All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:24 pm

Post subject: Learning to paint
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:53 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Note: I know this should've gone in the painting forum but it seems inactive and this is a beginner question as well.

I have two beginner questions about painting. First of all, is there any guide here on the forums to starting to paint/assemble miniatures? Second of all, what are the best paints/brands to buy if I want to start painting. I've been having a lot of trouble finding up-to-date information, especially for the second question.
 Post subject: Re: Learning to paint
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:25 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

A lot of the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit models are fairly simple to assemble, because they were sculpted in one piece. Even the larger models (cavalry, trolls) are generally only in a few pieces and relatively easy compared to some other models. The Lord of the Rings range is a little older and probably a little easier to assemble in general, though the figures are still very characterful.

There's a mix of materials that models come in. They could be in metal (older models and some re-releases), "finecast" (some Hobbit models), resin (some re-released models and Forge World models like the Iron Hills dwarves) or plastic (lots of the basic box troops). Metal/finecast/resin you can glue with superglue and plastic with plastic glue. The finecast/resin models take the most clean-up ... some of the models were originally done in metal, then re-released in resin and these need some work with a knife to scrape off spare material/tabs.

The plastic infantry boxes are probably a good place to start if you're new to modelling. Getting some clippers is much easier/safer for taking stuff off the sprues than a craft knife.

You can buy glue/craft knives/clippers etc. in many places, or all on the Games Workshop website. Games Workshop also has a nice range of paints that's good for beginners. Start by painting base colours, which are thick and cover the model well. Then you can add layer colours on top as highlights. And using a wash (aggrax earthshade/nuln oil) to put a bit of shade in can instantly transform a model.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Ci ... aint-Guide

Games Workshop does loads of painting videos on YouTube that would show you techniques you can use (although mostly not using LOTR models). If you live near one of their shops they might do lessons too.

If you don't want GW paints, another range you could try is Army Painter, available in lots of online stores.
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:59 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Another paint you might want to consider is Vallejo, I've been using them for awhile now. I like Vallejo and Army Painter in that they come in eyedroper bottles - easier to use less without drying out, easier to consistently mix.

Starting out, remember, the less paint on your brush the better. When starting painting the natural want is to start out on a hero or personality figure - Don't! Start on the faceless hoards of orcs or goblins so you get use to painting the figures - easier to hide beginner mistakes in groups vs individuals. Learned the hard way.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:25 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I would like to see the image you mentioned.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:26 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I started by using those cheap squeeze paints available at craft stores. While they don't produce the nicest results, they are widely available and affordable.

I never buy the textured GW paints. I think they're a waste of money. I just use sand or gravel gathered in the spring before the street sweeper comes and paint over that.

As a beginner, you'll really only ever use the standard paint brush. Yes, brushes are expensive, there's no getting around that, so treat them well. You will want a medium-cost brush, what GW sells is typical in price and quality. Contrary to many people, I actually do buy those cheap brushes at the dollar store. The ones with the stiff bristles are great for drybrushing, which will wreck your expensive brushes. You can also use them as glue brushes. For my bases, I just use white school glue, paint it on and shake in the sand bucket. Then I use a comparable cheap paint and wash or drybrush it.

Broken models are great to try out new techniques. I never feel bad messing up one of those. And they're dirt cheap or free usually.

If you can get your hands on the old Battle Games in Middle Earth magazine, these are a wonderful resource. They were never sold in N America, but were available in many languages in Europe, the UK and Australia and NZ. They are still easily found on ebay and the first few issues can be had for a few bucks usually. They came with a mini originally, and while most auctions no longer include the mini (in a red blister pack) you can find the included minis usually also quite cheaply on ebay. A few of the early issues also included mini paint pots.

I also like to buy the WD painting guides and magazines. Yes, they are all Warhammer of some flavour or another, but you can follow along in the book and see examples of finished paint schemes.

Don't forget to check out other miniature games companies. Many also have paint schemes and tips.

Most importantly, have fun!