All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:43 pm

Post subject: Starting the game - Thranduil's Halls
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:00 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hey everyone!

I'd like to get into the game and looked through all the available miniatures.
Tbh I have no idea when it comes to rules etc. so far so I only decided by pure aesthetic ;)

So far I really like the Mirkwood Rangers kit, one of the two Tauriel versions and Legolas Greenleaf.

I'd consider getting myself 2-3 boxes of the rangers and one of each character.

Could these be used in a legal list? And if so, how many points would it roughly be worth? To be fair I have no idea either how many points are commonly used, so it would be good to know to if those minis would be a reassonable force or too large/small.

I'm more of a hobbyist than player, so I mostly enjoy assembling, converting and painting my miniatures. However being able to also play with them in some sort would be a nice bonus ;)

Thanks a lot in advance!
 Post subject: Re: Starting the game - Thranduil's Halls
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:18 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

It may not be the most competitive list but Legolas, Tauriel and 2 boxes of Mirkwood Rangers is a perfectly legal list. It comes to just under 500 points, which is a fairly good size. Most tournaments are usually around 500 to 800 points.

Hope that helps
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:11 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Unless you want a huge army I'd stick to 1-2 boxes of the rangers and get some of the Mirkwood elves, they're rumored to be being released as a discounted warband size, maybe a box of the palace guards too, although they're really only good with Thranduil, who is also a good model!
I just did a big in depth post about Thranduil's Halls tactics in the house rules and tactics forums.

P
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:38 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks a lot for answering, very appreciated :)

One more question though:

"and get some of the Mirkwood elves, they're rumored to be being released as a discounted warband size"

To be honest I haven't found these on the GW site, are they converted out of Rangers?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:21 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

s_painting wrote:
Hey everyone!

I'd like to get into the game and looked through all the available miniatures.
Tbh I have no idea when it comes to rules etc. so far so I only decided by pure aesthetic ;)

So far I really like the Mirkwood Rangers kit, one of the two Tauriel versions and Legolas Greenleaf.

I'd consider getting myself 2-3 boxes of the rangers and one of each character.

Could these be used in a legal list? And if so, how many points would it roughly be worth? To be fair I have no idea either how many points are commonly used, so it would be good to know to if those minis would be a reassonable force or too large/small.

I'm more of a hobbyist than player, so I mostly enjoy assembling, converting and painting my miniatures. However being able to also play with them in some sort would be a nice bonus ;)

Thanks a lot in advance!

The list is legal because Mirkwood Rangers led by Legolas, Thranduil or Tauriel don't count towards the bow limit, so you can legally have 100% bows.

The total points value for a list with two warbands of 10 Rangers each led by Legolas and Tauriel with bow is 465.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:42 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

s_painting wrote:
Thanks a lot for answering, very appreciated :)

One more question though:

"and get some of the Mirkwood elves, they're rumored to be being released as a discounted warband size"

To be honest I haven't found these on the GW site, are they converted out of Rangers?

So far the Mirkwood elves were only available in the three pack, as were all of the other finecast troops options but the Laketown troops and maybe the orcs? are being released in a discounted warband size set, bulk discout sorta, and it sounds like the Mirkwood elves might be getting that treatment as well. So I would wait a bit and see cause the finecast troops are pretty pricey :/

P
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:05 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Dikey wrote:
The list is legal because Mirkwood Rangers led by Legolas, Thranduil or Tauriel don't count towards the bow limit, so you can legally have 100% bows.

The total points value for a list with two warbands of 10 Rangers each led by Legolas and Tauriel with bow is 465.

Very informative, thanks a lot!
Might I ask if there's something small that I could add to make the list a round 500?

polywags wrote:
So far the Mirkwood elves were only available in the three pack, as were all of the other finecast troops options but the Laketown troops and maybe the orcs? are being released in a discounted warband size set, bulk discout sorta, and it sounds like the Mirkwood elves might be getting that treatment as well. So I would wait a bit and see cause the finecast troops are pretty pricey :/

Ah I see, thanks for pointing out. So we're talking about these or these guys here?

To be honest though I'm not much of a fan of these, so I guess I'll stay with my initial plan and keep the Rangers. Thanks though 8)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:30 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Get whatever models you like for that army, you can get a decent list out of whatever you mash together and it adds up to a good amount of points so you dont have to buy 4+ boxes until you are ready.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:57 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I think my suggestion would be a box of Palace Guards (https://www.games-workshop.com/Palace-Guards) to go with Legolas, Tauriel and 2 boxes of Mirkwood Rangers.

That should allow you to build a 500 list playing around with the balance between Palace Guard and Mirkwood Rangers.