All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:24 am

Post subject: Epic Cowardice
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:51 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

in what order should epic and heroic actions taken if they should be called at the same time?

the scenario that occurs in my game is that Durburz formation charged a dwarf formation then Balin declared a Heroic Duel at the beginning of Fight phase, now Dururz can call an Epic Cowardice at the same time so which one overrides? especially that Heroic Duel rule states that when it's declared no Hero can back down.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:29 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Sadly, the FAQ did not clarify timing issues. My opinion is that Epic Cowardice is intended to allow a hero to avoid a duel. Thus regardless of the order of the actions, if a hero calls epic cowardice then he can escape the duel. Epic Challenge seems to be the way to pin down heroes with Epic Cowardice, as it specifically states that the hero cannot leave the formation.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 9:28 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Ok, only Heroic Actions are rolled off (the system doesn't work any other way) Also, play of abilities like you do in a game of cards with the 'last card' being the one that takes president. Epic Cowardice is a special rule available to just a few heroes and so should be allowed to go ahead, it's what its there for.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:29 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I would go with hithero's ruling on this one. Last card trumps style.

Precedence: Heroic Duel, Epic Strike in retaliation.

I can't remember what the rule itself does, but it seems logical that Epic Cowardice is for avoiding Heroic Duels, otherwise they're not that epic at being a coward, lol :D
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:11 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I don't think that epic cowardice can be called after the heroic duel is called epic cowardice must be called before any fights begin and a heroic duel must be called when you are fighting with the formation.

And the use for it is that you can run if you are charged in the rear or something and you are sure that your formation wil be wiped out.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:15 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

hero of gondor wrote:
I don't think that epic cowardice can be called after the heroic duel is called epic cowardice must be called before any fights begin and a heroic duel must be called when you are fighting with the formation.

And the use for it is that you can run if you are charged in the rear or something and you are sure that your formation wil be wiped out.

This.

If you are about to be charged by a formation containing some uber epic strike chap, then you either get out of dodge using Epic Cowardice, or you sit there hoping they are too stupid to slay the hero with epic cowardice during a heroic duel.

Epic cowardice is a preemptive measure used prior to the formation fighting.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:38 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

...and this is why you need to follow one rule to cover all situations and not discuss everytime abilities conflict - see previous posts.