All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:29 am

Post subject: Newbi!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:43 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hello,

I'm new and i don't have anything from lord of the rings yet.
but i want a opinion what schould i buy first, i really don't have anything no paint. So what paint do i need an what brushes? and what figueres i love the Harad but i think they are really difficult to paint and everything.
I come from the netherlands so if there's a forum about this game/hobby in dutch can you send me a link?

Greetz,
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:41 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hello and welcome to the One Ring and to Lotr Sbg. For starting, I think the starter hobby set is really good.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1300172&prodId=prod1560013

That can be pretty expensive though. It might be a better idea to just get a paint set and buy other materials from other places as Games Workshop tends to ask for 3 times the money that the stuff actually costs from other places.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1290200&prodId=prod1095435

For models, are you planning to play the Strategy Battle Game or War of the Ring? I can't say anything about WotR but I have played the SBG for a long time and am a Harad collector myself. Haradrim are not any harder to paint than any other guys, so don't be worried about that.

If you are starting the Strategy Battle Game, the Mines of Moria box is a good choice. It is only 15 euros more and you get the whole fellowship, 24 goblins, a cave troll, and some terrain. The big rulebook just has a few more profiles and some hobby guides, but you will be better off looking at the articles on this site. There is also a Mines of Moria hobby set where you get paints and the normal Mines of Moria set.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1290011&prodId=prod1140216

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1290011&prodId=prod1140218

For starting Harad, I recommend getting a normal box of warriors, a box of raiders, and a captain or a hero. Then later you can add some elites in.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat150083a&prodId=prod1090137

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat150083a&prodId=prod1090145

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat150082a&prodId=prod1090112

I hope you find that helpful. If you have any further questions I will be happy to answer them too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:01 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

first of all thanks for the fast reply, so you say the starter hobby set is great but that i can get the moria cave better because its a little more expensive and get better stuff?

what is the diffrence between wotr and sbg? i think the sbg is better that is just the game itself right?

I really want the Haradrim i love the way they look and if they are not more difficult to paint then i buy them, I think painting things is hard right?
and you get better in it over time. is it possible to repaint things later?

And is it a good idea to buy a Harad Sourcebook?

and you say i can at elite's later what are they? is a elite of harad the Mumak of Harad? and can i make a army as big as i want or is there a limit?

Thanks very helpful sorry for the many questions. Greetz
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:21 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

wotr is usually quite a bit bigger and are on trays. sgb every model moves and fights seperately. haradrim are not very hard to paint and are one of my favourite army's. the elite of haradrim are watchers of karna and haradrim raiders. yes it is a very good idea to buy the sourcebook. it is possible to repaint but it takes away from the detail of the model. if you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:13 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

You can make big armies, but most games are in the 400 to 700 point range. Above 1000 points the games take a long time, unless you have very specific scenario objectives.

If you have a GW store nearby, you might be able to drop in and ask for a demo. Don't let them suck you into War of the Ring game though :) you need a lot more models, and IMHO it's not as fun as the Strategy Battle Game.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:08 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

itachi217 wrote:
first of all thanks for the fast reply, so you say the starter hobby set is great but that i can get the moria cave better because its a little more expensive and get better stuff?

what is the diffrence between wotr and sbg? i think the sbg is better that is just the game itself right?

I really want the Haradrim i love the way they look and if they are not more difficult to paint then i buy them, I think painting things is hard right?
and you get better in it over time. is it possible to repaint things later?

And is it a good idea to buy a Harad Sourcebook?

and you say i can at elite's later what are they? is a elite of harad the Mumak of Harad? and can i make a army as big as i want or is there a limit?

Thanks very helpful sorry for the many questions. Greetz

Yeah I think the best option for starting is to get the Mines of Moria hobby set. You get the rulebook, models, a starter booklet, dice, rulers, a brush, and paints. Basically everything you need to get started.

Strategy battle game is where you move 1 model at a time. War of the Ring is more like Warhammer where you have many models on a tray and you move them around stuck together. They are 2 different games using the same models. The Strategy Battle game is better for getting started as you don't need as many models and its funner too!

There are many elites for Harad. The Haradrim Warriors and Raiders are the basics. Then there are Serpent Guard, Abrakhan Guard, and Watchers of Karna which are elite infantry, and Serpent Riders which are elite horsemen. All the elites are metal though, and can be quite expensive. I don't recommend getting the mumak until you have a lot of models already. It is also very expensive.

It is possible to repaint things later, though you may lose some of the detail, but from my experience its not that bad. There are also ways to take the paint off, though they can damage plastic models if they are too strong.

The profiles for Haradrim Warriors, Raiders, and Captains are in the main rulebook, but when you start getting elites you will need to get the Harad Sourcebook as you will not find the stats for those models in the rulebook. It also has some cool scenarios.

If you play by Legions of Middle Earth rules there are limits to how big your army is. You don't need to buy the LoME book as you can use this wonderful excel file by Lonely Knight.

http://lonelyknight.0fees.net/LOME%20v2.5.zip

On the starter screen choose the Serpent Horde list and then you can build an army and see the limits.

Basically, only 1 third of your force can be bowmen, not including heroes. Then there are model limits for the different points values. I can't remember the LoME ones but I personally play with 1 model per 10 points, so a 500 points force would have a maximum of 50 models, and a 600 would have a maximum of 60 models. I calculated a starter force that you can use with the miniatures that I listed earlier. Its a 250 point army and great for a starter game.

Haradrim Chieftain with bow and spear
Haradrim Warrior with Banner
12 Haradrim Warriors with Spear
5 Haradrim Warriors with bow
3 Haradrim Raiders with Warspear (lance)
3 Haradrim Raiders with Bow

249 Points
25 models
9 Bows
2 Might

It uses all the models from the stuff I listed earlier except 7 of the archers. You will be able to use these too once you get elites.

I hope that was helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:09 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

The Legions of Middle Earth model limits are 50 at 500 points, 75 at 1000 points, and 100 at 1500 points. This means at 600 points you can still take 75 models, if you can find a way to squeeze them in.

I'm not sure why everybody's recommending the MoM kit, since you want a Harad army, not Goblins. Also, you don't have to paint them before you play with them. Painting takes a long time, and IMHO makes the game a much more satisfying experience, but you don't have to wait until all your models are painted.

So I'd get the main rulebook (which has some painting advice), the Harad sourcebook, and the models you want. Maybe target a 500 point list to start off with. Then for painting...

The problem with the basic painting kit is it only has the primary colors and a few others. If you're feeling adventurous, there is an article on this site under painting guides that shows how to mix any colour from the primary colours, but it could be a lot of work. Instead, the Harad sourcebook will show you many of the colors you need. Just pick up those for starters. The main rulebook has some basic painting guides, if you want more thorough information pick up the How to Paint Citadel Miniatures book from GW. Personally I've bought all the foundation paints, all the washes, and most of the regular paints, but it took a while to get them all.

Good luck!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:15 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Oops, one more thing...if you don't have someone to play against who's willing to buy their own army, you might end up having to build yourself an enemy to play against. This is what I have to do, since among my friends we each host different types of games, so we each have to provide everything for each game. Gondor is the natural enemy of Harad, and probably the easiest to start off with.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:11 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks all

Idk what figuers are how many points but i will buy some and read the rule book and the harad book i think it gets some time to understand everything in this game.

And about i don't have anyone to play with. I will make a post on internet if some players can play. So that won't be a problem.

And yes i think painting sucks a lot of time indeed but i think its part of this all you can't alone play the game the painting is also a part of it so i will begin with that and i need to get some painting skills.

Thanks again.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:15 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

whafrog wrote:
The Legions of Middle Earth model limits are 50 at 500 points, 75 at 1000 points, and 100 at 1500 points. This means at 600 points you can still take 75 models, if you can find a way to squeeze them in.

I'm not sure why everybody's recommending the MoM kit, since you want a Harad army, not Goblins. Also, you don't have to paint them before you play with them. Painting takes a long time, and IMHO makes the game a much more satisfying experience, but you don't have to wait until all your models are painted.

So I'd get the main rulebook (which has some painting advice), the Harad sourcebook, and the models you want. Maybe target a 500 point list to start off with. Then for painting...

The problem with the basic painting kit is it only has the primary colors and a few others. If you're feeling adventurous, there is an article on this site under painting guides that shows how to mix any colour from the primary colours, but it could be a lot of work. Instead, the Harad sourcebook will show you many of the colors you need. Just pick up those for starters. The main rulebook has some basic painting guides, if you want more thorough information pick up the How to Paint Citadel Miniatures book from GW. Personally I've bought all the foundation paints, all the washes, and most of the regular paints, but it took a while to get them all.

Good luck!

The reason I am recommending the MoM set is because the Hardcover rulebook is almost the same price but doesn't really have anything that's more useful in it. The painting guides are pretty poor and it doesn't have all the profiles that he is looking for. In the MoM you also get other stuff. Everyone wants a Fellowship at one point don't they?

Paints cost more if you buy them individually than if you buy a paint set. In the starter set you pretty much get all the colors you need and you can mix more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:05 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Location: Before the gates of another fortress, telling those maggots that they have to form ranks!
I recommend the MoM starter set to, its a very good deal, you save around 50€! Ofcourse, you miss some small articles (that's why I started a new topic: "I missed something of the SBG rulebook) but I think none is about haradrim. All hobby articles you need are in the scourcebook.

Raggbur

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:39 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

itachi217 wrote:
Thanks all

Idk what figuers are how many points but i will buy some and read the rule book and the harad book i think it gets some time to understand everything in this game.

And about i don't have anyone to play with. I will make a post on internet if some players can play. So that won't be a problem.

And yes i think painting sucks a lot of time indeed but i think its part of this all you can't alone play the game the painting is also a part of it so i will begin with that and i need to get some painting skills.

Thanks again.

I don't know about what others think, but I don't think posting on the Internet will find other players near you. You're going to have to seek out a Dutch (assuming that you are there) hobby store somewhere near you, or at least find a LotR hobby site with other people close to you. Once again though, there really is no practical place for you to play with strangers aside from a hobby store.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:37 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Numbynumbnuts wrote:

I don't know about what others think, but I don't think posting on the Internet will find other players near you. You're going to have to seek out a Dutch (assuming that you are there) hobby store somewhere near you, or at least find a LotR hobby site with other people close to you. Once again though, there really is no practical place for you to play with strangers aside from a hobby store.

I found one player near me, never played a game with them. My profile used to say my actual location (Kansas) and someone noticed, etc. etc. Also, there really aren't any hobby stores in most of Kansas, not one GW store - so that makes finding new players quite a challenge unless you live in one of the few big cities.
Really all this depends on where you are...