All times are UTC

It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 2:19 am

Post subject: Rohan Supplement
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:58 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Location: Somewhere in the Wild or by the Gaming Table in Imladris
Hi all!

I have long been inspired to compile a Rohan supplement. As far as I know, no major one has been made yet, so I think the idea is very cool. If anybody is inspired and would like to contribute, just say so and give your ideas, anything from articles, battle reports, showcase armies, painting guides, tactics etc. (All Rohan of course!) Thanks all!

Elrohir
(At last… Elladan has been posting too much :-D )

Note: In contributing anything, there is not guarantee your contributions will appear in the completed supplement. I may use just ideas, or parts or the whole of any contributions. Any contributors names or sources will be mentioned however. Thanks all! :)

We have the Appearance of Men, the Souls of Elves, and Behave like Dwarves.

Last edited by Elladan & Elrohir on Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: Rohan Supplement
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:15 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

If you search this forum for past topics involving Theoden, there are so cool profiles.

Im honestly fine with giving him only 2 attacks and fight 5, but he needs 3 might for a Pellanor profile, and he needs a rule to upgrade all rohirrim around him in some way whether it be a fight value thing or a banner, etc.

I think Eowyn needs another attack and a fluffy rule at least for her Pellanor profile as well. Something to do with the Witch King or Merry. Perhaps, if shes within 3"of Meriadoc of Rohan she passes all courage tests?

In terms of general warriors...how about instead of Osgiliath vets, Rohan has Helms Deep Vanguard:

Pts: 9
3/4+ 3 4 1 1 3

Wargear:
Spear: 1
Shield: 1
Throwin Spears: 2
Banner: 25
War Horn: 20

Special Rule: Loyal to the Captains-If Helms Deep veterans are within 6" of any Theoden or Aragorn profile, they receive a plus 1 to their fight value. This is cumulative with other bonuses.
Bodyguard: At the beginning of the game choose a hero or captain of Rohan. As long as this hero is alive, the vanguard passes all courage tests.

So youre looking at unbreakable, highly motivated troops. Their fight can still only tie Uruks though, which I think is fair, unless you have Theoden and Aragorn. They are fearless, which at Helms Deep they almost had to be.

But, their defense isnt special, and they still will have a tough time killing Uruks and others of that defense and fight value.

Thats all I really have for now. I may come up with some more later.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:47 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Great!

I like some of your ideas... Keep them coming! :-D The more input we have the better the supplement!

Elrohir

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:12 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

If you are interested i have been working for quite a while on both helmingas and rohan redshields conversions so they look different from the rest of the rohirim (the redshields are almost over painting and will post the pics soon).
You may have a look at my wip viewtopic.php?f=50&t=28778&start=60

Armies:Fiefdoms, Eastern Kingdoms
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:12 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Well there are a few heroes that were brought up in the War of the Ring and Legion expansions that were never given profiles Elfhelm and Dayawhine(or however you spell it) for instance. There were plans to make a Helm hammerhand campaign as well I think, which I would be more than happy to help draw up. But Pelennor fields profiles for other heroes would defiantly be a good thing.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:45 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

this is actually a profile for a campaign I'm creating. Scenario: The Pelennor.

Dernhelm (Eowyn & Meriadoc)

As long as they stay on horse, Eowyn & Meriadoc count as one model who can spend either eowyn's or merry's Might, Will, Fate and has 2 attacks. On foot, they became two different models.

Special Rules
-Fearless

-Dernhelm,the Kingsman
This model will always starts as a member of Theoden Warband. Since nobody knows that Dernhelm is Eowyn, no other model can benefit from her heroics actions nor stand fast. Also, has long as Dernhelm stays within 6'' of Theoden,the model count as being in banner range.

-I am no man!
"No living man may hinder me". But Dernhelm is no man, and neither is Merry. Should Eowyn win a fight against the witch king, she will automatically score a wound.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:37 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I like the rules for Dernhelm that you created! It's sort of like an ultimate personal bodyguard hero. It's very creative!

Also, I saw a profile for Theoden that I liked that had "Heroic Charge: This is a special Heroic Action that Theoden can call at the beginning of the move phase. When he does, all Rohan cavalry models withing 12" of Theoden gain +1 to wound when they charge an enemy model." (essentially they get lances for a turn)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:48 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

legion wrote:
Also, I saw a profile for Theoden that I liked that had "Heroic Charge: This is a special Heroic Action that Theoden can call at the beginning of the move phase. When he does, all Rohan cavalry models withing 12" of Theoden gain +1 to wound when they charge an enemy model." (essentially they get lances for a turn)

Haha, Yeah that was mine a good while back. I made this Theoden to represent him at Pelenor Fields, to show him at his finest hour as well as his darkest.

Theoden, Heir to Eorl.......100 points

F____S___D___A___W___C__M/W/F
5/-__4___7___3____3___6__3/3/1

Wargear:
Theoden, Heir to Eorl wears heavy armor, carries a shield and is armed with Heugrim (sword)
(for those cheesey power gamers)

At the additional listed points Theoden may take the following
Armored Horse...............15 points

Special Rules:
Heroic Charge - At the beginning of the move phase, Theoden, Heir to Eorl may expend a point of might to call a Heroic Charge. For that turn Theoden and all allied mounted Rohan models (heroes and troops) that are within 10" of Theoden, Heir to Eorl gain +1 to wound. Exactly as if they were armed with a lance (note: this bonus may stack with any similar bonus, such as a 2-hand weapon)

King of the Riddermark - Theoden, Heir to Eorl's stand fast is 12" rather than 6"

Expert Rider

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:17 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Great thread, I often wonder if any text escaped GW from the now Legendary cancelled Rohan Source Book. Would love to have read it. Apparently quite a few sculpts were made for it and also never produced, Aragorn as Throngil was apparently one of them.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:06 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

halloas: Very nice conversions! Looking forward to seeing your completed Redshields! If you are willing, it would be cool to have them in the supplement.

Wan Shi Tong: I am planning on including additional profiles such as Elfhelm, Deorwine, Fram, Aldor the Old, Helm Hammerhand, Eomund, Pellenor Fields profile for Theoden, etc. Have ideas for some of them.

Do you mean a campaign around The Long Winter in Rohan? Sounds great! We are alone here so large scale campaigns or play-testing is difficult.

Dikey: Very cool. Nice profile... I like the whole Dernhelm idea! Maybe you could even keep her secret and represent her by an ordinary Warrior of Rohan and then reveal her and swap the model for an Eowyn model!

JamesR: Your 'Heroic Charge' rule is pretty nice... I also like it that his Stand Fast is 12" rather than 6". Theoden really is lame in rulebooks.

Thanks all for your enthusiasm and input! Great ideas! The plan for the supplement is to get together a great resource for everyone that will improve the Rohan experience. :)

Elrohir

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:22 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Add one rule for all Rohan heroes:
Horse Lords: This hero gains +1 to his Fight value on a turn in which he charges if he/she is on horseback.
And another for all Rohan models:
Rohan Throwing Spears: This model can choose to use this throwing spear as either a throwing weapon or lance. In addition, this spear can be used to support other models when on foot. If it chooses to support another model, it cannot throw its spear this turn.
And give every named hero, with the possible exception of Eowyn, 3 points of might. Give Theoden a 12" stand fast and give Grimbold Burly and the option for heavy armor.

Last edited by Draugluin on Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:24 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Currently I am working on a Conversion Guide for a mounted Rohan Royal Guard captain charging over a dead orc! :-D

Elrohir

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:05 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Elladan & Elrohir wrote:
I like the whole Dernhelm idea! Maybe you could even keep her secret and represent her by an ordinary Warrior of Rohan and then reveal her and swap the model for an Eowyn model!

Here's an Eowyn profile I wrote up a while back that does just that. Feel free to use part/all of it if you like it:

Eowyn, Shieldmaiden of Rohan: 60 points
F4/4+ S4 D5 A2 W2 C5 Mi2 W1 F1

Wargear: Sword and Armour

Options:
Shield- 5 points
Horse- 10 points
(If mounted) Throwing Spears: 5 points

Special Rules:
Bodyguard: Theoden OR Eomer
Among the Host: When deploying, you may place a Warrior or Rider of Rohan model instead of Eowyn (note that this does not affect her statline or special rules). Make a note of which model this is. As soon as this model is targeted by any enemy action (including shooting, charges, fighting, spells or special rules that target her specifically), it is replaced by Eowyn's model. You may voluntarily replace the model with Eowyn at any point.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:26 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Draugluin: Nice! I agree the Rohirrim Heros need some upgrades. I was thinking of one myself:

Mearas. This Horse is of of the Line of Felaróf first of the Maeras, and will allow no one but a King of Rohan to mount him. When a Horse has this special rule, he may not be ridden by any other warrior or hero other than his rider, additionally he moves 11”/26cm rather than the usual 10”/24cm.

Mearas:
F S D A W C
0 3 4 0 1 4

It's half way between a normal Horse and Shadowfax.

Paradigm: Cool, just what I was thinking! I think it would be nice to use your 'Among the Host' special rule together with Dikey's 'I Am No Man!' and 'Dernhelm, the Kingsman' special rules.

Elrohir

Last edited by Elladan & Elrohir on Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:40 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I will offer this advise to you guys, don't spread yourselves to thin trying to make profiles, models, and campaigns for every major king in the History of Rohan. Rather pick one of the reins of a major king i.e. Eorl, Helm, Thengol, Théoden or Eomer and completing a mini supplement for each rein one at a time. Collect impute as you like but don't let yourselves lose focus.

I have been thinking about the profiles for Helm and I think something like this would suit him.

Helm the Hammerhand - 100 points

F 5/4+ S5 D6 A2 W3 C5 M2 W2 F2

War Gear: Heavy armor and a Sword
Can Buy: Shield-5, Horse- 10, Heavily Armored Horse- 15, Throwing spear -5

Special Rules:
Expert Rider, the Horn of Helm Hammerhand

Hammerhanded - Helm never counts as being unarmed

Lord of Rohan - Helms standfast has a ranger of 12 inches

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:00 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Wan Shi Tong wrote:
I will offer this advise to you guys, don't spread yourselves to thin trying to make profiles, models, and campaigns for every major king in the History of Rohan. Rather pick one of the reins of a major king i.e. Eorl, Helm, Thengol, Théoden or Eomer and completing a mini supplement for each rein one at a time. Collect impute as you like but don't let yourselves lose focus.

I have been thinking about the profiles for Helm and I think something like this would suit him.

Helm the Hammerhand - 100 points

F 5/4+ S5 D6 A2 W3 C5 M2 W2 F2

War Gear: Heavy armor and a Sword
Can Buy: Shield-5, Horse- 10, Heavily Armored Horse- 15, Throwing spear -5

Special Rules:
Expert Rider, the Horn of Helm Hammerhand

Hammerhanded - Helm never counts as being unarmed

Lord of Rohan - Helms standfast has a ranger of 12 inches

Helm would definitely have a 2-handed hammer, burly, weapon master instead of Hammerhanded and 3 attacks. Maybe even 5 base defense instead of the usual 4.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:44 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Wan Shi Tong: Thanks for the advice. 8)

I will most likely only make the major profiles, but if ideas or inspiration comes for the others I'll put them in. There's no rush, or deadline, I'm just enjoying the process of putting together such a broad project. Kinda like a natural process where ideas are born and evolve into projects (or die if they are no good). In many ways I'm going into new territory for me and exploring! :)

Elrohir

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:30 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Just some profile ideas

Thorongil
X Points
Thorongil is, in fact Aragorn, and you can not have any of them in the same army
Mv:6 F:6/3+A:3S:4D:6C:7 M:3 W:3 F:3
Wargear:
Aragorn has rohirrim plate mail and a sword
At an additional cost he may take:
Horse,,,,,,10 points
Bow,,,,,,,,,5points

Special rules
Mighty hero, Expert rider

Councellor: Thorongils will may be used by Thengel as well as by Thorongil himself

EVIL
Saruman of many colours(TWEAKED)

Mv:6 F:5/4+ A:1 S:4 D:4 W:3 C:7 M:3 W:6* F:1

Wargear;
Saruman Carries a Staff of power(TH weapon) and a dagger
Special rules:
Voice of Saruman(also counts as a banner), Staff of power, Palantir

Spells:
Fury......................- 2+(For Uruk-hai , Dunlendings and orcs only)
Aura of Dismay.....- 3+

Lurtz, The First
Mv:8 F6/3+ A:3 W:3 S:5 D:7 C:7 M:3 W:2 F:2
Wargear: Orc bow, Shield, Armour and Sword

Special rules:
Battlemaster: Lurtz gets all the bonuses for his shield, even trough he wields an orc bow.
Shield throw:
Lurtz may throw his shield once per game, if he does so he loses all bonuses for a shield, including the higher defence. The shield counts as a throwing weapon with range 4 and strength 5. Any model hit is paralysed, but will "Awake" on a 4+. (The shield struck the model and nailed it to the ground, it cannot be carried)
Unaffected by pain:
Lurtz always counts as being within range of a shaman of his race casting Fury
Thats my Profiles for now, planning Thengel, Echtellion, And a New "Dunland" faction.

Last edited by truck22 on Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:11 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Saruman seems massively overpowered to me, truck22. I feel you've tried to fit all the spells you want in a wizard into one profile, and he's too powerful in too many different ways. As well as that, the Calling Of. Storms spell is far too powerful to ever be used. With that range, if you teamed him up with an Uruk crossbow team, he could demolish an army on his own.

Never gonna run around and
Desert you
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:25 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

That is a massively OP profile. 12" is HUGE on a LOTR board, typically they're not bigger than 4ft square, so you've just effected 1/4 of it. And considering with Warband deployment your typically starting near the middle means it would probably hit every model in your opponent's army at once

MiniWargaming