All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:45 pm

Post subject: Pikes and prone models
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:32 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

1- a horse charges a unit with a supporting pike and wins. Does both foot units be knocked to the ground or just the units in base with the horse?

2- can a prone unit be supported by a pike unit?
 Post subject: Re: Pikes and prone models
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:13 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

That is a great question.

I have tried to decide what my wife and I would rule on that if it happened in one of our games.

By saying pike instead of spear I take it you mean an infantry model charged by cavalry with not just one unit in support, which would Make Way, but a second model in support that can not also Make Way (exception being Easterlings using Phalanx rule).

We figured this would make the first model prone and therefore trapped but the other two? No idea. I think I would roll D6 for each and on a 1-3 the supporting models that can not Make Way are knocked prone.

However, my wife and I are hardly rules experts. Maybe one of the experienced tournament players will have a better interpretation.

As for the second part of the question, I believe a prone model could be supported. However I do not think prone (trapped) models can make strikes when they participate in fights. They can contribute to duel rolls to see who wins the fight if I understand the rules correctly on page 45.

Post subject: Re: Pikes and prone models
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:49 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

1 - Only the foot model in base contact with the mounted model is knocked prone. There are no scenarios where a spear supporting model or a pike supporting model are knocked prone. Same applies to a model with a pike supporting and then a 2nd pike supporting him. Again, only the original model in base contact is knocked prone.

2 - a prone unit can be supported by a spear or by a pike or by a pike and a 2nd pike. But if the prone model's side wins the fight, he may not may strikes, as only the spear or pike(s) may make strikes.