All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:30 pm

Post subject: Hurling
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:21 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Some quetions on hurling
1) the direction of hurling appears to be defined as a simply as a striaght line. Is the actual directions any re 360 degree of the hurler or from the base of the model being hurled ?
2) What would happen to say models in contact with a model when knocked over being the had been charged or where charging the modle thats been knocked over? Can they carry on with their attack if it has not take palce yet in thar fight phase?
3) doe the knocked over model stay prone until its movement phase?
 Post subject: Re: Hurling
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:11 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hey I am pretty sure I can help with this one, if I'm wrong someone else will chime in I'm sure.

1) it is a straight line from the hurling monsters base in any direction. So yes 360

2) this is the one that I'm not quite sure on. We always play that the fights are split up but that may not be true.

3) the model is prone until it gets a chance to stand up. So for example if it wins a fight is can stand up or if it is not engaged in its movement phase then it can stand up.

Hope this helps!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:15 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

1-its supposed to be a 180 degree arc from where the two models touch base contact. That means he cant chuck him behind him. At least thats what the latest was. The damned rule has changed so many times because people cant get themselves together.

2-For for example.....you hurl an elf into a fight that has an orc agaisnt another elf. That elf gets knocked down. Thats your question right?

I believe the elf gets knocked down and they fight as normal. If the orc wins, double strikes.

3-Any model thats prone after the movement stage stays prone until the either wins the fight or has the next movement stage.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:34 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The answers to your questions are in the recent FAQ as I understand:

Q: When a Monster makes a Hurl attack, do you measure the distance hurled from the base of the Monster making the Hurl attack or the target model’s base? (pg 63)
A: Measure from the Hurling Monster’s base.

Q: If a Monster chooses to Hurl, can it Hurl from any point on its base or only where its base touches the target model’s base? (pg 63)
A: Any point on the Monster’s base.

Q: How do you measure which models are knocked Prone by a model that a Monster has Hurled? (pg 63)
A: Any model whose base is touched by a Hurled model’s base as it passed through it knocked Prone and suffers a Strength 3 hit. The only exception are models with Strength 6 or above, who suffer a Strength 3 hit, but are not knocked Prone, as the hurled model stops after making contact with them.

From the third point I guess you can technically knock models in combat prone, assuming the base of the hurled model doesn't touch a friendly model engaged in combat since the FAQ also states that 'Brutal power attacks ignore in the way tests'

In the case that they are both combatants are knocked prone the fight still occurs as confirmed:

Q: If two opposing models in a Fight are both Knocked Prone before the fight begins, do they still Fight in the Fight phase? (pg 40)
A: Yes.

Finally, for the last point prone models remain prone until they move or if they successfully win a fight while prone (instead of making strikes they stand up)

Hope this is useful :)

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:38 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

ya... "dont feed the trolls" with only 1 troop at a time :P
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:06 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

What andy_son_of_richard, as well as the others, said, is mostly true. Just remember, you can also technically throw guys up into the air and make them take fall damage. :lol: Not that it is a widely effective maneuver...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:25 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

LordoftheBrownRing wrote:
1-its supposed to be a 180 degree arc from where the two models touch base contact. That means he cant chuck him behind him. At least thats what the latest was. The damned rule has changed so many times because people cant get themselves together.

2-For for example.....you hurl an elf into a fight that has an orc agaisnt another elf. That elf gets knocked down. Thats your question right?

I believe the elf gets knocked down and they fight as normal. If the orc wins, double strikes.

3-Any model thats prone after the movement stage stays prone until the either wins the fight or has the next movement stage.

1. Don't get confused by what the official FAQ says and what people want to happen. The official FAQ says the monster can throw in a 360 degree arc from the point of contact. The rumor mill says that there will be a change to the FAQ in effect changing the 360 arc to a 180 arc, but don't hold your breathe.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:07 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Jobu wrote:
LordoftheBrownRing wrote:

1. Don't get confused by what the official FAQ says and what people want to happen. The official FAQ says the monster can throw in a 360 degree arc from the point of contact. The rumor mill says that there will be a change to the FAQ in effect changing the 360 arc to a 180 arc, but don't hold your breathe.

I believe the GBHL FAQ goes with 180 arc in their FAQ. That may be where brown ring thought the ruling was kad official?

For clarity it is only a house rule that makes it 180 degrees.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:30 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thank you everyone for answering.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:36 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Hya, just to nip this one in the bud, LOTBR has it right, the model being Hurled does not move and may be Hurled in any direction that does not pass over the monster's base, essentially giving monsters a 180 degree hurling arc.

This is answered in the GBHL Community FAQ so I grant you that it is not 100% official. However, the ruling has come from Games Workshop Games Development directly to us. It is very unlikely we will ever see another round of SBG FAQs and so the games developers have very kindly interacted directly with us to ensure we have the most correct and up to date rulings available. The 180 degree arc ruling has come AFTER the current Official FAQ and so represents GW games development's most up-to-date ruling on the matter.

Obviously you don't have to follow the GBHL Community FAQ but I hope the above helps explain its role and gives you some help. Ultimately, the 180 degree Hurl arc is the way GW intend and want the rule to be played, they have directly confirmed this to us; it is, of course, down to each player to decide if they wish to use the ruling.

2 and 3 are much simpler

2: Only models passed over by the Hurled model get knocked Prone. If a model in combat is knocked Prone but his foe is not, they fight the combat as normal. If the Prone model wins, he can stand up.

3. The model stays Prone until he either wins the fight or has the chance to stand up in his next move Phase.

Hope that helps

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:23 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The only reason I know is because I love monsters so damned much. The non 360 thing kills me haha

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:47 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thank you ringwraith for your answer to 1 , but you jogged my memory as to why I posted question 2 , is the base of the hurled model used to determine the area of affect ? For example Would Elf A when hurled 6 in" would they create an area 6 by 25MM in which other models are affected ? Or does the hurler pick some straight line.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:48 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Ah, sorry for muddying the waters I wasn't aware of the other FAQ. Thanks for clarifying... it's good to know there is still some support for this game out there :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:09 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Dr Grant wrote:

This is answered in the GBHL Community FAQ so I grant you that it is not 100% official. However, the ruling has come from Games Workshop Games Development directly to us. It is very unlikely we will ever see another round of SBG FAQs and so the games developers have very kindly interacted directly with us to ensure we have the most correct and up to date rulings available. The 180 degree arc ruling has come AFTER the current Official FAQ and so represents GW games development's most up-to-date ruling on the matter.

Obviously you don't have to follow the GBHL Community FAQ but I hope the above helps explain its role and gives you some help. Ultimately, the 180 degree Hurl arc is the way GW intend and want the rule to be played, they have directly confirmed this to us; it is, of course, down to each player to decide if they wish to use the ruling.

It would be nice if all communities went by the GBHL FAQs. Very well made.

Unfortunately they don't all use this. So just a reminder to everyone before you go to a tournament claiming to use one faq when another may be in force just make a note of checking the tournament pack.

I know that many players have gotten themselves in a hard place by either not knowing the official faq or by following the GBHL faq in Ontario Canada. It can be awkward when two player show up expecting to use 2 different sets of rules.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:20 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

:-X :-X