All times are UTC

It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 7:19 pm

Post subject: Campaigns and rules
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:41 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Having come back to wargaming LOTR after 25 years (No. 1 son found my old figures in the attic), I'm sorting out armies under the 'new' regime (GW figures and basing style).

Looking at battle reports on here and in WD, it seems hard to run a decent campaign. In the real world the losing side in a battle would normally retain enough combat power to regroup, maybe pull in some re-inforcements and have another go. With modern rules, the losers are nearly all killed, and campaigns seem to be a series of linked one-offs, rather than forces moving across the map and fighting for objectives, or some form of advantage.

Am I wrong? Is there a way to manage a battle within the GW rules so that the loser can re-use some of his losing force in a couple of day's time?

Rules I used to use included dividing the casualties into 3; 1/3 dead, 1/3 severely injured (back on strength in 2 weeks), 1/3 slightly injured/run away (back on strength in 2 days). This can be altered to reflect higher returns to the force that holds the field at the end of the fight, but this can also create a momentum that makes the winner of the initial engagement hard to beat.

I really enjoy little battles like rearguard actions where a small force defends a choke point to allow the main force to escape, or encounter battles that result from poor recconaissance and cause confusion to both sides (while the Umpire chuckles into his beer and checks to see if, to cap it all, it's raining and your bows won't work...).

I could dig out my old rules, but don't want to turn No. 1 son into a social outcast just yet....
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:13 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Looks like you have already answered your own question, you can make your campaign rules as complex or detailed as you wish, there would be to much book keeping for me with your idea though - I like things simple. Also it would mean having perculiar sized units in play, maybe so small they could not be used.

My idea would be just to roll a die needing a score depending on casualties and if succesful the unit can be used at full strength for the next game. The die roll could be explained as rallying the troops, resupply and reinforcements etc etc.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:43 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

If you like the role-playing aspect of it, then Battle-Companies sounds like it might be the thing for you, it's experience based aswell, and uses similar rules to what you just described for injuries and the like. There isn't an official book for it but there are rules scattered around magazines and the web; do a 'search' (top bar) on these forums and I'm sure you will fins some useful info.

OERP