All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:01 am

Post subject: Stoopid noob Q's
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:21 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hello everyone.

I've just started playing mines of moria with my girlfriend. Really enjoying it so far, but only had a couple of games.

Slightly confused with some of the rules and it would be really great if someone could explaine or point me in the right direction.

In fighting...

1. If Gimli has an attack of 3 he rolls 3 die. But mine has an axe in each hand, do i get an extra dice? or extra strength? same with my Gandalf.

2. My Aragon is wielding his sword with 2 hands, but also has a bow. Do I get a bonus in strength for using both hands? Do i loose that bonus if i use the bow?

3. If Gandalf gets charged by 2orcs on the evil move, can Aragon charge the orcs on the good move? If so... How does the dice roll work?
Do I roll all 6 good die against the 2 orc die and the top number wins all? So if I get 6, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1. and the orcs get 5, 5. Does that mean that Gandalf and Aragon win the fight, or Aragon wins against one orc and Gandalf looses against the other?

Also... if 3 of the fellowship attack the cave troll...
Gandalf, Gimli and Aragon have attack of 3 so the good guy rolls 9 die. The Cave troll rolls 3 die.
If the following gets rolled who wins?

a - Good 6, 6, 6, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1. Evil 6, 1, 1
b - Good, 6, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1. Evil 5, 5, 5.

I have had a good look at the rules but I cant seem to get my head round this.
We played a game that lasted ages. The cave troll was attacked by 3 of the fellowship 5times and never had any wounds inflicted but died after being hit by a stone and 2 arrows in one turn. We must have been playing wrong for the game to end that way.

Thank you for your time and for any help you may able to give.
Sorry for the extra long noob post.

Post subject: Re: Stoopid noob Q's
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:38 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Location: Peterborough/Sheffield (Depends on the Time of Year!)
Manofkent wrote:
Hello everyone.

I've just started playing mines of moria with my girlfriend. Really enjoying it so far, but only had a couple of games.

Slightly confused with some of the rules and it would be really great if someone could explaine or point me in the right direction.

In fighting...

1. If Gimli has an attack of 3 he rolls 3 die. But mine has an axe in each hand, do i get an extra dice? or extra strength? same with my Gandalf.

This is already taken into account. In the main rulebook Gimli has 2 attacks which represent him using his massive Two-handed Axe. Or he can choose to use his two small axes and have 3 attacks. This may seem pointless but the 2 attacks give him a bonus to wound, whereas 3 attacks strike at his normal strength.

Manofkent wrote:
2. My Aragon is wielding his sword with 2 hands, but also has a bow. Do I get a bonus in strength for using both hands? Do i loose that bonus if i use the bow?

There is no bonus, this is just the way the miniature is designed.

Manofkent wrote:
3. If Gandalf gets charged by 2orcs on the evil move, can Aragon charge the orcs on the good move? If so... How does the dice roll work?
Do I roll all 6 good die against the 2 orc die and the top number wins all? So if I get 6, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1. and the orcs get 5, 5. Does that mean that Gandalf and Aragon win the fight, or Aragon wins against one orc and Gandalf looses against the other?

At the start of the fight phase the fights are split up into as many 1v1s as possible, this is explained in the Rulebook. There will never be multiples on both sides, i.e. it will never be 2v2, 3v3, it will only ever be 1v1, 1v2, 1v3 etc.

Manofkent wrote:
Gandalf, Gimli and Aragon have attack of 3 so the good guy rolls 9 die. The Cave troll rolls 3 die.

To determine who wins the fight take the highest dice from both sides. Then the highest of these two dice wins. If it is a draw you look at the highest fight value of boths sides. If the fight values are the same then you roll a D6, 1-3 evil win, 4-6 good win.

a) In this case Good's highest dice is 6 and so is evils. So the fight is a draw. Now you look at the highest fight value from each side. Good's highest is 6 (Aragorn or Gimli). The trolls is 6. So the fight is still a draw. Now you roll a D6. If you roll 1,2 or 3 the troll wins and gets to roll to wound. If you roll 4,5 or 6 the good side win and all 3 of their models get to rolll to wound.

b) In this case the good side's highest dice is 6 and evils is 5, so the good side all get to roll to wound.

Manofkent wrote:
I have had a good look at the rules but I cant seem to get my head round this.
We played a game that lasted ages. The cave troll was attacked by 3 of the fellowship 5times and never had any wounds inflicted but died after being hit by a stone and 2 arrows in one turn. We must have been playing wrong for the game to end that way.

This does sound wrong. Aragorn and Gimli would make light work of a troll if they won the fight. And to get killed by a stone and two arrows in one turn is really unlucky for the troll.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:40 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

woot what a long post :-D
well god, i`ll try to give you the answer as much as possible. I havent gotten the Mines of Moria, but guess the rules are the same so... (if anything of this is wrong plizz correct me guys.)

Quote:

As far as i know Gimli has the possibility to choose between using a 2-handed axe (-1 who wins the fight but +1 to wound) or an normal one.. the other axe counts as a throwing weapon. Gandalf can also choose between his staff (2H) or his sword. None of these may change their opinion during the fight phase (not enough hands..)

Quote:

I dont think this matters in this case. He counts as armored with a normal sword and a bow.

Quote:

I think that there is written that there can never be a multiple combat on both sides. I.e if this happens one orc has to fight against Gandalf and another angainst Aragorn (poor orcs :rofl: ) You always have to break down combats the most possible. The player with priority decides how.

Quote:

In the first case: Since the highest value is equal on each side (6) The model with the higher Fight value (the first value on the profile) wins.

So:
Gandalf: F 5
Gimli: F 6
Aragorn F 6

Cave troll: F 6

you always take the highest fight value from each side so in this case:
Good: F 6
Evil: F 6
In this case the two sides are equal. You have to roll a "random dice"
i.e 1-3 evil side win 4-6 good side win

In the second example the good side wins cause they have a 6 and the cave troll only got a 5

If any more questions should occur please ask, and i am sure you will find loads of members willing to help
:lol:

-The silmarillion by J.R.R Tolkien, first line-
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:45 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Location: Peterborough/Sheffield (Depends on the Time of Year!)
Farmer Giles of Ham wrote:
Quote:

As far as i know Gimli has the possibility to choose between using a 2-handed axe (-1 who wins the fight but +1 to wound) or an normal one.. the other axe counts as a throwing weapon. Gandalf can also choose between his staff (2H) or his sword. None of these may change their opinion during the fight phase (not enough hands..)

Except that Gimli doesn't suffer from the -1. This is how it works for Gimli:

At the start of the fight choose whether you want to use 2 or 3 attacks.
If you use 2 and win the fight you roll 2 dice to wound at Gimli's normal strength. But you then get to add 1 to both dice. So against a troll Gimli would need 5 to wound but if he was using 2 attacks he would only need 4s.
If you use 3 attacks you roll as normal so you would need 5s to wound the troll.

The way this is a tactical choice is because with 2 attacks you have more chance to wound but with 3 you have more chance to win the fight in the first place.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:57 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

No problem. We all start sometime.

1. If you read Gimli's profile, he has 2 attacks. However, he has a special rule where he can choose between using 2 axes, or a 2-hand axe. If he chooses the former, he gets a bonus attack. However, if he uses the 2-hand axe, he gets a +1 bonus to wound, and no penalty to win. It doesn't matter whether your Gimli model is holding 2 axes or the single 2-hand axe, you can still choose to use the other weapon (he is assumed to be carrying it with him as well). When people have a choice between two weapons, they may choose which they will use at the beginning of their fight, before any dice are rolled. You are allowed to use a different weapon during the next turn though.

2. It doesn't matter how the model is posed, you just need to look at their wargear options. However, some models have additional options available to them. These can be purchased for additional points, and they give the model extra choices. I'm not sure what equipment Argorn has in the Mines of Moria rulebook, but I think it is just a hand weapon (if I am wrong, may someone else please correct me). As a result, he will not get a bonus to wound.

In general, if a model has a 2-hand weapon, and a hand weapon, he must choose which one he uses at the beginning of his fight. It does not matter if he has a bow as well.

3. In this scenario, you would split the fight into two seperate fights. The person who wins priority may do this at the beginning of the fight phase. However, there are restrictions. Everyone who has charged someone must be in a fight. Also, you can only be in a fight with someone you are in base contact with. The rulebook explains it a little better, and has some nice examples as well. It will be in the "Fight Phase" section, under the heading "Multiple Combats", or something similar.

In your situation, you would resolve the fight as two 1v1 fights (Gandalf vs the orc he charged, and Aragorn vs the other one).

4. For your example with the cave troll, you treat the fight as two teams, and the person with the highest roll on their side wins. If there is a tie, you compare fighting skill. You always use the highest fighing skill on your side.

For example a), it is a tie, so you would compare fighting skill. Either Aragorn or Gimli has the highest fighting skill on the fellowship's team, so you would use theirs. The cave troll is by himself, so he uses his own. Since both sides have the same fighting skill value, you will roll a dice. On a 1-3, evil wins the fight. On a 4-6, good wins.

For example b), good have the highest roll, so they win.

For your last comment, sometimes the dice can be unpredictable. While there is a lot of strategy in the game, chance can play a big factor as well.

Edit: It seems that a few people have posted while I was writing this.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:55 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Wow. guys guys guys...

Thank you everyone. That really clears things up.

Thank you very much for replying so fast and in such great detail.
I can see that this forum is going to be a really useful tool.

Cant wait to get my next game in to try it out properly.

My girlfriend and I will be posting terrain and finished models soon. But dont worry, our art is much better than our gaming!

Thank you for the warm welcome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:37 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

One more small question...

Using the same senario as before, Gimli, Gandalf and Aragon are fighting the cave troll...

The good guys roll 9 die. The Cave troll rolls 3 die...

The good guys win. How many chances do i get to wound the troll?
Do they still each roll 3 die and have a total of 9 chances to wound him?

Same with Legolas shooting. If he fires 3 arrows, he only needs a 3+ to hit. If he gets all 3 hits on the cave troll he can then wound 3 times and potentially kill him as soon as he enters the tomb.
This doesnt seem right.

But then most of the time you need a 5 or 6 to wound which is only a 1/3 chance. So it seems like hardly anyone ever dies. All our games we end up with all 24 orcs on the table and each fight is simply repeated every turn because no one dies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:50 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Quote:
), it is a tie, so you would compare fighting skill. Either Aragorn or Gimli has the highest fighting skill on the fellowship's team, so you would use theirs. The cave troll is by himself, so he uses his own. Since both sides have the same fighting skill value, you will roll a dice. On a 1-3, evil wins the fight. On a 4-6, good wins.

usally i just re-roll..
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:44 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Firstly, I think you've been reading the profiles wrong.

Quote:

Gandalf only has 1 Attack. The MoM starter set only contains simplified profiles for all warriors. No-one has any special rules, mainly because it throws out the balance of the game, makes it harder to get into for beginner players.

So:

1. Gandalf only has 1 attack.
2. Gimli has 3 attacks, and cannot choose whether to use a 2-handed axe, or dual-wield axes.
3. Legolas is not a Deadly Shot.

The profiles are all listed at the back of MoM 'Read this First' book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:47 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Manofkent wrote:

The good guys win. How many chances do i get to wound the troll?
Do they still each roll 3 die and have a total of 9 chances to wound him?

Yes they do (assuming Gandalf has 3 attacks, which he doesn't). The general rule is that you roll as many dice to wound as you do in the fight. There are exceptions, such as banners and cavalry, but usually the general rule holds.

Quote:
Same with Legolas shooting. If he fires 3 arrows, he only needs a 3+ to hit. If he gets all 3 hits on the cave troll he can then wound 3 times and potentially kill him as soon as he enters the tomb.
This doesnt seem right.

It is right, enjoy it :)

Quote:
But then most of the time you need a 5 or 6 to wound which is only a 1/3 chance. So it seems like hardly anyone ever dies. All our games we end up with all 24 orcs on the table and each fight is simply repeated every turn because no one dies.

You'll find the power structure in the game is quite flat. Even the Balrog has a 33% chance of not wounding a hobbit on each wound roll. It's one of the things I like about it, because it encourages good tactics rather than relying on isolated power.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:56 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Now that you're starting to get the mechanics down, if you have any chance of hooking up with an experienced SBG player and participating in a game you may find some of your deeper questions revealed. There are just some things, such as use of Zones of Control, teaming up in the right situations (or all situations if you're Goblins 8) ) and other on-table tactics that do not reveal themselves very clearly in the rules when you're first learning but which do go a long way to making your forces more effective.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:05 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Great, thank you all.

Is there anywhere I can download a copy of the rules?

I already own the rules, but they areat my girlfriends house (120miles away)and wont be going back for a week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:50 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Manofkent wrote:
Is there anywhere I can download a copy of the rules?

Nope. GW is a business after all...though I sometimes wonder if they wouldn't get more of a following if they offered the rules for free, and covered the cost with the sales from sourcebooks (and models of course).