All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:19 am

Post subject: Old member with a "Beginners" question.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:43 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hi gang. I've been a member here for many years but my interest has been more on the collecting and modeling aspect of the hobby. I'm introducing my son to the SBG version of the game (as opposed to WotR) and have some questions about formation terminology (and related source books), which I've never really understood.

There are a lot of formation/organization terms associated with this game. I think I have a handle on most of them but there are a couple which still confuse me. Here's what I know (please correct me where I'm wrong):

Warband: A group of up to 12 models with a hero leader (for a total of 13 models). 1/3rd of the group can carry bows, unless otherwise stated in the model's profile. This formation is for game composition and initial deployment. Models do not necessarily have to stay together as a war band after play begins and can maneuver to support models of allied war bands in the same army (ex: an elf spearman can move to support a Warrior of Minas Tirith). Explanation can be found in the 2012 army books and the recent Hobbit rulebooks.

Army: a collection of allied Warbands that fit within a pre-determined point limit for a particular match/game. The Army has a leader, typically a single, named hero. Explanation can be found in the same sources listed above.

Battle Company: A unique term for use with a special set of rules which allow Warbands to accumulate experience points that can applied to increase certain stats or allowable equipment. This is a set of rules both participants agree to use, "Let's play a Battle Company game." Battle Company rules were released as a PDF download from Games Workshop but is no longer listed on their site.

Warhost: Here's where I'm really fuzzy. I can't figure out what this really is. I know there was a rule book on the topic once upon a time but I don't own it.

Ok, please correct or add to my understanding of the above list. most importantly, What the heck is a War Host and how does it fit into the game?

Thanks very much.
Dave

Last edited by Clarkmonster on Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: Old member with a "Beginners" question.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:50 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Alright here's my go.

Warband: A means of army division and field deployment. Generally comprised of a hero and up to twelve warriors but existing rule allow for some warbands to be comprised of both single heroes or groups of heroes and single warriors.

Army: 1. The total field force for a given points limit made up and deployed as warbands. Led exclusively by a hero designated as a general of scenario purposes. Up to 1/3, exempting special rules, of this total may be armed with bows variants or crossbows.
2. Another term for faction or list when referring to the organization of rules and models in source books. i.e. the Minis Tirith army is the same as the Minis Tirith list or Minis Tirith faction.

Battle Company: An expansion that uses the base rules of points match games but has additional rules regarding composition and campaigns. It is not compatible with points match games.

Warhost though is not a term I am familiar with. It could be Battlehosts your thinking of. Which was a limited addition of extra rules for the War of the Rings expansion. Concerning only army composition within that expansion and the themed bonuses for field certain units together. But I don't think it had a contemporary in SBG to my knowledge. Or it might be an old system of boxing and selling different army lists from back in the day. They had something where you could by an army in box sort of thing so that might be it.

Hope that helps a bit.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:41 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks, Wan.

Here's the Warhost reference book I mentioned.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51R1c01y0-L._SX292_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I don't know if it bears different names on opposite sides of the Atlantic or not. Can anyone tell me what's in this? Is it needed, wanted, worth it?

DC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:15 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Warhost was an early iteration of warband, it was basically, and I'm simplifying here, a warband with no 12 man limit. As long as you had at least one hero and your warhost met the point limit, you are a qualified Warhost. When the sbg was originally released there was no rule about needing to field heroes, you could play an army of WoMT or a horde of moria goblins with no leader, if you wished. Warhost was the first attempt to codify the need/importance of heroes.

Battle companies. I argue that battle companies *is* compatible with a point match. Especially since you have to track your battle conpany's point value very closely and every edition of the game includes rules on how to use a battle company in a regular point match game. Now having said this, I would only use my battle company in a casual game with friends and I would never try to bring my BC to an official tournament.