All times are UTC

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 11:31 pm

Post subject: A few questions about legendary formations.
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 3:02 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I was just looking through the rulebook today and I noticed that none of the legendary formations had any epic actions. This seemed a bit odd as Erkenbrand usually has epic charge but when he is in Erkenbrand's riders than he dosen't have any epic actions at all. Also, I was wondering if in the legendary formations' point cost does the original cost include the first company?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 3:40 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Heroes in Legendary formations do not get to use any Epic Actions they might otherwise have. So, in your example Erkenbrand can't call an Epic Charge if you're fielding him as Erkenbrand's Riders, even though you can if you're using him as an Epic Hero.

The points cost for Legendary formations does include the first company, this was stated in the WotR FAQ that was released a few weeks ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 3:40 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Legendary Formations benefit from NONE of the bonuses of their Epic Hero counterparts. So, Erkenbrand gets none of his special rules and Epic Actions, except for Bold Beyond Belief (because it is put under the Legendary Formation profile).

As to your second question, the FAQ that came out a few weekends ago has said that the first price includes everything for the first company, including hero and any other "upgrades" (such as banner bearer). You then have to buy second, third, fourth, etc companies and other options (E.G. Hornblower) at the second (or shown, in the case of Hornblower etc) cost.

E.G.

Legendary Unit = 125+35 points, has Jimmy the Uber and Banner Bearer. Option for Shields at +5 points/company. Special Rule: Pass All Terror Tests.

3 companies, with shields, would cost 125+35+35+5+5+5 or 130+40+40, which is 210 points.

Jimmy the Uber (Hero), comes with Pass All Terror, Causes Terror and gives +1S to his unit.

The Legendary Formation wouldn't get "Causes Terror and +1S" though.
Hope that makes sense!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:44 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Location: Peterborough/Sheffield (Depends on the Time of Year!)
Could someone please point me to where in the FAQ it states that the first company is included in the first cost, because I cannot seem to find it. Thanks.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:39 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Here's the FAQ:
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/conte ... 5a&start=2

You probably can't find it because it wasn't said so in the FAQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:41 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I can't find it either.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:57 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

My apologies, I remembered the source incorrectly. It was actually somebody had posted that they had e-mailed the "Rulesboyz" and got a response stating that the first cost includes the first company.

A lot of people then just said "It's not official" and essentially just said that asking GW for rules clarifications is fine, but their answers are wrong and they wouldn't listen (which seems odd to me).

So, you can either take it from the rulesboys or intepret as you please, lol.

Again, sorry for citing the wrong source (I read the FAQ and that post at about the same time).
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 2:09 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Regarding the ruling, it was a mistake (as clarified by many showing the basic math and examples in GW's own rules and battle reports). If you want to use that email as a justification then go ahead but most players will not allow a list built off of that as it would be overpowered for the points.

The base cost of a Legendary Formation gets you the Heroes, plus any Banner/Horn/Drummer/etc., plus any special rules. You still need to pay the per-company cost for each Company, including the first (Command). Sharku's example in the WotR core rules adds up like this as does the example forces in the GW battlereports.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:41 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Beowulf03809 wrote:
Regarding the ruling, it was a mistake (as clarified by many showing the basic math and examples in GW's own rules and battle reports). If you want to use that email as a justification then go ahead but most players will not allow a list built off of that as it would be overpowered for the points.

This.
Hashut's Blessing wrote:
A lot of people then just said "It's not official" and essentially just said that asking GW for rules clarifications is fine, but their answers are wrong and they wouldn't listen (which seems odd to me).

So, you can either take it from the rulesboys or intepret as you please, lol.

Not that.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:57 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I was told by a member of the design studio who play tested WotR that the base points cost does not include the first company.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:04 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Initially I thought the points cost for Legendary formaitions included the first company, but I've changed my mind. If you calculate how much a point of Might, extra Fight, etc. normally costs it works out so you have to buy the company too.