All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:24 pm

Post subject: Taking on a new game.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:12 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hello all,
I am returning to gaming after a number of years and am also stepping away from the games I played back then to give the host of titles out there.
Want to really give SBG a go and want to keep my interest as involved as possible.
So I want to do a warband under the following criteria, a) Something I have a lot of interest in from the history of the game and b) Something that will be relatively quick to get out on the table paint wise.
So have decided to give Dead Men of Dunharrow a go.
SO what I need advice on is what I need to find all the info in.
I have the main rule book but does a list appear in any of the supplement army books? if so which one.
Have had some great advice on warband make up already but want to do as much of my own reading as possible.
Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 Post subject: Re: Taking on a new game.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:35 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I think the profiles will be in Kingdoms of Men sourcebook but I'm not sure because I don't have it so you might want someone to confirm this. There will probably be an army list in their for the Fiefdoms but there is a new concept army list in the Army List Rules PDF which is free but I don't have the link. The rules for general army composition will be in the main Hobbit Rulesbook.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:52 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The Army of the Dead are indeed found in the Kingdoms of Men book, Fiefdoms section. However, they are likely to become an independent army at some point in the future - in a few weeks time, a Throne of Skulls tournament will be held in Nottingham that uses a set of experimental rules, some of which will make it into a next edition of the various armylists. Among those is the following one, available when using a 'pure' army of that list:

The Dead of Dunharrow
Army Composition
This army may include: The King of the Dead; Warriors of the Dead and Riders of the Dead.
Army Bonus
“The Dead do not suffer the living to pass” - The King of the Dead gains the Harbinger of Evil special rule. Additionally, warbands from this Army List, that contain between 8 and 12 models, do not need a Hero to be the captain of the warband. Instead, one of the Warriors within the warband takes on the role of the warband’s captain for the purpose of deployment.

(Without this rule, warbands have to be led by another captain, and as no Captain of the Dead exists, it tends to ruin the theme a bit having to include Captains of Dol Amroth or the named Fiefdom heroes.) Worth noting that the next edition of the rules in the case of the Dead could be as soon as next year, as the first supplements to be released are to focus on the Battle of the Pelennor Fields (and Osgiliath). Depending on when you want to jump in the game, you may thus want to hold off purchasing the book just yet - although there is no reason not to get going on the models already!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:31 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks both for your good advice much appreciated.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:04 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Let me just say that the Riders of the Dead are still available on the GW website!

I almost got suckered into buying some on eBay that were charging more than what the official GW price was!