All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:51 am

Post subject: Goblin movement and jumping.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:19 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Sorry for the newbishness, my brother and I play with goblins vs. warriors of minas tirith just against each other, but we'd like to get the rules right!

One possibly stupid question =(

If the rocky terrain is less than twice the height of the model across, can I just jump over the rocky terrain?

eg.

1. Durburz the Goblin King (about an inch tall) has two inches of rubble between him and a mighty Captain of Minas Tirith. He has already moved 3 inches of his 5 inches of movement for the turn.

If it was a 2 inch chasm between them he would be able to leap over the gap to clash blades with the plucky human. Can he not leap over the rubble to send spittle flying in the man's face?

Or further to that...

2. Durburz the Goblin King is faced with two chasms, each an inch apart in a row from where he currently stands. Can he jump the first, move an inch to the second, then jump the second? ie. jump twice in one turn as long as the total distance travelled (including the chasms) is less than 5 inches?

Or...

3. Durburz the Goblin King is an inch away from a large patch of rubble. Can he move one inch, jump two inches (three inches of normal speed) then move one more inch (half speed of the two inches he's got left)?

I guess we've been looking at the goblins skittering and climbing, and leaping chaotically around. I even went and got the big hardcover rule book to see if it was more specific on movement. It doesn't seem to say that you can only jump once per turn. But it also has jumping as not a movement type really, but rather only describes jumping for leaping a tall obstacle or a gap. We just extrapolated that to being able to jump. eg. my brother's courageous Warriors of Minas Tirith can also jump when they get to the difficult terrain, but unless they roll a 6 they are stuck where they land.

As I said, we've only played against each other, so don't have the valuable benefit of having played in tournaments and what-not where I guess you kind of sort these things out!

Thank goodness for these forums! We do want to play properly so if we get the courage up to travel somewhere to play against others we won't look like country hicks!

Again, thanks for your time and patience!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:23 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Maybe I am wrong, but for distances greater than the goblin's height, I always thought that they would not be able to continue their move. They always count as if they have rolled a 6, but the -1 penalty would mean a 5 on the jump chart.

As for jumping, there is no limit to the number of times you can jump in one turn, except of course the movement limit itself. Also, if the rubble isn't too high (which by the sounds of things it isn't), then the goblin should be able to jump over it.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:35 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

In 3. he cannot jump as the obstacle as a whole is more then twice his height. However, if it is classified as difficult terrain I do not believe you can jump across it as you can only jump across objects considered obstacles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:59 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thanks for the help!

So basically jumping has nothing to do with what we would term jumping, you can't just jump anywhere, only over an obstacle or over a chasm/between buildings?

I get that jumping *into* rough terrain probably isn't a good idea when you think of it. Jumping into a swamp might mean you end up stuck in the mud! Jumping into rocky terrain might mean a twisted ankle.

I think for home games we're just going to play that you can jump over a rough terrain patch as long as it's less than twice your height wide. I can't see any reason why it would be different from jumping over a gap in the ground or over the top of a hedge.

We don't have lots of scenery at the moment, but I'm sure as we get more the rough terrain will get bigger and the question will resolve itself that way!

Thanks for the points of view, really is helpful to be able to ask dumb questions here!