All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:09 pm

Post subject: Elrond/Lindir, Hobbit+LOTR armies question
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:00 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hello,

Was wondering if anybody could help with a few quick questions:

(1) Can Lindir use his powers to restore will points to Elrond Lord of the West from the White Council army list if they are allied, or only to Elrond from the Rivendell list? (If a rule specifies a character, does it refer to all versions of that character?)

(2) Can you in a competition setting (eg. Ardacon or a GW event) ally Hobbit models with LOTR models ... for example Treebeard from LOTR with a Thranduil-Mirkwood army from Hobbit? Or, to be more extreme, could you go to a competition with a good alliance including Thorin with Aragorn? (I wouldn't do Thorin/Aragorn myself, as I prefer themed armies, but I could see something like Treebeard plus Mirkwood being thematic).

(3) Rules for GW events say the model must be 100% Games Workshop. Does anyone think they'd object to you using a scenic base from another company if the model on top is 100% GW?

Thank you for reading!
 Post subject: Re: Elrond/Lindir, Hobbit+LOTR armies question
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:19 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

1) In the case of Lindir, yes, his rule affects all versions of Elrond, as the rule only specifies "Elrond". Some other rules specify a particular version of a character; the Palace Guard from Thranduil's Halls for example only protect the Thranduil in their list, not the one from the Free Peoples book (who has another title).

2) Unless the tournament pack states otherwise (which on this topic they rarely do), you can ally any Lord of the Rings era warbands to any Hobbit era warbands. It's the same game (upcoming publications will start referring to it as Middle-earth SBG rather than any of these two seperately) and the different eras hardly preclude alliances, given that various characters are recurring or fairly timeless (either immortal or nameless heroes and warriors). Besides, Isildur allying with Aragorn is surely worse than having the latter fight alongside Thorin! Regardless, all are legal, the only rule being that Good can only ally with Good and Evil with Evil.

3) Even in GW-run events, bases are not counted as part of the figure, so feel free to use any other manufacturer's products for those. In fact, even the big boss in GW's Middle-earth team has some of his troops on third-party bases if I'm not mistaken!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:17 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thank you very much! Very helpful answers. And I think this lets me plan some warbands along the lines I wanted to ... (as well as use some bases that I bought!)
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:15 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Excellent, be sure to share some pictures when the project is starting to take shape!