All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:34 pm

Post subject: Rohan throwing spear charge
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:28 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Ran into this in a game I played and wanted to check out the validity of it.

A rider of rohan charges into an orc, throws his spear during the charge and kills the orc. The player then chooses to have the rider continue the charge into another orc, can he then throw another spear into this orc as well, kill it, then choose to continue to charge into a different model, throw a spear, kill it, so on and so forth?

The situation created a moment where you have a rider who continuously killed orcs with throwing spears as he chose to continue his charge into another model after each one is killed.
 Post subject: Re: Rohan throwing spear charge
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:33 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

No, you only get to throw it once.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:20 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Is there a reasoning behind this? I know the player in question is going to be asking a bunch of questions as to why and how it doesnt work the way he reads it.

I read it as the model continues its charge into another model and not that it starts an entirely new charge.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:49 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

He moves again because he killed with the throwing spear, but a model can only shoot once per turn. That is why he isn't allowed to throw another spear.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:01 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

if the rider had expert shot to allow him to shoot twice then i would allow him to do it but there are not models with a throwing weapon and has expert shot so no one shot per turn that's the rule
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:13 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

In addition to Rules As Writtten (RAW), it is also important to think of the reality the Rules try to reflect. (In this case, a charging horseman has little time to grab another spear and hurl it before crashing into the enemy).

Yes, I want to squeeze every possible advantage from Rules As Written --and I have often lost to players who know those (legal though unrealistic) advantages--but considering the reality of Tolkien's world will keep the rules balanced and fun--and avoid that annoying Lawyer Loophole mentality.

That said, there is such a wide range of taste in our community... From "Orc spears supporting Harad at Pelennor? No, no, no..." all the way over to the other extreme of "Can spiders be equipped with axes?". I like to think of myself as in between--but some don't think I am. I sometimes use a Shade, for example: which is frowned upon by many (though it costs an Orc warband in points...and anyone can use one...and why don't more show up if they are so unfairly overpowered?). And I lean toward "filthy" elite armies because I am weak in tactics...

All to say that balancing Rules with Tolkien Reality is a healthy mindset. Our game is bound to an Epic legend, that sings "This could really be..." (especially in the books) --which is the opposite (IMHO) of interchangable Profiles justified by an arbitrary--even silly--universe.

I might be over-thinking this.