All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:12 pm

Post subject: Regarding the SBG rules.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:38 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Is it worth buying previous editions of the LOTR SBG rules and supplements??
Do they contain better scenarios or more interesting rules? Or should i simply stick to the currently released rule set and not bother, im still very new to the game atm. But wanted to ask more experienced players if im missing a trick?

Many Thanks :boromir
 Post subject: Re: Regarding the SBG rules.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:46 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hi Beregond!

No, I would not advise to buy previous editions of the SBG rules. The rules haven't changed much, but are more streamlined and generally better in the newest edition.

As for supplements, you could still buy those for the scenarios or terrain making tips (if they contained those). Because the rules haven't changed much, most scenarios are still fun to play using the new rules. That's what I'm doing when playing through the scenarios in the old Battle Games in Middle-earth magazines.

However, I do think pretty much all previous supplements will be revamped and re-released at some point. For example we have already received a new Scouring of the Shire book and will soon be getting the Quest of the Ringbearer, which will probably supersede the old Journey books. But it may still be fun and worthwhile to play through the old books. Especially if you like the setting of those books. But if I were just getting into the game, I'd probably start with the current edition and books. I can't yet comment on the quality of the new scenarios, but at least in terms of quantity the new books can't be beat.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:19 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

They're putting out so many new supplements at the moment (Gondor at War, Scouring of the Shire, War in Rohan, Quest of the Ringbearer, with more on the way) that you wouldn't be short of material just collecting the "current" books.

You might find some of the old supplements, the War of the Ring massed-battle rules, or the Battle Games in Middle Earth magazine cheap on ebay or in a charity shop somewhere, or lurking half-price at the back of a games-shop. If you like scenarios or looking at photos for painting inspiration could be a good purchase. I'm sure you could adapt most of the old scenarios to the new rules.

If you want to get into tournament play, watch out for this one coming back: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Mi ... ok-EN-2020
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:39 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I think the old books can be worthwhile for the scenarios if you can find them cheaply enough. A Shadow in the East and Fall of the Necromancer haven't really been replaced yet, and even the old Scouring of the Shire has a scenario or two not in the new book.

I don't think it's worth paying inflated prices -- I've seen some folks hawking the (apparently rare) old Return of the King journey book for hundreds of dollars -- but, again, if you can find them cheaply enough by your definition of "cheap", they can be worthwhile.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:53 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

If you are looking for aesthetical inspiration, scenario inspiration, lore descriptions or such, buying an obsolete rule book might not be such a bad idea. For example, Easterlings or Khand do not currently have a supplement, so if you are deeply into them you might actually benefit from getting yourself the A Shadow in the East supplement. I would however not buy an obsolete rule book merely for getting the outdated rules. The obsolete rules are after all not accepted as valid any more.