All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:23 am

Post subject: Throwing Weapons and Movement
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:45 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I recently got back in the hobby, this time more serious, and have been building various armies, mostly for the looks/style/theme.

I was kind of bummed out when i found out Warriors of Rohan can't use their throwing spears to support... I'm not sure I agree with that but after all those are the official rules.
Now I have decided that instead of whining about what I can't do, I will make sure I make the most of what I actually can do.

My questions are:
- Do you have to move/charge to use throwing weapons? If no, then I would throw my weapons in the shoot phase, correct?

- Is it possible to throw spears at your opponent from a comfortable distance? Can i stand behind fortifications or on top of a wall and bombard oncoming hordes with spears?

- Is it possible to throw a weapon and run away from the target during the move phase?

- How does the movement penalty for shooting affect throwing weapons?

- Is there a difference between throwing spears and throwing axes for example?

Thank you for your time! :time:
 Post subject: Re: Throwing Weapons and Movement
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:26 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Hya, answers below:

1) You can throw your throwing weapon in the Move phase as you charge OR in the Shoot phase like a normal missile weapon

2) Yes, you can throw your spears from wherever you wish as long as your target is in range (8" in the case of Rohan Throwing Spears). If you are in base to base contact with a fortification like a wall or fortress battlement then you can shoot without penalty but if you are not in base contact then you will have to make an In the Way roll for any such obstructions.

3) No. You can only use a Throwing Weapon in the Move phase if you are charging

4) Exactly as normal, if you move you suffer -1 to your Shoot value (although models armed with Throwing Weapons can move their full move value and still shoot)

5) No, most Throwing Weapons work in the same way in terms of rolling to hit and to wound. However, Rohan's Throwing spears have the benefit of n 8" range rather than 6" which can make a huge difference.

Hope that helps!

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:02 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I have a related question.
What if a model throws his weapon before a charge, but did not move? To be clear, a model that is already 1" away when priority is rolled.
So far, we have been playing it without a penalty since the model actually moves after throwing his weapon.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:20 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

This is perfect, thank you Dr. Grant!

Sort of unrelated question: Since Riders of Rohan don't count towards bow limit (but warriors do) can I choose to dismount all of my riders in the beggining of the game and have a 100% bow army on foot?
Not that I would waste so many points and the ability to cavalry charge, but is this in theory possible?

The only use i could think of would be so they could move through narrow hallways and choke points where it seems Rohan would be pretty weak with all the emphasis on cavalry and no spear support.

One of the other armies I'm working on is Durin's Folk and compared to Rohan they seem to be opposites when it comes to what terrain favours them. Which makes sense haha :gimli: :gimli:

Sorry for bringing my own thread off topic, just thinking out loud...
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:53 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Dikey wrote:
What if a model throws his weapon before a charge, but did not move? To be clear, a model that is already 1" away when priority is rolled.
So far, we have been playing it without a penalty since the model actually moves after throwing his weapon.

Obviously that's a very specific situation as it only occurs when you begin your move exactly 1" away from the target. However, you would still suffer the -1 penalty, despite the fact that you can theorise that you throw before you move, the rules don't take account of that and it's all assumed to happen at the same time.

SteezyBaggins wrote:
Sort of unrelated question: Since Riders of Rohan don't count towards bow limit (but warriors do) can I choose to dismount all of my riders in the beggining of the game and have a 100% bow army on foot?
Not that I would waste so many points and the ability to cavalry charge, but is this in theory possible?

Yes you can absolutely do this if you wish, However, it would be a catastrophically bad idea as you would be wasting the points you spent on the horses. If you had 18 Riders of Rohan (18 models with 18 bows) and, rather than dismounting, you swapped the extra points spent on your horses for more warriors, you would have about 36 models with 12 bows. Sure you'd have 6 less shots but your army would be much better off in every other sense.

So yes, you could dismount all your models and keep all the bows if you wish, just don't ;-)

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:56 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Dr Grant wrote:
Dikey wrote:

Obviously that's a very specific situation as it only occurs when you begin your move exactly 1" away from the target. However, you would still suffer the -1 penalty, despite the fact that you can theorise that you throw before you move, the rules don't take account of that and it's all assumed to happen at the same time.

Specific, but not rare. A model previously engaged in a fight who either didn't get killed or did not manage to kill all its opponent is presumed to be 1" away from the enemy model it was fighting in the previous turn. Depending on the army, it could happen quite often in a game.