All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:43 am

Post subject: Newbie question and army theme
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:50 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

ok,hey all,i'm new to lotr sbg(but i've been battleteching for 3+ years) and i'm wondering if i could suffice playing with just a MoM rulebook(which i bought yesterday off of ebay) and my second question(s) is of an army type.i want to do goblin's(i'm a big moria nut) but fro, what i've gathered is that they suck even in large numbers,my second choice would prob be isengard so any input to what is the better choice and also advice for a starting army,thanks :-D

Click my link,you know you wanna: http://blackreaper93.blogspot.com/
 Post subject: Re: Newbie question and army theme
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:51 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The MoM rulebook is ok but it dosen't have as many profiles and other stuff as the big one. Yes, goblins suck. But because they suck, they're very very cheap (5 points a pop for a goblin with a piece of equipment isn't to be sniffed at). With Moria, you generally want to get tonnes of goblins with some heroes and a troll or 2. A huge horde of goblins is often very hard to bring down simply because of the numbers of models. Also, they have access to the balrog and a dragon (well, they're technically in another list but it's still keeps the theme if you take them) and lots of beasties to compensate for their slow speed. Isengard is a very different story, they have access to some of the best troops available to evil but cost twice as much as goblins so a typical Isengard list will have a lot less troops than a moria list but the warriors will be stronger. Isengard can also purchase orcs if you want to keep their numbers higher and they also are blessed with pikes. Isengard lack though, some very strong combat heroes (no hero in their list has more than 2 attacks). It's up to you what you want, of course. You could always take a bit of both.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:06 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

ok,thanks a bunch,veryy good stuff to know.i still don't what theme but i like the idea of mixing both

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:45 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

hey BlackReaper, welcome to the One-Ring. I must say myself I've always been fascinated by Moria, and there is some truly great terrain there if your into making your own terrain. In army wise, I agree it's not the best - but if your looking to expand from the MOM box there's the new 'Cave Drake' and several other great pieces. I have the Mines box too, and I used it for some time. It's good to see you've experienced some other role playing games before, if I remember battletech was mostly robot/machine things?
Isengard has it's advantages, and probably have more range to chose from. As Spud said you will have a smaller army because they are more powerful, which in my opinion find better.. so I can control all my troops without getting overwhelmed. I agree thought that you could mix & match a bit.. look forward to seeing what you do.

Drum 8)
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:37 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

thanks drum,i actually am better at modeling terrain the painting models but i actually don't have the set,just the book,lol.and the cave drake has really got my fancy.ya,giant almighty 31st centuary war machines baby!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:17 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Ah great! another scenery builder! I myself much prefer making buildings or anything terrain related rather than painting, but a good paint every so often still catches my fancy. Which book is it? the old SBG one or the newer version with WOTR. The 'Cave Drake' also caught my fancy, looks like a smashing model to get.

lovin the battletech stuff btw lol
Drum
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:14 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

exactly how i feel(practically word for word,lol).oh,the book is literally the MoM rulebook(no set,lol).ya,it's stats looked very nice but if i ever do end up getting it i'll prob mount the baby and eggs on a seperate base for use in scenarios or what not(i can see it now,the goblin king wants scrambled eggs for breakfest).i understand why