All times are UTC

It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 9:09 pm

Post subject: Canyon
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:01 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

So i was thinking about a game-board that is separated by a canyon that one can cross by a bridge in the middle or just by climbing. Do you think this affects the game in a positive or negative way? I guess you have a less choice of tactics than on a even board, haven't you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:44 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

hmm... there was a battle report of this in one of the best of white dwarf collection... the
one from TTT i think... there was a map with a chasm and only two ways of crossing.

Anyway... i think this might result in a funny game, since the one attacking would be sorta
disadvataged... and only have one way of attacking.. and the "defender" could just stand at the brigde... i think it sounds like a good idea to try... :lol:

-The silmarillion by J.R.R Tolkien, first line-
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:35 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

How about just having a flat board, and make a river that isn't attached to the board? You'll be able to place the river on the board, having the same effect as a canyon, but you'll also be able to take it off if you want to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:31 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Location: Hear the sinister whisper of steel on leather? The quiet footsteps? You've found me.
I'd say it would be good for special games, but not as a general gaming board. The bridge would make an ideal objective, and could also present some new tactical opportunities--one would simply need to put a good defense across the bridge and then pound the enemy with his archers, or vice versa. However, I could see this getting old after a while, and just turning into a game of "let's see who can put the most badass unit(s) on the bridge" because, well, if they can't get across the bridge, the game is going to get rather tedious IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:54 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Quote:
How about just having a flat board, and make a river that isn't attached to the board? You'll be able to place the river on the board, having the same effect as a canyon, but you'll also be able to take it off if you want to.

Actually its more about the looking than playin... I just don't want the board to be useless like some diorama...

Quote:
I'd say it would be good for special games, but not as a general gaming board. The bridge would make an ideal objective, and could also present some new tactical opportunities--one would simply need to put a good defense across the bridge and then pound the enemy with his archers, or vice versa. However, I could see this getting old after a while, and just turning into a game of "let's see who can put the most badass unit(s) on the bridge" because, well, if they can't get across the bridge, the game is going to get rather tedious IMO.

Thanks i guessed as much... but you can also climb what about that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:15 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

You could climb, but your movement is halved, and cavalry still have to wait. As long as you take that into account and provide interesting tactical opportunities for those who aren't struggling to get past the bridge, you can still have an interesting game. It would probably help if the objective was something other than total annihilation.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:51 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Quote:
You could climb, but your movement is halved, and cavalry still have to wait. As long as you take that into account and provide interesting tactical opportunities for those who aren't struggling to get past the bridge, you can still have an interesting game. It would probably help if the objective was something other than total annihilation.

Helpful as always - thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:17 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

You could combine it with the reinforcements rule.

Try to use 1 big bridge, where about 4 men can stand together, and two horses. And besides the 1 big bridge, use (2?) smaller bridges, where only 1 horse / 2 men can stand next to each other.

Some special rules like a broken bridge, falling down, hard winds.
Although that makes the attack much harder.

And instead of a deep canyon, it might be a good idea, as mentioned before, just a river instead of the bridge.
With the river you have much more options, like swimming and boats.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:59 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

If the canyon was narrow enough to jump over that would help too. The bridge would be the safest way (and a great objective to hold) but you could still be outflanked by people jumping across (and rarely, falling hilariously to their doom).

Also helpful would be to have scoring objectives on both sides of the canyon so that, as has already been said, a match to just kill everybody overpowers the bridge.

I also like the one big bridge but other smaller bridges idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:44 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

If you are going to just play a pitched battle then forget it as whoever has the superior shooting will win. Now if you play a scenario say with dwarves and goblins who could possible scamper across via a wall the other end or have a small holding force on the bridge waiting for reinfrcements or some other scenario, that could work.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:31 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thanks for your replies!