All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:47 pm

Post subject: Race/culture
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:05 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Has there been a FAQ or statement regarding race vs culture for the SBG? I ask because in LOTR TCG there is a big difference between race vs culture. For example, in the TCG there is a difference between, "X card makes a human better" vs "X card makes a Gondorian better." It was very important for orcs as the game featured mordor orcs, isengard orcs, and morgal orcs. Some cards worked on any orc and others targeted specific cultures (IE, Isengard vs Mordor vs morgal).

I asked because in Battle Companies under the section regarding equipment for your hero it says you may purchase any piece of war gear available to your race. Does that mean I can buy a longbow (available to citadel guard) for my ranger of the north who is serving as my Lt in my Arnor BC? He is technically human as are the Citadel Guard but he is from Arnor and not Gondor. Am I making sense?
 Post subject: Re: Race/culture
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:53 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

To my knowledge their is not an FAQ as such but the difference between race and culture is present in several special rules. The Fury spell comes to mind as a fitting example as it has a general race specific effect and a exception to that rule in the Easterling war priest which is stated to only effect humans from the Eastern Kingdoms and not all humans on the same side. Given the distinction which has been made here and with a few other example of distinction between culture and race, like the moria goblin drum, the banner of the white tower etc. I think it can be soundly supported that when a rule says race it means the whole race and not a subgroup or culture. Under this interpretation you are able to buy not only a long bow for you ranger but also a camel or even a mumak I you could afford it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:28 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Culture means faction, race is race (although species would be more accurate).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:47 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

My word, I had never even considered buying a camel for my Dunedain. New doors opened everywhere.