All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:57 pm

Post subject: Rohan armoured horses?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:18 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hello again friends,

Been a while. Getting back in to the hobby, and just ordered the new boxed starter set, and I figure I also need the LotR Armies book and probably the Rohan book too.

Looking over my old Rohan miniatures, I noticed a few unfinished conversions for armoured horses.
Which types of Rohan models can have armoured horses now? If I recall, it was Sons of Eorl and one or two named characters. Is that all? What about captains?

Thanks.
Just trying to throw some paint and putty around between now and when I get new toys and books.

(ed: spell)
 Post subject: Re: Rohan armoured horses?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:51 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Oh yeah, I heard that in some lists Rohan infantry can use their throwing spears as support spears. Which ones are they? Is that only in the Rohan book?

Thanks.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:10 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Something Wicked wrote:
Oh yeah, I heard that in some lists Rohan infantry can use their throwing spears as support spears. Which ones are they? Is that only in the Rohan book?

Thanks.

Yes, at the moment I think that is limited to specific lists in the Rohan book. However, I haven’t been through the new FAQ in detail yet

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:10 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Is there an Faq which changes things in a big way already?

I understand I need the army book and the rohan book, but until I get those, I'm wondering which of my new and old models can have armoured horses, and whether to even consider putting effort into painting spare infantry throwing spear models.

It could be a few weeks until I get books beyond the pellenor rules, and I'm trying to prioritize hobby time.

Thanks.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:11 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The only Rohan guys that can get armored horses are the Sons of Eorl, Eorl the Young, Theoden, Eomer (I believe he still can) and Helm.

The throwing spears as support thing is a special rule that comes with using a couple of the legion army lists from the new Rohan book. Theodred's guard, Defenders of Helm's Deep and the host of Helm Hammerhand are the only ones that get it I think.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:24 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I'm delighted that Helm's Deep defenders are one of the Legions which get spear support. Will put some infantry guys in the painting schedule.

So, the main use for armoured horses would be as converted stand-ins for named characters until I acquire them... and then later, trying to convert Sons of Eorl... or even using them for a different army entirely. So I guess I won't make more. Thanks for solving this for me.