All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:46 pm

Post subject: Looking to start. I own two hobbit eagles...
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:40 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hey guys, im looking for some advice on how to get started in this game. I currently own two eagles and I'm hoping to expand from there. After looking through the model range I really like the look of the Mirkwood elves.

My question is, how could I combine the elves and eagles to make a competitive force? Can it be done?

Some tips on a 500 point starter army would be great. Thanks.

Staks
 Post subject: Re: Looking to start. I own two hobbit eagles...
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:27 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Its too tough in my opinion to make a 500 point list with Eagles and Elves.

If you take basic elven captains maybe, but theyre not that great compared to named heroes.

Thranduil combined with wargear like the Elk is over 155 points together, and Eagles are almost 100 a piece. You need Gwahir first to lead them, who is Over 120 points.

Id make either a large force, put Eagles with cheaper troops, or something else. But with Gwahir and the type of heroes like Legolas and Thranduil its too costly. Youll have barely any troops.

Post subject: Re: Looking to start. I own two hobbit eagles...
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:18 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

It's not the easiest task to combine these, but there are certainly some ways in which it can be done.

In 500pts, a 125pt Gwaihir is quite the investment (I would use him from 600 onwards - second eagle probably at 800 or so). Elves are naturally low on numbers, and having a fairly expensive hero who himself cannot lead your troops (requiring another character) makes it tricky to fit enough in a list. Luckily, Mirkwood has two ways to counteract this a bit: 1) Rangers. They are particularly strong in combat when fighting outnumbered. 2) High quality troops. If you can dictate where the fight takes place, having a line of high defence, high fight value warriors is a tough thing to break through. I don't know which of the Mirkwoodians you saw attracted you most, but rangers with some spears to support them or full armoured warriors will do fine - Palace Guard are best when combined with Thranduil, who's a tad expensive to have in this list as well. That said, it would be interesting to see how Gwaihir, an eagle and Thranduil with a warband of palace guard would do - terribly low on numbers, but with 2 actual monsters and Thranduil who's quite a monster in combat himself you could do immense damage while the opponent has little to shut down three large threats.

Alternatively, you can chuck in some cheaper troops to get your numbers up. In theory, a group of woses (who can be led by Gwaihir) make ideal cheap spear support (although the list may change in the future). More thematically, you could make use of the old Wood Elves in their Lothlorien and Mirkwood list from the Free Peoples book. I have previously had both fun and success with this combination, albeit at 600pts:

Thranduil, King of Mirkwood (cheaper, spellcasting version)
8 Wood Elf Warriors with Wood Elf spear
3 Wood Elf Warriors with Elf bow, Wood Elf spear
1 Wood Elf Sentinel

Gwaihir

Legolas, Prince of Mirkwood with Elven Cloak
9 Mirkwood Rangers
2 Mirkwood Cavalry with Shield

The Rangers and Legolas give this small force plenty of shooting. With spear support, they are also more than capable of holding their own in combat. Thranduil's magic and the sentinel allow for some tricksy tactical options, while Gwaihir and the cavalry are great at taking objectives, and Gwaihir especially can deal and take a fair bit of damage.