All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:02 pm

Post subject: regarding the rule books
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:32 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I have the small sized rulebook from the MoM set.

I was wondering, what does the Two Towers Rulebook, Gondor in Flames, Return of the King, Scouring of the shire rules books and the rest of the supplement books offer that the main rulebook doesn't have? Are they worth buying?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:28 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Yes, IMHO. They have lots of profiles, scenarios, etc. They are also more "current" than the rulebook, so some profiles are more up to date in the sourcebooks.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:01 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yes, they are worth buying, but only get the ones you need. What armies do you have? We could then recommend which ones to get.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:17 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

First, be careful you don't buy the TTT or RotK RULEBOOK. I haven't seen them myself (having come to the hobby after the OR rulebook was published), but from my understanding these things are still floating around on eBay and such. They are out dated.

That being said, the Journey Book for each of the LotR Book/Movies is a good investment in my opinion. There are some profiles in each which you can find elsewhere, but the scenarios included in each allow you to play out most of the key events for the trilogy. Getting the models for each is a goal in and of itself of course. :rofl: There are also nice painting and terrain making guides in each which could help you along depending on your background and experience.

Beyond those three, the others are best targeted to your areas of interest. The Mordor and Harad books are very good for developing armies from either of those regions (or to give you good info you play against them regularly), but won't help you much if you want to build an Elf or Gondor force for example. So, as mentioned earlier, if you want to post some of your interests regarding armies we can help direct your money most efficiently. 8)

As a side note, most of the supplements really do have a lot of interesting information and can be very helpful in inspiring you in areas you didn't initially consider. I do suggest that you keep an eye out for eBay or local sales of them and snatch up ones you find at a good cut.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:44 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

In my sig you can find out specifically where all SBG profiles printed so far are located in a clear and concise manner (instead of going to GW's site and clicking on each book individually with major cross-references).

Generally sourcebooks add profiles, scenarios, modelling tips and terrain tips - some books have better individual sections than others (you can usually find reviews of these products on sites like this). Ideally you could go to a store, look through the individual books, and find out if they have stuff you want in them. In addition, the most recent books are pretty much focused on army building - so a book focused on which army you're playing is definitely a bonus.