All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:22 pm

Post subject: Newbie Questions by a newbie player
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:53 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hello everyone,

I am very new to lord of the rings war games but I am also very exited to start. However, I feel kinda confused and I really do not know where to start from.
First of all, I am interested in making my own terrain and purchase miniatures from ebay or amazon. My main concern is to build it up, paint all miniatures, make the sceneries and put it somewhere in my house where I will be able to see it and enjoy playing with it sometimes with my friends. I currently have the War of Ring game purchased but it's not so eye realistic and that's why I am looking to start over something new.

My questions are:
1) Where to buy miniatures from? I need all miniatures for Lord of the Rings. Every army, every hero. I was thinking to purchase THIS but I am not sure if that's the best choice since we are in 2018 and this series is like 10 years ago. Does it worth it or shall I work with War of Ring miniatures?

2) Where to buy the map + sceneries from or how to build them myself step by step? I'd prefer the 1st option since I am very new to modeling and I don't feel safe building them by my own.

3) Where to find rules? just in case I wanna play the game besides watching it standing in my house. Can I play the game using the War of Rings rules and will I be able to play the way I want it by using another book as well?

4) Which paint tools and colors shall I purchase to start working?

5) What else do I need to learn/read/purchase?

Thank you all!
 Post subject: Re: Newbie Questions by a newbie player
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:40 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Okay, I am guessing English might be your first language so I apologize if there is some confusion in my reading of your questions but I will try to answer them as best I can.

1) You can get miniatures in three ways a) buy them new from Games Workshop's website, b) buy them from ebay, c) buy or trade them from someone who has them locally. You can not buy all the models even produced new anymore and it would take many years of careful searching, plus a lot of money, to buy every one of them secondhand now. But you can likely find most of the stuff for dioramas on ebay or the GW store still.

2) You can not really buy them anywhere. Games Workshop has released some terrain pieces but no full tables. You will have to buy the old and out of print source books for most of this however. You can also dig around online to find the building instructions for most the things that exist as well. There are some detailed instructions to be found if you can get the proper books. You could always pay a terrain maker to build whatever you'd like if you would rather not do it yourself. There are some really exceptional people to be found in online searches.

3) You can find the rules on the Games Workshop website. These are titled as being hobbit rules but the game system is the same. I am not sure what you mean by War of the Ring rules. A couple of things have that name so you'll have to tell us who made the rules you have got and how you want to play.

4) That depends on what you want to do and how much you want to spend. You could go with the Games Workshop line of paints but Army Builders also has a nice line as I understand it. You'll need a basic color pallet (blue, green, black, white etc.) and some metallic colors to start with.

5) I recommend checking Youtube to find information about the gaming system and how the game is played. There are a number of battle reports, army displays, and terrain making guides to be found that should help you come to grips with everything. I also recommend looking threw the sites 'work in progress' section to see what other people have done in the past with dioramas and so forth.

Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:23 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hello again, and thank you for taking time to reply.
Regarding the War of Ring game, here it is:

Also it contains these miniatures:

This game has an amazing rule book and a complicated but nice gameplay, and I was thinking of purchasing miniatures and hire a terrain maker to make my terrain as well.

My main concert right now is this:
Should I buy other miniatures like the ones from the Deagostini series (I posted on my first post), or they will be pretty much same quality as the ones I have now? In other words, should I keep the miniatures that War of Ring games has and just purchase the miniatures that War of Ring game not contain or shall I search for better miniatures (by better I mean higher details) and replace the ones I have now as well?

Also regarding colors and tools, I am not sure which paint colors to purchase since I do not want to miss any color and I wanna paint each miniature with the higher quality I can. Is there any color pack you suggest me buying?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:15 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Your goal is a noble one, and one many of us aspire to but, unfortunately, at this point, some miniatures are just so rare that they sell for huge prices - if they are even on the market at all, that is.

The War of the Ring use literally the same models, it's like using 8 times as many chess pieces on a War of the chess board. Same pieces but a bigger scale of battle - so they are 100% compatible.

1) That magazine does not have every model, nor even every army - even when it was current a lot of things were skipped over. Your best bet will be to find second-hand miniatures (which often go for much, much less than their new RRP) and build up. I would recommend starting with a few factions you love and working up from there. Don't fall into the trap I did and buy too much at once! Take it from a hypocrite, you don't want to end up with endless mounds of plastic troops sitting forgotten in boxes

2) The terrain for battles is pretty much an ad hoc thing. A lot of game clubs will have public use terrain - though that will obviously not help you much in your own house! If you check out your second-hand websites - in Australia we tend to use gumtree - you can sometimes see wargaming tables going but you'll be limited by geography as postage would be prohibitive. Gaming mats are a viable alternative but there is no 'official' source for these for LotR, so it's just a matter of googling them and finding the ones that suit your eye the most.

Scenarios are in all of the books to an extent, if you're referring to scenarios as in 'chance encounters' or random battles such as king of the hill, to the death etc they will be with the main rulebook. If you mean like the scenarios for Helms Deep, or the siege of Minas Tirith - those are in out of production sourcebooks though many scenarios are in the old rulebooks -which can be bought for cheap usually.

3) War of the Ring is for a very big scale battle, the smaller and more popular game is the strategy battle game - the rules for which are currently in "the Hobbit: an unexpected journey" Please know that the new rules manual for the game, which will supercede these rules, is slated for release about midway this year.

4) Depends on faction and if you want to be a Games Workshop (the manufacturer of these models) purist. I myself use Vallejo and like them, but the Reaper, War Colours, Citadel and P3 ranges are all good paint sets. For brushes, I would recommend making sure that whatever brand you get - the hairs are sable-kolinsky

5) I'd recommend the GBHL and DCHL channels on youtube. Get a feel for the game and then invest in a faction you're passionate about. Rewatch the films and get your passions fired up. Make a Howard Shore playlist!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:45 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Wait a minute here. Are you simply intending to replace the miniatures you have with ones from another system so that you can play the War of the Ring game you have or are you trying to build displays and are currently planning to use the miniatures?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:10 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Have you seen the Anniversary Edition? It's already painted.

http://www.aresgames.eu/14924
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:12 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

And I don't think the base sizes of the Games Workshop figures would work for the War of the Ring game board. The bases are too big for that.