All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:07 pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 2:20 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

After reading through this thread I think I am a little confused. The following diagram is how I move formations (single company formation in this case), which could not be the right way of course so please correct me if I'm wrong.

First I'd like to say that the way I read the rules is that both charge and movement in a single movement turn should be in a straight line. meaning any distance moved in a single turn is fully measured in a straight line from initial to target position and no arch measurement or changing direction is used.

- top left diagram: the first movement is simple enough. always move in straight line, change facing as I like as long as: (1) no corner is moved beyond movement allowance. (2) my formation straight line movement doesn't cut through any friend or foe formation. The way of measuring in the rulebook (red line) is just for indication as hithero mentioned and not what I use. the corner that moved the furthest here is the bottom right corner of the formation so I measure using a straight line from initial to target position (green line).

- top right diagram: the second diagram is little bit different. there is difficult terrain in the way and some corners (red circled for instance) are bound to cut through it (blue line). again no arch movement just strainght line movement. ok, no problem just move the same way and double the distance moved on through difficult terrain.

- bottom diagram: now let's assume that the terrain is an occupied defensible terrain, or even an impassable feature. this way I have to go around it, but again in multiple straight lines (multiple turns). Means I can't do it in a single turn, but in multiple straight lines (turns) around the feature to reach the position I want. First turn I move around it and to the right. the next turn I move into position and also in a straight line.

the bottom line here is that I don't move around an obstacle in a single turn (in angle or arch way) even if the furthest distance moved over the span of the two turns sums up to less than formation's movement allowance. I just assume it was spent in the maneuver and stick to moving in a straight line in each single movement turn. This is how I play it so far and hope the diagram is clear enough so please let me know what you think and if I should change anything and hope I didn't confuse anyone.

I'd appreciate your comments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:47 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

You don't need to move in a straight line though. In your 3rd example you could measure the top left corner as around the impassables terrain perimeter, it will probably still take 2 turns to move the company but will allow it to move a little further. The bottom right corner would be measured as you have shown.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:55 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I didn't read the explanations of the diagrams because they seemed fairly self explanatory. Yes, you measure the lines as straight as in your examples, but the act of the base turning is a wheel/arc/turn or whatever else you'd like to call it and that's what myself and hithero (I believe he's getting at the same thing ;) ) are trying to say. That although the measurements may not be a wheel or whatever (although it is better to measure them in that way), the actual physical models DO wheel/turn/arc round.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:59 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thanks guys!

hithero wrote:
You don't need to move in a straight line though.

thanks for clearing things up, I guess my initial assumption was incorrect and angled/arc movement is allowed then. that makes more sense.

just one thing, in the 3rd example I understand now corners (including top left) can move in arc ways tracing around the terrain but measurement should be using bottom right corner not top left as outer arc will be longer so better watch it out not to exceed movement limit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:25 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The size of the arc for either of the right hand corners (when turning left) should be the same distance travelled, otherwise the base's shape would change ;) The arcs will be different angles though.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:43 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

As far as I can remember, Swoop Attack and Mumuk movement are the only things that specify straight line movement in WotR.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:48 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Beowulf: Even so, you need to be able to SEE the target to charge it ;) The fliers are simply allowed to move "as the raven flies", which means that they are more likely to reach their chargee, compared to all other troop types, which would have to go around the formations/terrain interposing.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:01 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Agreed. I was just commenting on the message above saying they were thinking in terms of "turn then move" (part of the whole "wheel" discussion which I'm avoiding with a 10' Uruk Pike). :)

http://TacticsInMiniature.com