All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:46 pm

Post subject: 2 questons from a brand new newbie
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:04 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

hey everyone i'm brand new to the game and since i'm cheap, i'm planning to sculpt my own pieces, good or bad idea? also since i'm new can anyone point me to some good place to start?
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:33 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

bad idea
just buy the models on the cheap on ebay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:59 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Sculpting your own minis will usually cost you (in time, effort and materials) much more than if you simply bought the minis outright - if you don't want to pay full price use eBay or find some OL retailer (yes, they still exist even though GW has cracked down on them). If you don't have years of sculpting experience (or any) I would definitely not even consider it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:15 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I agree, unless you have sculpted before (and have the materials to do so) you're better off buying the models from somewhere like Ebay. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:00 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

You can still take some financial short-cuts. For example, instead of sinking the money into command blisters, consider taking some regular troops that have a cool pose and mount them up on a rock or other small terrain feature so that they stand out from the rest of the force and say he's a Captain. Similarly, take a model that has a spear held high, cut some paper or card to shape, glue it to the shaft and you have a Banner. Now you just took two plastic models and made a $20 command blister. 8)

You may find other options like this as you go along, and never get too hung up on having "use as" models in your force as long as you and your opponents are clear what they are. For example, if you're playing Evil and want to try some Nazgul, pick up one you think you may want. But over the course of games if you want him to be the Dark Marshal in this game, and Khamul in the next, just be sure you're clear before the game starts. There's no reason to worry about having to rush out and dump money again.

Also, look around for non-GW options while you're getting started. I wanted some Eagles to support my Wood Elf army but don't have the money to spend on the GW models right now. A quick trip to a toy store though found some plastic Owls with a similar wingspan which I stuck to the right size base using Blue-Tac. For $5 and about 30 seconds of effort I had two "Eagles" ready for play. I also own a few Trolls, but don't have an offical Troll Chief. I can always just say my Isengard Troll is a Troll Chief and my others are normal Mordor Trolls and me and my opponents are very clear and have no problems.

Also, if at all possible, try to borrow a friends army for a few games. Make sure you like how it plays and it meets your style before starting to invest. When you're just getting going you don't want to commit much of your cash to one army only to find you really wished you did something else once you really get a feel for the rules and play style.

Welcome to the obsession!

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:00 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Location: Before the gates of another fortress, telling those maggots that they have to form ranks!
I think the problem with sculpting is that the time you've finally got the scils, you've already spend 70$(50€) on GS. SO, ebay and mithril, reaper are very recommended! Extra tip: try to wait! There lots of blisters know and you pay around 16$ (12€) each! So wait bescause all these blisters will once be availble in plastic. Or convert of course (IMO is converting the funniest part of the hobby).
The reason why great sculptors as ebob and ukfreddybear sculpt some of their minis is because they want something that isn't producted by GW.

Raggbur

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:32 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Already stated by others, but unless you're experienced in sculpting, you might end up with a lot of Epoxy Gumby action figues. If you are completely new to the hobby and painting, I urge you to buy cheaper units on cheaper places. Since I don't know your budget, I also urge you to consider the additional money you'll be spending on brushes and paint, since they are essential to the hobby above all else, the actual models aside. If you do find that you have the funds to begin this hobby, then Ebay is your friend, and cheap units like Warriors of Minas Tirith are great painting practice.