that is a much better idea. I think I will try that rule out in my next match. I have been playing without the modifier, but that would actually give you a real reason to not re-position.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:20 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I can tell i am about to get lynched or something for saying this, but i really like the new archery rules. Evil armies were pretty overpowered in the old system, but now it is a much fairer playing field, the good side are the only one with soldiers that can shoot half decently on the move now. I also hated how almost every game turned into a case of 'move 2 inches to get out of charge/spell/bow range, shoot, and repeat' , that is totally gone now, your archers have to stand their damn ground and keep shooting till the sun goes down.

r.e the monster thing: I played a game that finished literally 30 minutes ago against harad+mordor. I was using rangers, elves, and dwarves. Arathorn and about 10 rangers/ elf archers took out a Mordor troll chief without it causing a single casualty. One wound was caused from shooting (OMG NO WAY SHOOTING SUX NOW THO!!!) the other two were from a well timed heroic strike (SO UNFITTING!!!) winning me the fight.

On the contrary, the game was a draw anyway, we were playing rconnoitre and my opponent had cavalry, i did not, although the main reason i lost was because i devoted a bit too much to killing that troll and my opponent had some great courage rolls.

Looking back, the game itself was a great example of the new rules are really well done. There were monsters, cavalry, spellcasters, two archery heavy armies, big heroes, little heroes, elites, banners, and nice splashings of common soldiers. Almost every type of model with any wargear was represented and the game was a total draw. Every heroic action was used (not heroic accuracy, but only because i didn't have a hero around at the right time, there was a point when i really wanted to use it!!), as was almost every special rule but the game was a total stalemate, the new rules are the best we've had yet in my opinions!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:34 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I have never played a game where, being evil, I caused more than a handful of kills with bows. I know that models with Crossbows can rack up kills rather fast, but the -1 modifier doesn't affect them at all. Elves and rangers are about the only armies that are viable shooting wise, every other army needs a 5+ to hit if they move at all, with most evil models needing a 6. Which is really not worth the point cost of the bow.