All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:52 am

Post subject: SBG Best archer/range hero?
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 4:43 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

What's the best archer/range hero in your opinion? I think its Legolas, because his speacial rule is just ownage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 7:59 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Actually, I don't think many people think about this but I think a dragon with breathe fire is the best ranged hero because can Legolas kill any hero in one shot+up to 8 other guys for 1 will?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 8:13 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Well, ok but i actually meant something bowlike :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:17 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

archer/RANGE...

I think legolas is the best archer type hero, I don't know all the new rules though.. but with 3 shots, or 1 auto hit.. well that's good.

If we look at all the range attacks, dragon or trebuchet.
The Dragon for his breath fire, the trebuchet for his insane range attack.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 3:24 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Tell you the truth, I don't like Legolas as an archer. He can fire three shots in one turn, but so can three wood elves for what, thirty points? Legolas has might to influence his rolls, but I don't think that might is well spent for getting quick wounds. It is better used of heroic actions, but let's face it, Heroic Shoot is not that useful. His automatic hit is useful, for say, shooting into combat, but how often is that used in a game to be enough to justify his points? And in close combat, his defence of 4-5 is rather fragile. I can't say that I like to use Legolas, because I never get my points worth of him, and as an Evil player, I find it too easy to kill him.

So sure, Legolas is pretty cool to use, with 3 shots a turn, but I can't say I find him all that useful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 3:50 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

TheEggman wrote:
Tell you the truth, I don't like Legolas as an archer. He can fire three shots in one turn, but so can three wood elves for what, thirty points? Legolas has might to influence his rolls, but I don't think that might is well spent for getting quick wounds. It is better used of heroic actions, but let's face it, Heroic Shoot is not that useful. His automatic hit is useful, for say, shooting into combat, but how often is that used in a game to be enough to justify his points? And in close combat, his defence of 4-5 is rather fragile. I can't say that I like to use Legolas, because I never get my points worth of him, and as an Evil player, I find it too easy to kill him.

So sure, Legolas is pretty cool to use, with 3 shots a turn, but I can't say I find him all that useful.

That is so true what you just said...
Three wood elves can do the same, :lol:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 5:43 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Aragorn's free point of might each turn makes him useful as an archer.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 6:41 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

what about vrashku?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 6:00 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Quote:
what about vrashku?

Yeah he would be in my top 5 archer heros. he has a crossbow 2 shots per turn hits on a 3+ and has 3 might..

Quote:

IMO I think Legolas is really good. Same with heroic shoots I dont use heroic shoots that much but there still good you can move you full move then use a heroic shoot and everyone with in 8cm(or was it 14cm?) can shoot aswell even if they have moved(really good for Xbows). Also legolas is harder to kill than 3 wood elves.. (he has 3 fate). Getting might for quick wounds does help if your 3 kills away from your enemy getting broken(and you winning) what do you do? use all your might!!!! :lol:. Shoot into combat can help, not as much but it can still stop 1 of your other heros getting surrounded.

And why would you put him into close combat?????
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 8:47 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

go vrasku :D :D :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PSeEuu6pW4
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:55 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Legolas can shoot the Shadowlord without having to roll, so he can take him out and allow the rest of the elves to shoot. Also, comparing him with a Wood elf captain and his advantages are clearly shown.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 6:44 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The Avenger Bolt Thrower is quite good, as is the Dwarf Ballista.

When I first started playing I was surprised Faramir didn't have Haldir's Expert Shot rule, or some other archer ability.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 7:28 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I would prefer Wood Elf bowman over Legolas, as you can get 10 of them for the price of Legolas. Although you don't get his special rule or might, you get 7 more shots, you can volley fire and they stand more of a chance in combat than Legolas in my opinion (even though Legolas has defence 4 and fate points, there are 10 Wood Elves to kill instead of 1!)

However, if I was taking 90pts worth of Mirkwood allies, I would go for Legolas as you would have to take a Wood Elf Captain to use the bowmen which would leave you with only enough points for a couple of Wood Elves, so you couldn't take any bows due to the bow limit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:11 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

To be honest, I think Legolas is waaaaay better than 10 wood elf archers, because he dosen't count towards your archer limitation. If you wanted those 10 wood elf archers be my guest, but you would have to get another 20 other wood elves which goes way over the cost of legolas. Might for shooting can be very useful paired up with his automatic hit rule you can pop off a banner or vulnerable hero in a couple of turns even if they are behind loads of guys in a couple of turns as he has a big stock of might. Also, he will keep your archers in line as, chances are, you're going to have your archers seperate from your combat troops.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:28 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thranduil is a very good option as well. Better defense, better base shoot value. I often find he's not viewed as much of a target as Legolas either. If you're playing Wood Elves consider the senior Elf. 8) (in WotR he's even more effective as they actually gave him some base spell capabilities).

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:43 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Quote:
Thranduil is a very good option as well. Better defense, better base shoot value. I often find he's not viewed as much of a target as Legolas either. If you're playing Wood Elves consider the senior Elf. (in WotR he's even more effective as they actually gave him some base spell capabilities).

Yeah thranduil is alright but for his points i would rather get legolas even if he does have and elven cloak, higher deffence and a magic spell that he can use once a game (thats actually pretty good). Legolas is just better lol.. If you take away all of thranduils equipment though he comes up to the same points value as haldir. Which is good i would way rather take thranduil with out any equipment than haldir :P .

Usally thranduil is my second option if i dont feel like having legolas.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:25 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

How is Thranduial as good as legolas? Well he has that circlet of kings thing but he doesnt have any bow speacial rule, does he?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:26 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Azrael wrote:
How is Thranduial as good as legolas? Well he has that circlet of kings thing but he doesnt have any bow speacial rule, does he?

He's not as good as Legolas range-wise but IMO he makes a better leader but I suppose that's not the topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:02 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I believe Thranduil hits on a 2+. He may only get one shot but he'll nail it even more often than Leggy. So in range terms he's the best basic shot in the game that I know of, and the Circlet really does help a lot supporting his army in a melee (which boosts his overall effectiveness as a leader).

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:47 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Quote:
I believe Thranduil hits on a 2+. He may only get one shot but he'll nail it even more often than Leggy. So in range terms he's the best basic shot in the game

no, with one shot legolas hits automatically, so hes the best. thranduils still v.good though