All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 am

Post subject: SBG - heroic actions
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:05 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

P57 Hobbit rulebook, states.... "A model may only benefit from a single Heroic Action in each PHASE"

So for example, in the MOVE phase, you could only have a model gain benefit from Heroic Move or Heroic March or Heroic Channelling, but not combinations of them ... So no having one hero call Heroic Move, which benefits another friendly hero who may wish to the do a Heroic March or Heroic Channelling...

Same with shoot phase; no combining Heroic Shoot and Heroic Accuarcy with 'adjacent' heroes...

With me so far?

But whilst reading through the v1.1 Official Update, P3 of the update answers a FAQ about a model calling a Heroic Strike AND benefiting from a Heroic Combat - basically saying the The Heroic Strike effect benefits the model continuing through the Fight phase and the subsequent Heroic Combat actions that phase.

But that seems to contradict that a model can only benefit from a single Heroic Action per phase!?

Or did I miss something?

Post subject: Re: SBG - heroic actions
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:17 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

So two heros are in a combat.
hero 1 calls heroic strike and gains his FV.
Hero 2 calls a heroic combat and they win. then they move to another fight and drags the other guy along.

So in this situation you are contradicting the rules as you state.

But if you think about both combats (first and subsequent one they move to) as 1 fight. technically the other hero didn't benefit from the heroic combat, he just got to fight more guys in his fight phase. (sure the player probably is not too upset at the out come). But you can't strip the hero of his spent might point, his FV is up for the phase. I think logically the hero calling the strike should not be able to move to another combat after the first one, but since this is such a rare instance (having two heroes' in the same combat calling these combined) I think it should be allowed rather than waste the might points. The FAQ supports the rare case only.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:21 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

For the community FAQ we ruled it that heroes could call multiple heroic actions per phase, this was based on the GW FAQ even if it did contradict the rulebook.

However, Simon Grant today posted on the GBHL FB page that he had read the community FAQ. So some things may change in the coming weeks.

Quote:
Hi folks,
Good news. I’ve finally had time to go through the FAQ document that you guys produced (cheers for forwarding that to me, Damian or Owen – I can't remember who sent it now!). I’ve updated all of the files, which are now being translated; the official FAQs should hopefully be up fairly shortly after this process is finished.
Two things, however: First of all, I’ve not answered every single question on the list, as I’ve still had to abide by our usual FAQ filtering methods (these tend to be questions that are deemed overly pedantic or that don’t really need such specific clarification). As a result, for any questions that have not been answered directly (or cleared up by the addition of new errata), I would suggest continuing to use your group’s living FAQ document. You guys will probably want to update that file as soon as you can after the official updates go live.
On that note, the second point is that you will notice that some of the official answers are different to those that you guys had agreed upon (not many, I hasten to add, but a few). Though obviously not all of you will agree to these changes, they will be official, and therefore implemented at all GW-run events – I would therefore suggest getting used to them!
Enjoy!

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:41 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

SouthernDunedain wrote:
For the community FAQ we ruled it that heroes could call multiple heroic actions per phase, this was based on the GW FAQ even if it did contradict the rulebook.

However, Simon Grant today posted on the GBHL FB page that he had read the community FAQ. So some things may change in the coming weeks.

Quote:
Hi folks,
Good news. I’ve finally had time to go through the FAQ document that you guys produced (cheers for forwarding that to me, Damian or Owen – I can't remember who sent it now!). I’ve updated all of the files, which are now being translated; the official FAQs should hopefully be up fairly shortly after this process is finished.
Two things, however: First of all, I’ve not answered every single question on the list, as I’ve still had to abide by our usual FAQ filtering methods (these tend to be questions that are deemed overly pedantic or that don’t really need such specific clarification). As a result, for any questions that have not been answered directly (or cleared up by the addition of new errata), I would suggest continuing to use your group’s living FAQ document. You guys will probably want to update that file as soon as you can after the official updates go live.
On that note, the second point is that you will notice that some of the official answers are different to those that you guys had agreed upon (not many, I hasten to add, but a few). Though obviously not all of you will agree to these changes, they will be official, and therefore implemented at all GW-run events – I would therefore suggest getting used to them!
Enjoy!

Interesting - do you have a link to the 'community Faq'?

Who is Simon Grant? Nice to know they are still listening to the fan base... Are there still GW run Hobbit events???

Cheers
Scott

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:12 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Scott, you are basically correct, as sithious has said. Technically he shouldn't, but it would be silly to disallow it.

On another point, technically, the heroic combat is outside the usual fight phase. The mini rulebook states that you resolve heroic combats before the fight phase (but then obviously has heroic combat listed as a heroic action in the fight phase). This is basically the reason it is permitted to benefit from both, even though again it is contradictory.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:37 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Hodush wrote:
On another point, technically, the heroic combat is outside the usual fight phase. The mini rulebook states that you resolve heroic combats before the fight phase (but then obviously has heroic combat listed as a heroic action in the fight phase). This is basically the reason it is permitted to benefit from both, even though again it is contradictory.

Assuming the mini-rulebook is the same as the Hardback rulebook this isn't correct. It simply states that Heroic Combats are resolved first, not 'before' the Fight phase - they are very much part of the Fight phase.

As for the original question, it is a direct contradiction between the rulebook and the FAQ and something we were keen to sort out for the Community FAQ.

However, in a slight correction to Southy's post above, for the Community FAQ we ruled that a hero could BENEFIT from more than one Heroic Action per phase but could only CALL one per phase.

This seems to be most in keeping with the intention of the rules, it allows the FAQ ruling to stand as well as preventing stupid situations like a wizard Heroic Channelling within 6" of a Heroic Move and either wasting his Might point or being unable to move for the turn - both of which seem counter intuitive.

As Southy says though, new FAQs are on their way soon so hopefully it will be soon be officially clarified.

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:18 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Dr Grant wrote:

However, in a slight correction to Southy's post above, for the Community FAQ we ruled that a hero could BENEFIT from more than one Heroic Action per phase but could only CALL one per phase.

This seems to be most in keeping with the intention of the rules, it allows the FAQ ruling to stand as well as preventing stupid situations like a wizard Heroic Channelling within 6" of a Heroic Move and either wasting his Might point or being unable to move for the turn - both of which seem counter intuitive.

As Southy says though, new FAQs are on their way soon so hopefully it will be soon be officially clarified.

I like what you propose...

Must admit I often wondered if what they really meant was that a hero couldn't benefit from multiples of the SAME Heroic Action twice or more in one PHASE... stopping you moving with one heroic move, then moving with another...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:50 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

jscottbowman wrote:
Must admit I often wondered if what they really meant was that a hero couldn't benefit from multiples of the SAME Heroic Action twice or more in one PHASE... stopping you moving with one heroic move, then moving with another...

Personally I think that's exactly what they meant - you can't fight 3 times by being involved in two Heroic Combats, you can't boost your Fight value twice with 2 Heroic Strikes etc.

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:20 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Ah yes cheers Dr G, that is indeed what I meant.

Simon Grant is the fellow at GW who writes all the FAQ's and helps run Throne of Skulls. He is a nice fellow, pretty sure he has featured in WD quite a few times over the years.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:13 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I agree with you Scott and Dr G, I think they were just trying to say you can't do the same heroic action more than once per phase.

Dr G, "When a Hero calls a Heroic Combat, the fight that he is involved in is resolved first... [if all enemies are slain they] may move again before proceeding with the Fight phase".
Proceeding being the key word, and just "proceeding with" not "proceeding with he rest of". At the very least, this is a reasonable way of explaining why someone can benefit from the heroic combat and heroic strike in the same round without having to get into the spirit of the rule debates.

We are all agreeing on the same end result though, so it doesn't particularly matter.