All times are UTC

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 2:01 am

Post subject: beginner help?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:33 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

well, i just started this awesome game. i have just purchased 2 sets of infantry. 1 mordor and 1 gonder set. i did that because i wasnt planning of fighting other people with armys of their own for a while.

im out of money so iu cant afford the $50 war of the ring rule book.

can someone give me the basic info on the:

-what the stats mean
-movement
-fighting
-what ever else ill need to know till i can find someone else here (louisville, KY)
-or until i can get that rule book ( war of the ring)

Thanks for the help :)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:24 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

You're kidding, right? :roll:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:55 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

would i be asking.

im brand new...

i dont currently have a job. so i wont have the money till mabye a month.

so no, im not kidding.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:18 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Well then, I'll explain it:

First, this site would be shut down faster than you can say "I charge my Mumak" if we started providing the rules or rules summaries. Maybe you aren't aware, but there's this little thing called "copyright", which prevents people from stealing other people's work. Essentially, you're asking us to steal for you.

Second, and in many ways more importantly, you need to gain a little perspective on what you're asking for. The rules are a large body of work. They aren't large and long to read because GW is verbose. In fact, they're really economical with their words, sometimes confusingly so. So you're asking us to spend our precious time summarizing a massive, but tightly woven, body of work. Can you imagine how long that would take?

And BTW, the fact that you don't have a job is irrelevant. I don't know how old you are, but when I was 13 I had a paper route, and sometimes mowed lawns, and still managed to buy a $400 telescope (probably $3000 in today's dollars) by the time I was 16. I bet 5 or 6 lawns will get you the book. Or volunteer somewhere, and maybe "what goes around comes around". That would be much better than assuming that your time is more valuable than ours.

In the meantime, you might try going to a GW store and asking for a demo, or watching at a tournament. Or check the Opponent Finder forum here, and find someone in your area. Maybe they'll be nice and lend you the rules.

Anyway, when you get the rules and have questions, we'll be more than happy to help out. But not with illegal freebies.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:29 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

ok, well, that was my bad.

forget what i said earlier.
 Post subject: hanging a round the beginner post to bully 12 year old's.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:43 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
]New to the game or the hobby? Post your newbie questions in here without fear of being laughed at.

So did I miss something?

l
Quote:
Little perspective on what you're asking

Is that what you call that post?

Quote:
You're kidding, right?

After I saw this post, I decided it would be rash to think you were hanging a round the beginner post to bully 12 year old's.
After your other post I see I was mistaken.

So summon some of that internet courage and justify your tone to an adult.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:38 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

"Beginner" is one thing, and I'm usually pretty helpful. Check it out before you accuse me of "bullying".

Asking for illegal freebies is another thing entirely. I guess I don't get how people can show up and expect others to do a ton of work for them. That's not "beginner seeking help", it's an attitude.

Last edited by whafrog on Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:38 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

right.
ok right now im confused, i saw what i did and i want to delet this topic to get ride of that so i dont get this forum in trouble.

now, it would be nice to delet this topic.

i am working on my problems now.

thank you for concering.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:41 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

in fact. what i should have asked is what can i do to create a decent beginner army?
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:55 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

If you're playing War of the Ring you'll probably need a lot more models. The Strategy Battle Game is kinder that way, you don't need much more than what you have. For Gondor, Faramir is a good all-round leader. Getting him, plus a captain of Minas Tirith and a box of Knights will give you a good force for many smaller games (up to 450 points).

For Mordor, you might want an Orc captain, a Shaman, a hero like Shagrat, and maybe a box of Warg Riders led by Sharku.

Check out the Army List forum here, there are lots of ideas for armies at all point levels.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:21 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Quote:
Well then, I'll explain it:

First, this site would be shut down faster than you can say "I charge my Mumak" if we started providing the rules or rules summaries. Maybe you aren't aware, but there's this little thing called "copyright", which prevents people from stealing other people's work. Essentially, you're asking us to steal for you.

Second, and in many ways more importantly, you need to gain a little perspective on what you're asking for. The rules are a large body of work. They aren't large and long to read because GW is verbose. In fact, they're really economical with their words, sometimes confusingly so. So you're asking us to spend our precious time summarizing a massive, but tightly woven, body of work. Can you imagine how long that would take?

And BTW, the fact that you don't have a job is irrelevant. I don't know how old you are, but when I was 13 I had a paper route, and sometimes mowed lawns, and still managed to buy a $400 telescope (probably $3000 in today's dollars) by the time I was 16. I bet 5 or 6 lawns will get you the book. Or volunteer somewhere, and maybe "what goes around comes around". That would be much better than assuming that your time is more valuable than ours.

In the meantime, you might try going to a GW store and asking for a demo, or watching at a tournament. Or check the Opponent Finder forum here, and find someone in your area. Maybe they'll be nice and lend you the rules.

Anyway, when you get the rules and have questions, we'll be more than happy to help out. But not with illegal freebies.

There can nothing be added... My advice would be dont even start the hobby if you dont feel like spending some money on it. I mean that wouldnt even be wrong given the prices of gw for the actual stuff that you get... And if you asked me i would say that you're both pretty much right, oldmanwillow and whafrog... On the one side you should have some comprehension for the newbies but on the other its a really outrageous enquiry if he knows how enormous the rules are...

Post subject: I'm usually pretty helpful.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:45 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
I'm usually pretty helpful.

Is that what you call it?

Quote:
Check it out before you accuse me of "bullying".

Is that what you did ?

Quote:
Asking for illegal freebies is another thing entirely. I guess I don't get how people can show up and expect others to do a ton of work for them. That's not "beginner seeking help", it's an attitude.

An unlawful acts requires intent.

Quote:
I am brand new i dont currently have a job. so i wont have the money till mabye a month.

so no, im not kidding.

So where is the intent.

Quote:
I guess I don't get how people can show up and expect others to do a ton of work for them

Is this the evidence of your helpful attitude.?

I did not expect you to be able to justify your tone.
Do not expect me to do any further research to base my opinion it is formed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:04 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Well, this thread went downhill pretty fast.

@Osric, welcome to the One Ring. Please don't take this thread as the normal sort of reaction you will get to your posts. Our members are encouraged to be helpful and respectful at all times and the sarcastic tone of the responses here go against what we are trying to achieve.

I'm tempted to lock this thread now because I don't want it to flare up into anything, but I'll give the culprits a chance to cool down first.

In answer to your question...

Basically, to get started in the game without the rulebook, it's best if you head into a Games Workshop store and have a run through with one of the staff there. They'll happily show you the basics and give you some pointers on what figures you might need to start with.

If you can't get into a GW store, then have a look at some online battle reports and tactical guides (here and on the GW website) to get a feel for the flow of the action and how things like Might and Will work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:51 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

@osric: my apologies for the tone. I think my points were valid, but I could have been a lot more friendly about it, or just left it alone. This is a great site, full of info and helpful people. Hope you'll ignore me and take a look around.

@Dagorlad: :(
 Post subject: my apologies
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:22 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I would like to apologize to the Administrators of the site .
As Host we are honor and duty bound to respect our Guest. This includes taking up for them. However, it was not my place to do so.