All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:03 pm

Post subject: Gandalf the White
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:25 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Ok so me and my friend were thinking that Gandalf the white maybe even gandalf the gray (considering he was able to kill a balrog) 8) should have 3 attacks. Gandalf the white because he took out tons of orks and basically rallied all the men of gondor in the siege of minas tirith. Gandalf the gray took out a balrog. What do you guys think. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:28 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I think being Strength 5 with his sword is fair enough for him in combat. Yeah, he's good, but his real strength is his magic. As for rallying all the men in Gondor, the 12" stand fast represents that just fine (At least I think he has one). So in addition to being good with magic, he's a darn good leader.

Plus that would increase his points cost even further, and being that good in combat, especially with such magic prowess and the increased strength, would leave him with little weakness, other than the increase in points. I could see potentially adding one more attack, but even that's iffy.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:58 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

well I have though a nice "home made rule for that"...

If Gandalg uses magic (resisting is not considered) in the movement face then he has 1 attack but if don't then he has 2 attacks for the rest of the turn...

I don't know how it would work out but it would be kinda logical from certain point of view :rofl:

Just look how he "fought off" the Nazgyl on fell beasts ..in SBG he couln't even kill 1 of them not to talk about Balrog but to represent that in game he would become very specific and expensive so it could be hard :rofl:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:09 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

by giving him three attacks you would create another anoying overpowered figure such as aragorn.

one attack is good, considdering that he is an old man and realy hasnt got a fighting focus in the books or films.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:49 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Gandalf the white most definately has a 12" standfast and is practically fearless C7 + 1 free point of will makes C8 which even a snake eyes on the dice makes 10.

However being able to fit gandalf the white into a highly competitive army is very tough, his points cost and the need for another hero to ally causes the army to have very few troops.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:10 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

My opinion is that Gandalf is just fine the way he is. His true strength lay in his wise counsel and his ability to inflame the hearts of those around him, through his leadership and enhanced by the power of his ring. He is not defenseless in combat as it is, and making him better would make him imbalanced.

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:12 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Gandalf wasn't an old man, he was a spirit bound to that guise. When around others he had to be restrained...that was the condition set on him. But if nobody else was watching the wraps could come off. The books explain most of this.
Besides, this game isn't capable of modelling that kind of conflict. In the First Age a single Elf fought a Balrog and won, but you couldn't have a game based on that scenario.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:39 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

well yes, but in the form of an old man
 Post subject: ih
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:33 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Yes you are right that he has an old feeble body, yetwith one attack two weak orcs could defeat him in a fight, ignoring how much he would cost I think he should have two attacks.

Post subject: Re: ih
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:46 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

batman4pres wrote:
Yes you are right that he has an old feeble body, yetwith one attack two weak orcs could defeat him in a fight, ignoring how much he would cost I think he should have two attacks.

True, the odds are poor. How about: he can spend a point of Will to gain an attack. He can spend no more than 2 points of Will this way per turn. He can still cast magic on the same turn, but he's burning through Will, so that's a tactical decision on the part of the player. Would that kind of rule affect his points? I don't think so.
 Post subject: good
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:05 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Quote:
True, the odds are poor. How about: he can spend a point of Will to gain an attack. He can spend no
more than 2 points of Will this way per turn. He can still cast magic on the same turn, but he's burning through Will, so that's a tactical decision on the part of the player. Would that kind of rule affect his points? I don't think so.

I feel that this sounds good. It shouldn't cost points because he has to give up hiw will to use it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:59 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

well...perhaps a few extra points (maybe 10) because once you reach combat you can start using your 1 free point of will to have 2 S5 attacks or 6/8 S4 if you win combat and have charged on a horse.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:56 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

The newbie wrote:
well...perhaps a few extra points (maybe 10) because once you reach combat you can start using your 1 free point of will to have 2 S5 attacks or 6/8 S4 if you win combat and have charged on a horse.

Good point. How about it lasts only as long as he has actual Will (not the free point).