All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:22 pm

Post subject: When Grima joins the White Council
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:31 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I played a game with the White Council against Isengard and ran into some rules questions.

The scenario was Heirlooms of the Past, which uses Maelstrom of Battle deployment (i.e. no warband starts on the board, they roll on a table to see if they come on and where).

First question: If Grima is attached to the White Council warband, does he force them to spend extra might to influence the deployment roll? Yes, of course, he's with the warband! No, obviously not, he's not "within 6 inches" of the relevant hero when no one has even been deployed yet! We played it that Grima does effect the expenditure but it seems very unclear in the rules.

Second question: Because Grima joined the White Council and I can't roll to save my life, I was tempted to spend 4 might to modify the die roll by 2 and get on where I wanted. Collectively, the heroes have 4 might, no individual hero does though. Can Galadriel spend 1 and Elrond spend 3 for example or does all the might have to come from one hero? The scenario says the warband's "captain" may spend might. When a warband contains multiple heroes is one the captain? Presumably?

Third question: Elrond, Lord of the West calls a heroic strike he does so "without expending any Might." When people near Grima call heroic actions "2 Might points must be expended instead of 1". Which takes precedence?

Bleeping Grima.
 Post subject: Re: When Grima joins the White Council
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:40 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Haha, always worth his points, especially with a hero force.

Don't know the answers but am interested to find out so following this post.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:42 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Really interesting questions. I'm sure GW did not think of those aspects when creating the rules.

Question 1: In my opinion it could be either way. One only should make a decision how to treat this Problem and keep with it. (As you did, of course!) Perhaps that's something for FAQ.

Question 2: There are some characters which always come in pairs like Elladan and Elrohir or Murin and Drar. If they are leading a warband, one of both has to be made the leader, which is explicitly written in the rules. Maybe it's a similar case with the White Council. I suppose, the extra might due to Grima's influence has to be spent by the same hero who gave the first point of might, so if Grima is near by, might has to be spent in even numbers by each hero.

Question 3: Following the citated rule, it's 2 might instead of 1, and not 2 instead of 0. Therefore I suppose, if there is no expending of might, Grima's rule does not apply anyway.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:54 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hello,
I'll give you my own interpretation of the situations that you've described :)

1) I don't know... :P
2) Usually, in that case, you have to define the captain amongst all eligible targets (i.e. all heroes in the warband)
3) If the heroic action is free because no might is spent, I would say that Grima can't use his special rule (for instance, Elendil's free heroic combat). This is different from taskmasters, however. In that case, I would say that the hero who wants to call an heroic action has to "theorically" spend 2 points of might. If the taskmaster makes it free, 0 might is spent :)