All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:16 am

Post subject: Galadriel's Makeup Mirror
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:54 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Ok guys, so I may use this in the future, but I have a few questions......

1-Can you, or the enemy, by the rules carry this thing?

2-Can it be destroyed with batter points?

Also, any ideas, tactics, or notes you have about it, please let me know.

Post subject: Re: Galadriel's Makeup Mirror
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:36 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The rules very clearly state that it cannot be moved, and seeing how it doesn't have a profile of any kind, it also can't be destroyed.

As for tactics - not moving obviously lends itself to a defensive strategy, which should combine well with Elven archery and Galadriel's Blinding Light. Note that this may not necessarily work in some scenarios (although e.g. putting the Mirror on the hill of The High Ground and posting some tough heroes nearby sounds like fun). To make good use of it, I'd say it's best combined with at least 2 heroes with at least 2 Fate. Mounted heroes (able to run to the mirror, and come back refreshed next turn) may work, but are much more likely to lose their mount before losing their Fate points. Galadriel herself, as well as e.g. Gandalf will be near unkillable within range: 3 re-rollable Fate that can replenished each turn. I can see it working nicely with an all-hero White Council army.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:10 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Coenus Scaldingus wrote:
The rules very clearly state that it cannot be moved, and seeing how it doesn't have a profile of any kind, it also can't be destroyed.

As for tactics - not moving obviously lends itself to a defensive strategy, which should combine well with Elven archery and Galadriel's Blinding Light. Note that this may not necessarily work in some scenarios (although e.g. putting the Mirror on the hill of The High Ground and posting some tough heroes nearby sounds like fun). To make good use of it, I'd say it's best combined with at least 2 heroes with at least 2 Fate. Mounted heroes (able to run to the mirror, and come back refreshed next turn) may work, but are much more likely to lose their mount before losing their Fate points. Galadriel herself, as well as e.g. Gandalf will be near unkillable within range: 3 re-rollable Fate that can replenished each turn. I can see it working nicely with an all-hero White Council army.

To put it in perspective I was gonna put it in a hero army that looked something like this:

Galadriel with mirror
Twins mounted with armor
Glorifindel mounted
Legolas mounted
Thranduil mounted
And either Erestor or Haldir

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:14 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

IMO your wasting the mirror with all those mounts. I understand why you're taking them but the mirror makes your strong heroes seem like they're popping Mirakuru (roids basically).
Glorfy will be incredibly hard to kill if parked by the mirror.

I've never faced an all hero army with the mirror but I think it actually negates some of the mirror's strengths. You can only replenish 1 hero per turn of their fate. And south so few units you might have multiple heroes needing it at once. Also even with full fate you can still die if you're surrounded and enough wounds are inflicted, having the regular warriors prevents your heroes from being that outnumbered in combats and IMO as a result boosts the mirror's effectiveness.
Hope that helps

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:44 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yeah it does but I'm playing in a 750 pt 20 model limit tourney. Weird I know.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:26 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

JamesR wrote:
I've never faced an all hero army with the mirror but I think it actually negates some of the mirror's strengths. You can only replenish 1 hero per turn of their fate. And south so few units you might have multiple heroes needing it at once. Also even with full fate you can still die if you're surrounded and enough wounds are inflicted, having the regular warriors prevents your heroes from being that outnumbered in combats and IMO as a result boosts the mirror's effectiveness.

Not entirely sure to what extent that holds true (although it crossed my mind as well). With an all-hero army, you will at least be able to make as much use of the Mirror as with a normal, balanced force - sure, only once per turn, but that's still the same amount as it would be for an alternative force composition. The chances of having a hero with reduced Fate within range will only be higher, and just because you can only 'heal' one Hero even if there are several injured ones in range, that doesn't make the Mirror any less useful (just makes the choices more difficult). Being surrounded is a genaral risk of all-hero armies, it doesn't really affect the Mirror, and the Mirror won't affect it all too much (aside from being able to survive large numbers of attacks more easily with 3 rather than 0 Fate).
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:19 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Well to give you guys an idea....I was described the old scenarios which will be modified, but probably similar.

Ones death match, one is get the ring out of the middle, and another is control the hill.

I figure for death match just hang around the mirror, for the ring one place it off to the side somewhere as it will distract them and draw their forces away from the objective, and for the last scenario just plant it right in the middle of the point.