All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:10 pm

Post subject: Is this miniature trapped?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:41 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Is this Black miniature trapped? It's in combat with a red one, and there are other "not mobile" miniatures (Red spots, enemies or could be if there were more, friendly miniatures in a combat that hasn't been done yet).

In our city, some people just "push" a little the black miniature but not a whole 1 UM, so I think that's wrong. In that case, there are more trapped situations than we expected playing this way.

The second image shows in orange the enemies Control Zone.

Trapped?

Control zones

And another question related: In which direction do you move when retreating after a failed combat? And who moves the miniature?

I think is the shortest path from the contact point against an enemy (and if there are more than one, the shortest path to be out of their control zones [something like adding the two vectors]).

Thank you!

Last edited by Tharkan on Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: Is this miniatures trapped?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:18 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I play that he can back away. People that I play with exclude control zones when backing away from combats. So the black miniature can back away up, right and down the inch.

I think the player controlling the miniature backs it away any way they want at least an inch.

Please note I don't have the hobbit rule book so going off the lotr one although I could still be wrong.

Post subject: Re: Is this miniatures trapped?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:09 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

P39 of the rulebook. Control Zones should be ignored, as long as the model does not move into base contact with an enemy. The text further claims that the loser must back away in a straight line (which would make trapping very easy), but the example (#26) says the direction is up to the controlling player - which is a much more common way of playing it from what I've seen.

So in your example, the black dot can move to the top or right, moving a full inch and ending up between either of those pairs of enemies, but in base contact with neither. Had those gaps been filled with more enemy red dots, the black one would have been unable to back away, and thus would have been trapped (despite only being in combat with a single figure).
 Post subject: Re: Is this miniature trapped?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:07 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thank you very much! It's more clear now!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:31 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Yeah I would agree - my understanding is that as long as there is some room to back away the model is not trapped - control zones are ignored for this purpose.

so to truly trap a model they would have to have no way to back away at all - or a choice between a fall and being trapped potentially.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:52 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Today when playing Constantine he mentioned that they play that if a model is fighting three models even if all three are on one side, that the model counts as trapped. Said you no longer have to actually trap the model in place because the model cannot move 1" from every combatant so he is trapped. I have never see this ever in my life. But I suppose by the wording that is true. So if you have
G
G B
G

then B is automatically trapped because there are three models in the combat against him. At least that is how they interpreted the rules. Is this correct of is it just a interpretation of the wording that can be mistaken?

Up until tonight I have always though that if you can move away in any direction than you are not trapped, and only three models can trap you if they are equally spread out around your base.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:41 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The rules don't state that the model must end 1" from all enemy models, they state that a model must be able to move the full 1" away. Enemy models or terrain have to physically stop the model from making that move; whether the end position of that move is just 1mm from an enemy it was fighting is irrelevant.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:47 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Quote:
The rules don't state that the model must end 1" from all enemy models, they state that a model must be able to move the full 1" away.

I know realize that I have been playing it wrong for a number of years, haha. Do you remember which old version of the rules had the condition that a model must end its movement 1'' away from its combatants?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:38 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

He's not trapped.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:55 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Constantine wrote:
I know realize that I have been playing it wrong for a number of years, haha. Do you remember which old version of the rules had the condition that a model must end its movement 1'' away from its combatants?

No worries man. There have been 5 official SBG rule books and a huge number of supplements since this game has started. And I can tell you that none of them have been error free and without exception all of them have had wording issues. Your reasoning is sound, it was just something I had never seen in game. Based on just the FAQ forums you can tell that there are many such instances of unclear rules.