All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:17 am

Post subject: Out of the shadows..
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:21 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi all, i've been lurking for a few weeks now but decided to join up and join in.

It all started when i took my boys into a GW store, somehow they ended up conning me into buying them the Hobbit Goblin town set and the Island of Blood set.
Fast forward a few weeks and all the figures are painted, we've played a few very basic games and then Dad (me!) starts perusing the shelves in the local GW store and before i know it i've bought a some Hunter orcs and a nice little resin Bolg.

So i guess this is the start of my Hobbit/LOTR journey, but i can't help feeling i've joined the party a little late? Hopefully GW will continue to support the series, but i have noticed that quite a few of the minitures i would like are already oop.
Anyway, thanks for having me, i'm off to paint some Orc's on Wargs.
(And maybe Bolg when i'm brave enough..)
 Post subject: Re: Out of the shadows..
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:00 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hi and welcome, seems to me u came at the right time
breath of fresh air in the hobby, sum awesum new modells came out..and due to come out.
and if ur after the older modells always a trade thread or ebay if ur after it.

but arriving 2 late, its never to late to start a hobby. so i do hope ur gonna have a awesum time, and this place is great for inspiration, friendly feedback and anything u could look for.

so welcome again
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:15 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

A wizard is never late! Nor a hobbyist if he's doing what he enjoys.

It is true, you are probably coming in at the tale end of GW's coverage of Middle-Earth (and at there most expensive), but I don't think that should worry you. There are still loads of figures to buy, many of which can be purchased cheaply either from GW or ebay.

There are a bunch of figures out of print, but few of them are crucial. Most have acceptable substitutes or can be made with simple conversions.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:28 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Welcome!

Well, while I might feel like I was sugar-coating things if I said we weren't past LOTR/Hobbit's glory days, I think that there's still plenty out there, both readily available from GW and second-hand from past hobbyists, that you'll have your hands full for as long as you like! And you've already got two opponents, so it's not as if you're diving in all alone, searching in vain for someone to play against.

There are a small handful of older metal miniatures, mostly heroes that didn't have multiple sculpts to their name but are now discontinued, which can get a bit pricey on the secondary market, but really in my experience you can also still find plenty of great deals on used miniatures from folks that are trimming down their collection, getting rid of stuff they never got around to building/painting, etc.

Joe5mc wrote:
A wizard is never late! Nor a hobbyist if he's doing what he enjoys.

Well put!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:39 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Aye welcome to the hobby :)
As above, the world is changing, our time may be ending but there are battles to be fought before we depart these shores.

The community for lotr is certainly a strong one (at least in the UK) and regardless of the way GW go we'll do what we can to keep the hobbit hobby alive.
My advice would be to grab your favourite models while you can and have fun :)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:14 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks for the warm welcome guys, i'm looking forward to getting stuck in and playing some scenarios.
Nick