All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:36 am

Post subject: Still worth getting Mines of Moria starter set?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:35 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hello!

So I just stumbled upon this strategy game and I would really like to get into this. However, I am not a big fan of the Hobbit genre and mainly interested in LotR. Therefore is still worth getting the Mines of Moria starter set? I can buy one for 45 EU, so that is nice I guess. Do I need the new rulebook from the Hobbit?

I would also like to start a dwarven army after painting and playing with the starter set. Any suggestions on what to get?

Cheers! :D
 Post subject: Re: Still worth getting Mines of Moria starter set?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:08 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

That depends on who you plan to play against. I advocate the purchase of the mines of moria set, it comes with the nine walkers plus some other cool stuff. It does include a rules manual with profiles. However, there have been changes to the game since the hobbit was released. Both games are compatible so I recommend buying either the MoM starter set or escape from goblin town.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:23 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks. I am not a fan of the Hobbit so I will not buy that starter set. If I want to play at first with some friends will the big blue rulebook suffice?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:52 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Definitely, the core rules are exactly the same as the Hobbit.

Also, the Mines of Moria set comes with the small blue rulebook that has all you need to play if you add one or more of the army sourcebooks.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:53 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

PS It's only really if you want to play outside your group or in a tournament that you would need to get hold of the Hobbit rules.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:15 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks then I will just get the big blue rule book!

Doubting to get Moria starter set or just start with an army. I mean if my friend a I both start an army we could basically fight each other.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:03 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The plus of that set is it comes with everything you need to start playing. Otherwise, buy the big blue book, the individual army sourcce books and start collecting. You'll be addicted before you know it.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:49 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

jdizzy001 wrote:
The plus of that set is it comes with everything you need to start playing. Otherwise, buy the big blue book, the individual army sourcce books and start collecting. You'll be addicted before you know it.

Does the big blue rule book have scenarios? Luckily I found several PDF's of the scenario books (Khazad Dum etc).
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:13 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The big blue book has a few generic scenarios. All of the thin army books have 6-8 scenarios in them. The little digest which comes with the Mines of Moria starter contain a few generic scenarios as well.

The big plus to the big blue book's scenarios is that they contain coastal raid scenarios with rules for capturing models. They are very cool and very useful.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:39 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Definately get the Mines of Moria, but be careful, it is a slippery slope you are getting on. :-) First the Fellowship and Goblins and a Cave Troll in the box, then more Dwarves, then .....

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:47 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hahaha I guess. Although I never painted before!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:57 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I think the MoM is a good deal. I play in the US and most of the folks I play with use the Blue Book (including me). For that matter, any of the original starters are good deals and all you need is just the rules from MoM if you do not mind searching around for profiles. Good luck with the world of Middle Earth gaming!

http://sfdfsfd.wordpress.com/
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:04 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I guess so! I know there is a rulebook in the MoM but I would like to get the big one for hobby tips aswell! :D
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:59 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Some good hobby tips in How to Paint Citadel Minis. I painted some rangers to match the paint guide and are extremely happy with them.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:07 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

GreatKhanArtist wrote:
Some good hobby tips in How to Paint Citadel Minis. I painted some rangers to match the paint guide and are extremely happy with them.

The current version on GW site?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:47 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

If you are going to build a goblin army, then MoM is definitely a great buy for a beginner. Or if you have friends who would like to play this MoM scenario, but no-one owns the box. Or maybe if you really want these heroes of fellowship.

Otherwise a hard shell rule book (which is much sturdier than MoM-rulebook) and a couple box of specified forces would probably be a much wiser bet in the long run. For example, if you are planning to go for an elf army or a dwarf army, one Legolas or Gimli won't be very cost-effective in this box. ^^
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:37 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Salattu wrote:
If you are going to build a goblin army, then MoM is definitely a great buy for a beginner. Or if you have friends who would like to play this MoM scenario, but no-one owns the box. Or maybe if you really want these heroes of fellowship.

Otherwise a hard shell rule book (which is much sturdier than MoM-rulebook) and a couple box of specified forces would probably be a much wiser bet in the long run. For example, if you are planning to go for an elf army or a dwarf army, one Legolas or Gimli won't be very cost-effective in this box. ^^

Thanks for the advice! While I like the idea of Mines of Moria, I will most certainly start my own dwarven army. Therefore I thought I could get a good match-up for dwarfs vs moria. But I guess in the meantime getting two armies in the beginning is quite expensive :D
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:02 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

MacCollac wrote:
GreatKhanArtist wrote:

The current version on GW site?

I recommend buying an older edition. An old edition can be picked up off of ebay for twenty dollars or less. Painting techniques remain the same, for the most part, across time. The names of the paint changes, but feathering, dry brush, wash, base coat, ink. Those phrases and techniques have been in use for some time. I would argue that older editions of how to paint citadel minis encourge the development of the participant in the honby where as newer editions cater to replicating what you see on the gw website using their products. Not that the end result is bad, it is just a shift in focus from the company.

Last edited by jdizzy001 on Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:46 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Good luck starting your LOTR?Hobbit SBG adventure! I started with a similar set and have really launched my collection. If you are just looking to play recreationally with friends or mix it up at a local GW with people who are non-competitive and just looking for fun, do not worry too much about your level and expertise of painting. Your first ones will probably be a disaster(mine were!!!!), but you will learn quickly from mistakes and learn tips and tricks that make it easier to do.

I am a big fan of dwarves. The only downside to them is a lack of cavalry pieces which is the biggest weakness to me. And they move a bit slow because of the 5'' movement. But otherwise they are a nice, stout little fighting force.

Good luck with your adventure and I hope you enjoy it and will continue to grow your collection and contribute to an awesome hobby!