All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:41 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: If you could change one character or rule............
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:21 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

How about for piercing strike: If you win, you get +1 strength, if you loose, you get -2 to your defence. Saves an aditional roll, you don't have hobbits/ reavers/ goblins etc. achieving St6. I think itwould just help streamline it a bit. Alternatively, if you win you get +1 to your to-wound roll, if you loose your opponent gets +1 to thier to wound roll.

I also think feint is strange, because there is no reason NOT to use it if you're a lower Fight value to your opponent. But i can't think of a better way to work it now.

I like bash, because the aditional roll compare stats of both comabtants, and with it being more situational, you aren't rolling a bunch of aditional dice eash turn.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:26 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I think the way to improve Feint would be that you can only use it if your starting Fight is higher.

I think it works okay as it is though.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:23 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Another model i'd change is Radagast's sleigh. I hate that thing, i've never played against and probably never will but the idea behind it is just pathetic. How 8 rabbits and some sticks turn a crotchety old stoner into one of the best models in the game, i'll never understand.

Never gonna run around and
Desert you
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:21 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Isilduhrr wrote:
Another model i'd change is Radagast's sleigh. I hate that thing, i've never played against and probably never will but the idea behind it is just pathetic. How 8 rabbits and some sticks turn a crotchety old stoner into one of the best models in the game, i'll never understand.

Crotchety old stoner hahaha.

True story though.... his overall combat prowess shouldn't work too well.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:05 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

LordoftheBrownRing wrote:
Isilduhrr wrote:

Crotchety old stoner hahaha.

True story though.... his overall combat prowess shouldn't work too well.

Took down Gimli on the charge with him... immobilized then thats how his overall combat prowess went. 8 S2 A against a pinned dwarf..
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:10 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I like the idea of weapon special rules - and I like the fact that sometimes there is an obvious choice (losing 1D will be irrelevant to some models) as I think that some weapons would have an advantage - if you're a hobbit fighting a troll if doesn't matter how low defence you have - if you get hit you die so go for the big swing.

My suggestions.

2-handed weapons +1 to wound. -1 Defence. (You're hitting harder but leaving yourself open to being hit if you miss).

Feint (sword/dagger). Reroll 1s to win fight. -1 Defence. The whole point of feinting is to allow openings to hit for higher skilled players but it's trickier to pull off.

Piercing Strike (axe/pick) +1 Strength. -1 Defence. Similar to 2 handed weapons but with less power.

Stun (staff/club) when winning the fight you may make a s1 hit and make the enemy -1F & -1A (min 1) for a turn. Makes it more reliable and still strong enough to help vs larger creatures of heroes.

Bash (hammer/maul) when winning the fight you may make a s1 hit and knock the enemy back double the normal amount (usually 2"). Pretty obviously, attempt to re-position the enemy rather than outright kill. Makes most sense to knock people back with a hammer. Potentially double again for a 2-handed weapon?

Trip (whip/scourge) when winning a fight may trip enemy rather than strike. Model using this option may only make a max of 1 attack and has -1 fight. Idea is to shut down models or help allies to finish rather than would, Whips may hurt but aren't designed for combat like other weapons.

Flail (Flail/Mace) May opt to whirl their weapon instead of attacking normally. If they win they may make their attacks against each enemy in b2b contact. If losing counts as trapped. Idea is to make it more attractive than current. They aren't common weapons but I like the idea of whirling around when outnumbered.

Also, cavalry do one impact hit and monsters do d3 impact hits. Str equal to D-3.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:05 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I like the stun. And with the bash, how about hes knocked back 2" and falls to the ground? And you do no damage? That way hes way out of position but no double strikes...just a thought.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:34 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

If people are flailing they're almost always trapped anyway though.

Desert you
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:56 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

not if you have two enemy models in front of you and your rear is safe. Yeah but most of the time you are trapped anyway :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:55 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Its more of a thematic thing, but I'd give Gil-Galad Vilya where it belongs.

Maybe a points cost and make it optional wargear if you don't have Elrond on the field.

I'd also make warhorns & Banners available for every basic troop type....*Cough* Numenor *Cough*

:boromir

My WIP - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=28272
The Red Book of Westmarch
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:55 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I would make aragorns sword (both anduril and his regular sword) count as elven blades. Anduril is arguably an elven blade, and his ranger sword is a hand and a half sword thus should be able to benefit from elven blade rules.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:10 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I defintely agree with both of you. Anduril really should win on a like 2 or 3-6 especially considering now there are so many fight 6-7 units.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:10 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Corsair reavers, fight 4 ffs.

Additionally, I really don't like the stat creep of the hobbit heroes. While I think they're fun game mechanics they just sort of ruin the old LOTR ones. This is partial because I had a hard time swallowing the hobbit movies and their glorification in gw profiles pours salt in the wounds! Agree with Lurtz and Theoden, Theodred, and Elrond as mentioned earlier.

I am still hopeful, but I would love to a see an enchanting song type elf for Thranduil's halls list. They are just so iconic to me for Mirkwood elves based on the books. I would hate to see that list, though I love how developed it is, lose that flavor.

P
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:09 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Honestly, I think Id just do away with Special Strikes entirely. The game has functioned fine without them for the greater part of its lifespan, and they don't really add much in the way of tactics as so often the choice is made for you.

Profile-wise, I would like to see a better Eowyn. Boost her to 50-ish points, add +1A, S and W and include Armour and Shield as standard. She is a pretty awesome character, and while her current profile is a bargain for Might Points, I'd like to see her as a better fighter.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:46 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Im sorry man, but youre wrong about that. Its just the style you play though.....

I think about special strikes with my troops every time I build an army, every time I deploy, and generally when I move and position my troops.

If I see elves I bring higher attack units against them that can feint. Or if Im playing against Gundabad Orcs with Dwarves and laketown for example, Ill bring my dwarves against their shield units to piercing strike, and have the laketown men go after wargs or hunters instead....etc

As for Eowyn, yes. I agree. I think its stupid they make her fight 5 with 1 attack. Id much rather see 4 with 2 attacks.....and maybe her more expensive profile could be like 70-75 points and have a fluffy special rule with rohan.

Like Idk......you know how she blended in with Rohirkrim....one of a few rules I can think of.

1-Give her a swap rule with a rider of rohan like fili and kili
2-Make her invulnerable to ranged attacks by the enemy because they 'dont know'its her
3-If shes in base contact with another rider, it can take a wound instead of her

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:03 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

LordoftheBrownRing wrote:
Im sorry man, but youre wrong about that. Its just the style you play though.....

Oh, I agree they are useful, and do offer something to think about, but I suppose on of the things I've loved about LotR from the start is the simplicty of it. To me, having different rules for axes, swords, flails and al the rest is just a layer of complexity too much. I was fine with the distinction of spears, pikes, 2-handers and Hand Weapons, but the newer rules are just a layer of rules too many for me.

I do like your idea for Eowyn there. To take a shot at it, here's a 5-minute alternative Eowyn profile:
Eowyn, Shieldmaiden of Rohan: 60 points
F4/4+ S4 D5 A2 W2 C5 Mi2 W1 F1

Wargear: Sword and Armour

Options:
Shield- 5 points
Horse- 10 points
(If mounted) Throwing Spears: 5 points

Special Rules:
Bodyguard: Theoden OR Eomer
Among the Host: When deploying, you may place a Warrior or Rider of Rohan model instead of Eowyn (note that this does not affect her statline or special rules). Make a note of which model this is. As soon as this model is targeted by any enemy action (including shooting, charges, fighting, spells or special rules that target her specifically), it is replaced by Eowyn's model. You may voluntarily replace the model with Eowyn at any point.

So nothing OP, but gives her a neat and thematic trick that could be fun to play.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:52 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Paradigm, does Eowyn's special rule mean that the opponent does not know who Eowyn is? That could be very fun for both the player and the opponent, as the opponent would have to be very carefully watching the troop movements to try and figure it out. I like it...

Desert you
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:10 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Yeah, exactly. The enemy will know roughly where she is from the warband/army list, but until she hits them they won't know exactly which model is Eowyn.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:48 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I would like a slightly stronger profile for Eowyn as well. at least +1A and +1D. And a special rule to reflect her courage.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:44 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I would either change Aragorn or Boromir. They're just too expensive for what they do. For Aragorn (all three versions) he needs to just completely ignore difficult terrain. He's a Ranger for Eru's sake. He also needs to have 7 courage, just because he's Aragorn. He should also come with terror. Either say it's him crying Elendil, or just having Anduril, he needs terror. Finally, add something to Anduril, like make it an elven blade, or maybe gives him +1 to win or something. It's 75 points, it needs something to make it better than "I am the Master".

As for Boromir, make his horn an actual war horn that also causes terror. An entire army of goblins/Uruk-hai (at different times) stopped attacking him because it freaked them out so much. Maybe also have negative to enemy courage or something, although that one isn't needed.

They both just need something to make them the heroes they were in the books and movies.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next