All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:23 pm

Post subject: Advancing the game into RPG
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:55 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I recently bought Hobbit: Escape from Goblin Town and I'm in love with battle system and I wonder if it is possible to advance these rules into roleplaying game, like Warhammer became an RPG from a wargame, or Chainmail became OD&D. Do you know some official or unofficial conversions of the system?
 Post subject: Re: Advancing the game into RPG
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:30 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

They did something called battle companies back in the day that was RPG like but still kept the basic gameplay. You could have a look at that the start with up as for actual RPG's akin to D&D I don't think there is anything like that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:09 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Deja Vu

On Dakkadakka thekingofkings posted a link to Cubicle 7's One Ring RPG game, but if you are looking to make your own thing, don't reinvent the wheel. Just take bits and pieces from things you like. Or make the out-of-battle skills purely RP based, good role-players are able to accomplish more sort of thing.

(CE) Battle Companies 2016 Edition
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:41 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I stressed over this for a long time and concluded that everything is already there. SBG focuses on the d6 role. Everything in this game revolves around succeeding at a d6 roll. The harder it is, the higher the plus value. An easy skill is 2+ to succeed, and harder skills are 5+ or even a 6+, with 4+ being the average difficulty number.

In SBG, characters don't get "better" as the grow in xp, they accumulate more might. Might is a measure of the PC's skill level as it allows them to tip the odds into their favor.

I strongly recommend using Battle companies rules for making heroes then go forth and game. Might, Will and fate (or any stat which has depleted) have a chance to recover after each encounter (roll one die for each point lost and recover a point of something for every result of a 4+ during the post encounter recovery time). That last part is actually from the FOTR journey books, but translates very well to RPG recovery. This means a character doesn't actually die during encounters until after the attempt to recover.

One thing to keep in mind, the RPG would have to be very story focused, aka a rules light RPG, but yes SBG can easily translate over to RPGs and you don't have to invent a lot of new rules to make it happen.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:22 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Preach it brothah, some interesting stuff you're sharing.

(CE) Battle Companies 2016 Edition