All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:49 am

Post subject: Paralyse, Set Ablaze and End phase
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:51 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Taking the rules as written it seems pretty clear how Paralyse and Set Ablase works but it doesn't feel right. I'm seeing this with the Trolls in Roast Mutton.

One of the Trolls uses Keep'em for Later (pg187) on a dwarf during the fight phase, which makes him Paralysed pg 80. Then the end phase comes around and you resolve effects. This means the dwarf has a chance to recover and stand up. So the Brutal Attack can literally do nothing if the dwarf recovers. I initially interpreted the rules that you get a chance to recover the following end phase. If the dwarf is allowed to recover the same turn that it happened then really he resisted it. Makes it a Wimpy Attack really.

Now the other side of the coin. Bert does Roast'em Slowly on a dwarf which sets the dwarf Ablaze (p83). So the dwarf takes the initial hit in the fight phase. The the end phase happens and he takes damage again. So really he will be hit twice no matter what. Again it doesn't feel right.

My conclusion is that End phase is very clear here but it nerfs Paralyse and makes Set Ablaze somewhat over powered. Any thoughts?
 Post subject: Re: Paralyse, Set Ablaze and End phase
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:31 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Well, paralyzed models can recover from the effects at the end of the fight phase in the same turn that they were placed under the effect, not in the end phase. Even so I think the Brutal power attack still has merit given what it can make the good player do in Roast Mutton and in points games. Since there is only a 1/6 chance the effected model will recover the controlling player will either have to get a lucky role or burn off some of the might supply to escape the sack. If they do not they are stuck, prone and immovable, right next to the troll that had previously used the Brutal power attack.

Given that the Trolls were had there abilities tailored to fight a group of heroes I think this Brutal power attack is for helping them where down the more fighty dwarves in the Company early on by drawing out there might. It is possible that it won't do anything much to them but that is always the risk with paralyze as a spell too. I can see its uses for dealing with models that one of the trolls might not be able to kill outright.

The Set Ablaze power attack, on the other hand, does seem a lot more situational then tactical. I would be hard pressed to think of how it would be better to due that over, say, a rend or just attacking normally. If it was like dragon fire and killed things instantly then it would be something fearsome. However, it only delivers a single strength 9 hit followed by a strength 5 at the end of every turn until the controlling player uses the models movement phase to put out the flames. Which sounds like it would be deadly if you then charged the model to stop it from moving or used Keep'em for Later along with it. But against the dwarfs that just not very useful. Sure they will likely take a wound from the first hit but a good few could shrug of the next one and then just put out the fire. Alone I don't think Set Ablaze is all that powerful compared to the other things they could do instead.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:26 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yes, paralyze seems underpowered but it is very effective.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:20 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I see it says end of fight phase when it describes Paralyse but on p17 under End phase it mentions Paralyse also. Kind of a moot point since the end phase comes after the fight.

Bottom line is that you guys play it as written then. Thanks for the input.