All times are UTC

It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 8:01 pm

Post subject: Throwing Weapons
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:26 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

If i want to dart a throwing weapon upon a terror causing enemy model, can i do so before i make the courage test?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:55 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

No, of course not. You can only throw in the Move phase as part of a charge, just before contact. Therefore you have to make your courage test to even start charging, because if you miss and/or don't kill you end up in contact.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:21 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:04 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

whafrog wrote:
No, of course not. You can only throw in the Move phase as part of a charge, just before contact. Therefore you have to make your courage test to even start charging, because if you miss and/or don't kill you end up in contact.

Thanks for pointing that one out Whafrog! I just got my new rulebook a few days ago and havent even noticed that subtle change from ROTK.

Thanks again! 8)

-The silmarillion by J.R.R Tolkien, first line-
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:07 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

What was the rule before?
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:13 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

If you're worried about not passing your Courage Test for some reason (Rohan infantry for example) you could just throw them in the Shoot Phase.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:40 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

whafrog wrote:
What was the rule before?

I dont know about FOTR ( i dont think there where throwing weapons)
but in TTT you where allowed to throw it once... in the whole game! :lol:
i always thought the rules where different in ROTK i thought you where also allowed to throw it in the move phase without charging... but npw when rerading i see i read it wrong all the way... :rofl:

-The silmarillion by J.R.R Tolkien, first line-
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:10 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Quote:
If you're worried about not passing your Courage Test for some reason (Rohan infantry for example) you could just throw them in the Shoot Phase.
So my rule-book says if a model fails a courage test it may not do any further actions this turn, including to shoot. So do throwing weapons count as range-weapons or not?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Of course they do, what on earth would make you think otherwise?
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:05 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Throwing weapons can be used as EITHER a short range "shoot" phase weapon or as a ranged attack made during the charge (when 1" from your enemy). You have to make a Courage Test to charge a Terrifying model and therefore, with low Courage models, you risk failure and loss of the thowing weapon. However, if you just decide not to charge and you're close enough you can use them as normal ranged weapons…and you don't need to make a Couarge Test to shoot at someone.

Another limit of using them on the charge is that only your first successfully charging model may do so (if you're Good). Once your first model charges (thrown weapon or not) and makes base contact with an enemy model you can no longer shoot at that enemy.

With my Wood Elves I generally give all non-Bow-armed models Throwing Daggers (at least all those with Elf Blades…those with Spears may be skipped if points are an issue). This costs a bit of points but gives me a LOT of short ranged killing power and I've almost always found that it pays for itself. The two general tactics are:

Option 1: At close range with the enemy, don't charge but instead have them all use their Daggers during the Shoot phase, unloading a lot of killing power (they are Str 3 in melee and Str 3 with the Daggers so you have about the same chance to Wound with any hits). You risk being charged and cannot retaliate so be sure to use Zone of Control to your max and position your models in such a way that charges against them might "inherit" another model in the Fight. It all depends on the situation that Turn.

Option 2: Charge multiple enemy models, being sure that every Charge is first made by a model with a Dagger. After all possible Dagger-throwing charges are made, fill in the Fights with any remaining Elves, either directly or supporting w/ Spears.

Now, if you are using a force with lower base-courage, such as Rohan, and need to charge models that cause Terror, then Option 2 may be more risky. You can find some models stalling on their Charge and leaving you out classed in the coming Fights. But you can always try your best to set up your line in Option 1 effectively, either with some Loss Leaders or else pairing models to force the multi-model Fights, pelt them with Throwing Weapons and let them do their best to charge you.

(NOTE: It's been many, many months since I've played SBG, favoring WotR lately, so if my memory is stumbling over a rule please let me know…but I'm pretty sure that's accurate).

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:40 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thanks Beowolf now i got the point...