All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:35 am

Post subject: WoTR Legendary formations and Blessing of the Valar
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:01 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Do you think such formations as The fellowship of the ring, the white council, and the council of wizardry, if after losing some of there members in combat, may cast Blessing of the Valar and replenish there numbers, in effect bringing back epic heros? Now before someone starts screaming power gamer and the alike. I had never thought of this tactic till I read about someone using this somewhere here on these forums I was just wonding, if you thought this was legal, and if you feel it is a loop hole or if you think this is what they intended.

Sildien

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:40 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I looked in my back, but it says D3 casualties.
So I presume that some heroes can come back.

Also, I searched the epic hero section, but I have found nothing about magical powers not working on them etc.

But keep in mind, that it has to be a formation like white council, fellowship. Because you can't have 2 epic heroes in a normal formation. (obviously)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:50 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Well there is no exception to the rule in their profile, would pretty much mean these groups would never die though.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:17 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Imrail: there can be more epic Heroes in a command company only not more than normal warriors. So in a normal infantry company there can be 4 epic heroes if you want.

About the question of Sildien: That's the reason why some magic casters cost so many points and that is why Blessing of the Valar got a focus of 6.
If you play with the fellowship of the ring you can bring back D3 casualties but then you can't use any more magic. And if you want to use Blessing of the valar as last spell you got a risk of not getting the needed Focus rolls of the spells before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:22 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

It's not imposible if you throw 6 you may cast further and the point of the thread is may you cast blessing of the valar on a formation like the fellowship. Yes because there is nothing in the rulebook that's say you may not do that.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:27 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

the trick with these formations is:
kill so much of them in one turn so that they don't fully recover, and keep doing that untill they're dead

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:39 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

That helps me with the ethical use of this, The whole group has say a mastery lvl of 8, for the white council lets say, I was under the impresion that each got to cast two spell but instead they get a total of 8 chances if all the focus rolls are met. So you might get one spell off a game if you roll poorly, or any number up to 8, this helps me with my feeling that this tactic is way over powered. I was under the impression that each person got to cast 2 spell so if the others failed you could always get it off with the last one.

Sildien

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:02 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

And since they are not treated as individual spell casters you can't cast the same spell multiple times in a turn. That's something easily overlooked. Even with Mastery 8 you may have a hard time coming up with that many usable spells... :?

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:52 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

So you could bring one or two of the the"3 hunters" back with the Blessing of the Valar ?
Sounds good to me as I have just finished painting my mounted Gandalf and he's ready to go :)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:47 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Don't think you can the three hunters think is is casters formation only and the hunters stand alone!

Sildien

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:27 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Ah yes , you are correct , good point , I got carried away :roll: