All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:16 pm

Post subject: Goblin town army need some help
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:02 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Need some help I will be creating a goblin town only army and am have some questions. First what book do i need to buy to see the point values for all of the troops. Second are the goblin mercenaries part of goblin town?? And third could someone create me one 1000 point list so that I know what to buy thanks (with mercenaries and one without). And lastly how viable is this army against different armies? thanks
 Post subject: Re: Goblin town army need some help
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:06 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

pump
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:41 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

1)You will find the Goblin Mercenaries and their Captains in the new book "There and Back again". Other Goblins from Goblintown are in the The Hobbit Rulebook or the PDF "Heroes and Villains of Middle-earth", that should still be online.

2)yes, Goblin mercenaries are in the same army list as goblin town.

3)it depends. Do you want a 1000 pts pure list? Because that's A LOT of Goblins. Moria is usually a good partner, because of the shamans and Drummers.

4)It's a horde with very low defence, low courage, low fight value and no ranged option aside the King throwing a fellow goblin. That means that goblins are gonna die by the dozen. Yet, it's a horde so big that will outnumber most armies at least 3 times over with their army list special rule that allows Goblin Heroes to lead 18 Goblins rather than 12. It's all about getting as many goblins as possible into base contact with the enemy because even heroes like Gil-Galad will not roll a 6 every turn (However, doing this on Thranduil and/or Tauriel will backfire badly). They have access to picks and since their defence is low from the start, a piercing strike will not damage them very much if they lose so even D6 enemies are not a problem. In a game where you win by taking objective they are pretty much a nightmare to deal with.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:48 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I've also been looking at this army of recent, with the new rules, high numbers and the ability to ally with the trolls and still benefit from both army rules is a bonus (currently with the GoT rule pack anyway). Here's a sample list:

Warband 1
16/18
The Goblin King
8 Goblin Warrior with Two-handed axe;
8 Goblin Warrior ----

Warband 2 16/18
Grinnah
8 Goblin Warrior ----

Warband 3 16/18
The Goblin Scribe
8 Goblin Warrior ----

Warband 4
16/18
Goblin Captain
8 Goblin Warrior ----

Warband 5 7/18
Goblin Mercenary Captain
7 Goblin Mercenary ----

Warband 6 7/12
Goblin Mercenary Captain
7 Goblin Mercenary ----

Warband 7 0/0
Gollum ----

The Trolls ----

Warband 1
William (Bill); Campfire;
Bert ----

998pts 87models break 43 25% 21

This is still a high model count list, with monsters for some hitting power and Gollum and Bert to both counter high fight models to pair with bill or the goblin king. Another good idea is to throw in some denizens of mirkwood (bat swarms and spiders) or drop one of the trolls for a catapult to shoot into engaged combats and charge in a throw models down the line to pile into. I would recommend checking out the Green Dragon Podcast on soundcloud, their listener list request evil has some great insite into using goblin town and list building. ( https://soundcloud.com/the-green-dragon ... uests-evil )
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:17 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

the 3 Trolls are not part of the army. The Catapult trolls are.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:03 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

If you ally the Three Trolls with Goblin Town, the Trolls keep their Army Bonus but Goblin Town does not.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:18 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Just another thought to consider.... 1000 pt Goblin town list, even with a couple big allies, producing a 87 model count, would not likely be very fun to play against, as it would be a longgg game and the movement phase along would likely take a good 10 minutes per turn just to move 87 models....

I'd suggest either pure Goblintown at 500-600 pts, or if you want to go higher, then ally in several of the big stuff choices- Wraiths on Fell Beast, all 3 Trolls, multiple Cave Trolls from Moria, etc. .. you'll still have big numbers, but not so much as to create a 4-5 hour game spent mostly moving 80+ goblins around the board.

Just a suggestion....