All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:16 am

Post subject: Two handed weapons and shields/horses
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:05 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hello,

I have some questions about two handed weapons/shields and horses.

1) If I have a model with elven blade and shield, can I get the benefit of the shield against shooting, but the benefit of the blade in close combat (so no shield defence or shielding rule in close combat)?

2) Can I use elven blades as two-handed weapons if the model is mounted? Could I give the same model a shield and get the bonus defence against shooting, but not in close combat

Hopefully that makes sense, let me know if not.
 Post subject: Re: Two handed weapons and shields/horses
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:53 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I would say yes to both but that is just how I read it. Past versions of the rules may have forbidden a model to posses both a shield and a two-handed weapon at the same time. I would certainly say that answering no would still be the prevailing interpretation of the current rules. But as written the rules say 'use' not have, or be equipped with, or carry. Two-handed weapons "may not use a shield at the same time... although they may still carry other items" can be read as in both way I think. If one focuses on the first part of the quote with focus on "use" and "at the same time" the it would seem that what you have described is not only possible but extendable to choosing either shield and sword or two-handed each fight phase in the same manner in which one choices special strikes. If one focuses on the wording in the second part, however, they might notice that the text says "other items." Which could be read to imply that shields are exempt from this and can not be carried with a two-handed weapon. Thus, the answer to your question would be no by the second interpretation. What it comes down to is, I think, how you define the word 'use' in this context. Upon that hinges both arguments and the answer to both of your questions.

Perhaps we could get a second opinion here?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:13 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks for the reply!

So to clarify:

Currently, the rules read as 'yes'.

But people are likely to say 'no'?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:18 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

With the Hobbit, Shields, bow and two-handed weapon can be equipped all at once. The question is resolved under the "Shield" description in the rulebook (I am using the one from goblintown starter set)

-a model with pike, bow, crossbow, and/or two handed weapon can equip a shield but does not gain a defense bonus from it. There is no bonus "against shooting" (the only model whose defence change against shooting is the corsair armbalester). Basically, the rules say that having a shield and other equipment that requires two hands is too cumbersome to be effective. Said model will still be able to shield in combat, rolling twice his dice.

-If a model has a shield and an elven blade he gains both the +1D and the bonus at the roll-off in close combat, but he cannot use the weapon with both hands.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:05 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Ah, I was remembering not another edition but another section of the rules. Thank you for clearing that up Dikey.